Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carlisle 0 - 1 Charlton - Post match reports from those there (2012)

Comments

• So glad we were there. Thought it was fate when I first saw the fixtures, after two seasons of Carlisle (a) in October, finally it was in April. Been building up to this all season. Then the doubts creep in - I wasn't actually there in 81 or 86, but was going to be this time. It would be typical Charlton for it not to work out. But this is no longer typical Charlton - this is SCP's Charlton and we are winners! A black cat crossed our path as we walked towards the ground before the match - the omens were with us. (If Chrissie gets all sentimental that it was meant to be, then so will I!) Got a bit cross with a guy along the row who called BWP some choice names after he missed the one-on-one, but we were shaking hands by the end, and he was as pleased as anyone that BWP scored. And what a farce by the stewards and police to start with, refusing to let us celebrate. I was very proud that we all patiently stood our ground, with chants of "We're not going anywhere" until common sense prevailed and they let the team back out. Very emotional seeing what it meant to all of them - even fringe players like Sullivan in the thick of it - and especially SCP when he had his "moment" and wandered off alone down the other end of the pitch.

Then back to a smart pub in Carlisle (yes, we found one) for champagne and Guinness - mmmm lovely. Then the last train back to Glasgow at 8pm before the bus replacement service, and a couple more glasses of fizz here. Ludicrously we both managed to fall asleep on the sofa before Charlton were on FLS - woke up to hear about the last two words of SCP's interview. I hate that programme!!

But what a day, and what a place - now we need Carlisle to get up through the play-offs so we can go for a repeat performance next season! After all, we only get promoted at Carlisle or Wembley, it seems!!

And finally, it's so lovely to be able to come on here and share experiences with the wider CAFC community - Charlton Life makes moments like this all the more special.
  • How do you put it in words? I'll give it a go!
    Picked up at 4:45am from Bluewater by 3 complete strangers and the day just got epic from there on in!
    The match itself was very tight and hated every minute of it. Twitter being updated constantly to get info from Colchester, false rumours about goals flying around the crowd did no favours.
    Then came the goal, the big surge towards the front, sheer elation! I spent the rest of the game stood on my seat. Johnnie Jackson coming over for the corner and asking 'What's the Wednesday score?' to the heaving throng of fans gathered in the corner added to the moment. I was close to tears in injury time, I wasn't sure if I could take it anymore, I was just so desperate for Sheffield Weds to finish. At full time I refused to celebrate until Colchester was confirmed. When it was.....on the pitch to join the others!
    I got lost from my 'group' but it didn't matter. Strangers hugging strangers. Rolling about the turf. We'd done it!
    The stewards did their job but did it in a mostly friendly way. Groups of fans were shaking the hands of the stewards and police, it was brilliant.
    Then when they all came back out, flags and champagne in tow....well, wow. Just topped it all off, The long drive back went in an instant. The memories will stay forever. image
  • 5 am till 12am the ultimate away day. can't describe the tension in the final minutes. i didn't know whether to join in with premature optimists or stand in the seats so i did both.pacing up and down like a drill seargent dreading the news of a wednesday goal. people falsely saying wednesday were winning and falsely reporting it was full time and they had drawn did nothing to ease my heart rate. full time and i thought f!!k it i'm going on the pitch. shortly the news was spreading wednesday had drawn. following the news was jubilant celebration. well worth the 12 hours on the road. we did it.
  • Still hasn't sunk in, the last near 24 hours have just been a blur. Great result. Great squad. My god what a bloke to have as manager. Celebrations pitchside were mental when the goal went in but it all then went totally bonkers for a good five minutes first with the FT and then with the news about Wednesday. Still stink of booze, hair reeks of it, jeans pretty much ruined, trainers no longer white, no idea where my bank card is but sod it all.

WE ARE UP AND WE WERE THERE!!!!!!
  • It was one of those great away games that you just feel lucky to be at.

The actual match was pretty poor. Carlisle slightly shaded it in the first half although the best chance fell to N'Guessan who ballooned the ball over from about 7 yards after a goalmouth scramble. Charlton fans who were snuck away in the corner made good noise throughout the first half and there was a real feel of excitement after we heard that Colchester had gone 1-0 up. Chants of ‘Col-ches-ter, Col-ches-ter’ were heard as well as ‘There’s only one Kevin Lisbie’ who put Leyton Orient 1-0 up against Sheffield United. A few fans thought it would be a good idea to spread the word that Sheff Wed had gone 2-0 down which promoted ten confused minutes of people looking at their phones waiting for the imaginary goal to be reported. The Carlisle ground staff were good humoured and there was beer available at half time which gave the fans more energy to continue singing during the break.

