Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supporters' Director Article 'I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.'

Apologies but I think Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and I can see daniel waving goodbye
God it looks like daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

If someone can convert it to a sticky many thanks

View from the Boardroom:

22 February 2007
To misquote Shakespeare: 'I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.'

Saturday's game against West Ham will be billed as Curbs' return and, in another time or another place, it would have been right and fitting to pay tribute to him. But not this Saturday.

I dislike the revisionism that is taking place in some quarters that Curbs didn't do a good job for Charlton.

You only have to look at where we were and where we are to understand that - but I said I come to bury Caesar not to praise him. That debate is for later.

Right now we have to beat another team level with us on points in the relegation mire.

Who the manager is is a side issue for chatting about in the pub after we have fought for and won the three points. There is a huge amount a stake.

Some people wanted a change from "boring, mid-table finishes" and now they've got it.

So it's time to put what Curbs did to the back of our minds for 90 minutes and get behind Pardew and the team.

By all means give Curbs - and Keith Peacock and Mervyn Day - a polite clap as they walk along the touch line to the AWAY dugout but that will be enough.

We have another manager, another Caesar, now. Alan Pardew is the boss and this is his team.

That is clear not just with the new players drafted in but the belief and organisation that he has instilled in all his legionnaires since his arrival.

Now it's our turn as fans to show everyone at The Valley or watching or listening elsewhere who our manager is and how much we back him.

And that includes the West Ham fans in the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Think back to the last time they came to the Valley facing relegation.

We put four goals past them and they sang "we need a new back four."

We need to get behind Pardew and the team from the off to remind all those Hammers, on and off the pitch, just what they are missing out on.

Despite his long service, Curbs' name was rarely sung by the Charlton crowd but the time for that has passed.

We have a new manager and it's his song that needs to be sung.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Contact Ben Hayes at: ben@charltonfansdirector.co.uk

Comments

• I always read your article in my 'new' local paper dood, and its got a great pic of you 2! Mrs mcs always picks up the paper and says 'ha ha i know him lol'

Much better paper than the mercury!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I always read your article in my 'new' local paper dood, and its got a great pic of you 2! Mrs mcs always picks up the paper and says 'ha ha i know him lol'

Much better paper than the mercury!

So she does!
  • Quality and inspiring post Henry
  • Cheers Steve.
  • Excellent sermon.
  • Sorry, it's the cold I've got.
  • I've told you before that I as far back as I can remember I always wanted to be Tony Parsons.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I've told you before that I as far back as I can remember I always wanted to be Tony Parsons.

surely you mean Tony Blackburn?
  • err no. Danny Baker maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]err no. Danny Baker maybe.

You want to be a Spanner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????

Shame on you Henry!!!!!!!!!
  • Of all the things to be accused of!!! never, ever, ever.

BTW I invented the term Spanner for Millwall fans in Henry Irving's fifth Column circa 1995. Most likley tells you something about me that I'm so proud of that. :-(
  • Really!!!!???

Must stop using that post haste ;-)