Attacking the end where their fans were in the second half, Charlton started to get more possession. Stephens put in a rather frustrating performance. Twice in two minutes playing hospital balls which led to Carlisle counter-attacks and on other occasions playing nice through balls to BWP or N'Guessan. Pritchard played well and won a few challenges you wouldn’t expect him to win. Our biggest threat though came from Johnnie Jackson’s dangerous corners. Leon Cort went close with a header (33/1 first goal scorer always a good shout) and Kermorgant was denied by a good save from the keeper, Adam Collin.

Our fans started getting a bit nervy when news began filtering through that Llera had equalised for Sheff Wed, and Carlisle almost made the breakthrough when Liam Noble struck the inside of the post with a nice shot from outside the area. It was a corner from the right that brought the goal though, Kermie almost scoring from a header before BWP poked home after a Stephens knock down. Charlton fans erupted jubilantly and the emotions proved too much for some fans who managed to get down from the stand to the side of the pitch. BWP ran over to the fans (earning a yellow in the process) and there was a nice moment as what seemed like the whole team started grabbing each other while being hugged by their ecstatic supporters. The last 15 minutes of the game seemed to take an hour to finish and Charlton fans continued supporting the team by bouncing up and down and exchanging songs with the group who had made it down by the pitch.
    The pitch invasion at the end was something that was always going to happen. Carlisle didn’t have many stewards and, despite some putting up a good fight, at least 100 fans made it onto the pitch. I saw that a couple of the Metropolitan police had made it up there, but one of them had a Charlton phone cover, so it looked as if they had just come along for a free ticket!

Aside from the celebrations at the end, the best moment was in stoppage time when Johnnie Jackson yelled at the supporters ‘What’s the Wednesday score?’ which prompted everyone to hold up their fingers indicating 1-1. It was nice to get promoted at such a faraway ground as it meant that the real hardcore following were allowed to celebrate in style and this will be a day that will live in the memory for a long time.
  • I don't smoke, but my Cuban cigar on the pitch at the end tasted mighty fine. (Thanks Jim!)
  • Can't stop smiling today, brilliant day out. As for the game it was scrappy, they hit the post and BWP and Kerms missed a few chances but the final whistle was brilliant. Made the 12 hour coach journey totally worth it

Nice to meet Covered End as well
  • After getting stuck on the M1 for 2 hours last night (meaning we got home around 3am) & then had a game myself this morning, thought I'd wait til now to do my review. Although it still hasn't sunk in.
    Not the best performance. Defended what they threw at us well, but for the most part what they threw at us was down to a mistake from us (giving the ball away easily or having no options from a throw).
    Great atmosphere throughout. The news of the Colchester goal came at the right time to keep everyone excited.
    BWP should have scored from his 1-on-1 (& i must admit I thought he had a poor game & was waiting for him to be replaced) but shows the goalscorer he is with the finish.
    I somehow managed to fly forward 4 rows when he scored & came over to us. I actually ended up on the top of bundle with him, Wagstaff & JJ.
    Longest 15 minutes that followed, but we never looked like losing a goal, so was just waiting for the Sheff W score. Great scenes at the end with the "pitch invasion", the joy that everyone had (fans, players, staff) & the wait around for the celebrations with SCP.
    4 points for the title. . .
  • How good is Leon Cort we must keep this guy he is amazing with solly and mozza and wiggins

That defence will not struggle in the championship

How he sat on the bench so long

Leon Cort you were immense yesterday my man absolute monster of a player
  • The greatest football day of my life.

I woke up at 5.30am and went to sleep at 1.30am the next day. Between that time I experienced the best feeling you can get from a football match and the love for our football club. The trip up to Carlisle was good and the roads were clear. We got to the ground about 1.30pm and as soon as 3pm came around, the mayhem began. As the early news filtered through that Colchester had took the lead, us fans went mad celebrating almost as if we had scored ourselves. In the opening period it was clear to everyone we were not at our best and Carlisle were the better side, quick interchanging of passes and runners from midfield. However, we did squander a huge chance with Dany N'Guessan firing well over the bar from inside the 6 yard box. It was key we went in at half time all square.

Second half we were the better side, Kermorgant seemed to drop deeper and help out the midfield and our passing game, which we saw so much of at the start of the season, came into play. Wright-Phillips was put through after some good hard work to regain possession and a lovely deft touch and pass from Yann; Collins made a good save. This was a sign of things to come. Jackson's corners were a danger throughout whether it was from the left or right. Kermorgant had a strong header brilliantly saved from a Jackson corner from the left hand side and from the resulting corner, this time from the right hand side, Jackson again produced a great corner and Stephens rose up at the back post to head down for the simplest of finishes for Wright-Phillips. Us travelling lot went wild and it was then when we knew that this is our day that we can say, we're back.

As the last 14 minutes seemed like an eternity I made my way down to the front and was eager for the final whilstle to go. As soon as it did there was a tiny moment of where we were holding on for the confirmation that Wednesday had drew and we were promoted. Once we knew, I ran on the pitch and celebrated with Kermorgant, Wagstaff, and Pritchard as the chaos around me grew. The jubilant scenes carried on and the celebrations was one I will never forget along with the whole day itself. We sang and sang whilst we were waiting for Chris Powell and the players to come out and join our celebrations for the final time before we went. I can honestly say after all the emotions and celebrations that went on throughout the day and the game, the moment that made me cry, I'm proud to admit I did, was when I saw Chris Powell wipe the tears away from his eyes.

We did it. Championship, here we come!
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't know about anyone else but that stephens header seemed to take forever to get to BWP and in!

Didn't get away till about half 5 either. One of the best non family related moments of my life!
  • edited April 2012
    Absolutely amazing day, only just coming to terms with it now.

Was in The Griffin like most others on here before the game. Then moved to the Rugby Club for a couple before kick off. Met lots of new faces as well as lots of old friends. Could feel the atmosphere growing before the game and a feeling of anticipation. You could tell that loads of us just had that feeling that something special was going to happen.

The game itself is a bit of a blur now. We were solid throughout - the whole defence was class. JJ's set pieces were spot on all afternoon as usual and we always most likely to score from one (Dale Stephens corner wasn't quite as impressive...turns out he does a lot better at the back post!). As for the crowd, we were quality and sang throughout.

The goal was mayhem- hugged everyone in sight, got knocked over the row in front, knocked someone else over the row in front...shins completely ruined this morning. The sight of the players on the pitch at that moment will live long in the memory...they were going just as crazy as we were. After that, I never felt like we would concede or Massive would score. It seemed destined to happen.

Highlights from the final whistle- Wagstaff coming over to celebrate with the fans and giving the stewards what for, Bradley coming over and banging the drum. The wait for the players to come back out just made it even better when they did. The sight of CP was enough to bring a tear to everyone's eyes. Complete jubilation.

Then for the party train home- absolutely awesome. Completely took over a carriage, maybe even 2 carriages of the train. Singing, drinking, champagne...just an incredible feeling.

Will never forget it.
  • What a fantastic day. Went up with my brother palcafc "fck me what a day. Set out at 4 am and still partying in carlisle. The birds were ugly earlier but they are really fit now. Top day" and can only echo what he says except the birds did stay ugly.

Tension was unbearable - support was great - I was determined to be there when we got promoted and was so glad I was.
  • Drove up there with my brother, 7am til midnight was a long old day but it seemed to fly past.
    Non stop singing, cracking atmosphere. The way nobody moved at the final whistle just waiting for the players to come back, quality.
    Noticed Powell walk off on his own at the end and could see how emotional he was, just made me love the guy even more.
    Can't really remember much of the match, just looking at the Wendies score and remember Cort and Pritchard playing excellent.
    4pm Sunday and I still not got my voice back, still don't think its sunk in that we are up.

So proud to be able to say 'I WAS THERE'

Can't wait for the last 3 games now.
  • A truly cracking away day, the goal celebration, final whistle & Powelly being tossed in the air by the players will live long in the memory. Champagne bottles being popped on platform and on train on way back. Special thanks to NLA and his balls of steel, Nathan for providing prematch entertainment in Griffin, met Elfsborg addick on train home. Feel dog rough today just pleased I went, the support from our fans though was superb throughout. Proud to be an addick.
  • edited April 2012
    I wrote this earlier regarding the trip yesterday, so feel free to take a look for a more detailed version of events (with pictures): http://t.co/nunreRUD

The game itself was very nervy, chances at either end but nobody clinical enough to take them. BWP spurned a glorious chance in the second half and we were thinking it might not actually happen. But it was meant to be. Favourable results elsewhere meant that when a chance was finally taken, everyone exploded in a mixture of utter elation and sheer relief. The same happened when the Wednesday result came through two minutes after our final whistle. Players and fans all going mad. I have to say it was the best ever pitch invasion, given how good-natured everybody was. No malicious intent or swamping of players, just the supporters wishing to express their joy with their heroes. It was brilliant. The players coming back out afterwards as well was special. Chris Powell, like many of us, was in tears. It was a wonderful day.
  • edited April 2012
    Great day out with number one son and all the fellow addicks who witnessed the phoenix rising from the ashes. Not going to bother reporting specifically on the game but suffice to say I had predicted another workmanlike performance based on a solid rearguard and taking one of the opportunites that will always come our way in this league which is exactly how it panned out. Leon (they shall not pass) Cort outstanding again, Chris (you'll never beat him) Solly so consistently good and Bradley (What a find) Pritchard worked his socks off. We were of course dependant on results going for us and I, like many others, shed a tear as I looked at my late father's watch (Dad had to be there in some shape or form) as injury time drew to a close and the unexpected became reality. Joyous scenes never to be forgotten and six years of hurt and despair now behind us. Thank you SCP for playing such a major part in giving all us long suffering Addicks our club back. Happy days are here again so rejoice all you Addicks you thoroughly deserve it!
  • The match itself was okay , a bit scrappy and tense , one or two moments of skill , sublime passing from Kermo etc , but it was more about the occasion , and getting the result , what happened yesterday still hasn't sunk in , and probably won't until the fixtures come out.

That was up there with Wembley 98 , maybe not in terms of scale of stadium , quantity of goals in the match , numbers of fans there, but purely a sheer relief from constant decline and failure , & the hope that brighter times may be round the corner , you would have thought we'd won the fa cup or something , with the sheer joy & elation that was going on around me a special .. special day , they don't come along too often , and i was very pleased i went, i really hope this spills into our remaining matches and that people can enjoy the matches with a smile on their faces.
  • I don't smoke, but my Cuban cigar on the pitch at the end tasted mighty fine. (Thanks Jim!)
    Was it you asking us for a light for your Cuban on the walk back to the station, Off_it ? If so, good to have met you !

Echo everything that's already been said. Long day starting at 5.30am ( Yes, it takes a good while to apply the polyfilla these days !) and followed by the 7.30 bullet from Ebbsfleet to St P . with pal, Don. Then onto Euston where lots of familiar faces were in evidence inc Bren Britt and finally carriage A for the trip norf. Sat in the " quiet zone" which soon became the "noisy zone" when joined by Shelley, Charlotte & co who generously offered to share some of their "lemonade" with us. Spoke with guy from Shooters Hill ( Rob ? ) who now lives in California & was accompanied by his 2 sons and was due to fly home today, I believe. SO pleased he witnessed the promotion after his pilgrimage back to the old homestead.

Arrived at Carlisle totally sober but having had a lucky escape from a multi coloured yawn in carriage A ...'nuff said ! Met Ralph and Simon and then onwards to the Rugby Club accompanied by Seb's bro, Olly and some sober conversation and guffaws when I mixed up Ainsley and Callum Harriott BEFORE taking a wee dram ! Met a couple of lovely Addicks and some NWKers who had made the trip, then a couple of white wines ( just for luck , of course ) and a nice ham bap before making our way to the ground to meet up with Bob, Ryan, Dave and Ian who had braved the motorway .

And of course there was THE match. Won't attempt to describe events on the pitch as that has been well documented but the scenes following our goal and then the final whistle were something to behold. What will stay with me forever ? Well, the obvious bond between the players and the faithful which was SO evident brings a lump to my throat as I type this - long may it continue - and of course the sheer joy on the faces of those both on and off the pitch as the celebrations began. Oh that I had the nerve and agility to scale the barrier and join the revellers as many did but it would have been somewhat demeaning to request assistance....Big James crying his eyes out and not caring who saw him is another memory which will stay with me too.

But remembering the sight of that solitary figure slowly making his way across the pitch to commune with his Man will tug at my heart strings for many a moon . At one point, he punched the air in sheer euphoria and then quietly gave his thanks which moved him, and me, to tears. How we love this guy...and how he loves us all.

A fairly quiet return to London as we were again in the "quiet zone" ...Just lots of chat about what we had witnessed and what the future, immediate and long term holds for us. The concensus was to aim for 100 points and to be crowned Champions in the short term and to regain our place in the Prem in the longer term. All were in agreement that Michael Slater & Tony Jiminez had done what it says on the tin ....and that their appointment of SCP followed by his insightful signings was sheer genius. In all 3 we truly trust.

Home around 10.30 in plenty of time to watch the Football League Show and hear Steve C congratulate us on our success...Difficult to get to sleep and awakened by a text bleep at 8.30am informing us that we had a new granddaughter - a "little" sister weighing 9lbs 10ozs for 4 year old Louis. The perfect end to a perfect weekend.

It's good to be back !!!!!!

• Picked up at 4.45 am, Mini bus got in to Carlise just after 11.30am to meet the Dundee Boys and others that had made there way up by differant means.
    Good in the Griffin before hand and after which I think we left at around 9ish to head home.
    Good in the ground apart from the steward who who thought he was clever when we scored
    Tried picking Solly up but just landed on my arse after the final whistle lol.
    Back indoors by 4am. Great day
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow Fanny F, a new granddaughter many many congratulations. Wonderful.
  • Just in from work after a 13 hour shift. Yesterday's complete joy carried me through the whole day. Thought i'd post up the rest of the vids i took. Hope some of you can make yourselves out on there.
    http://youtu.be/qE-HoY8rTMc
    http://youtu.be/YgvYm1Geil0
    http://youtu.be/s7XhMhXGR7U

Enjoy, again and again.
    Was it you asking us for a light for your Cuban on the walk back to the station, Off_it ? If so, good to have met you !

Sounds like it could be me Fanny. There were three of us puffing away on them - I was the taller, best looking (and fatter) one!

• edited April 2012
    Bit of a blog I've done:

It began in Dublin three years ago. For the first time in my life, Charlton had been banished from the top two tiers of English football. Saturday afternoons instead meant long, arduous trips to the likes of Exeter, Stockport and Chesterfield. Football though, has a strange way of working in cycles.

Since those boozed fuelled couple of days in Ireland, a lot has happened. There have been times like Yeovil amid a deluge where you question your own sanity. Carlisle two years ago I sat alone on the coach for fourteen hours to see a 3-1 loss. Southampton where I was so ill I couldn’t even watch the game. Thankfully I was 6000 miles away in Sao Paulo for the Swindon playoff loss.

There have been some good times as well. Seeing us win 5-1 at Peterborough will live long in the memory, as will the recent nine man victory at Oldham. Equally, some of the stupid, drunken situations I’ve found myself in won’t be forgotten. For example, the trouble after Luton, repeatedly missing trains back from Huddersfield, two unintentional days out in Leicester within weeks, and a few of the events which occurred at Brunton Park on Saturday.

We all know what happened so I won’t lay out the scenarios. Given our previous promotions there in 1981 and 1986 and the fact that Rocky IV was on as I was due home, it did feel like it could be The Day. Though an expensive journey, the potential reward far outweighed the risk involved and so a 660 miles round trip it was.

My memory of the whole day is hazy. Having skipped food, a liquid lunch was my only sustenance in what turned into a test of endurance. I didn’t even see a balti pie, nor much of the game. I didn’t even know who’d scored. Setting up the tensest of finales, emotions began to run high. It’s days like that which are why we go to football, and why we go back for more after wasting thousands of pounds going up and down the country.

Then at around 4:55pm the final whistle went. By then I was already crying, I had no idea that Sheffield Wednesday still had a couple of minutes to go. We were set, this was the moment that all Charlton supporters had waited three long years for. And so on to the pitch it was amid a cacophony of chants, cheers and sobs. The players duly obliged, all happy to grab a hug or shake a hand. I returned to the stand after an accidental diversion via the Brunton Park turf.

Heading to town and missing our train, the evening degenerated into a blur. I can recall the post-match pub and champagne, then little of the trip back. I do know however, that we took over a carriage or two, and I woke in London with Charlton a Championship side again.

• Echo everything that's already been said. Long day starting at 5.30am ( Yes, it takes a good while to apply the polyfilla these days !) and followed by the 7.30 bullet from Ebbsfleet to St P . with pal, Don. Then onto Euston where lots of familiar faces were in evidence inc Bren Britt and finally carriage A for the trip norf. Sat in the " quiet zone" which soon became the "noisy zone" when joined by Shelley, Charlotte & co who generously offered to share some of their "lemonade" with us. Spoke with guy from Shooters Hill ( Rob ? ) who now lives in California & was accompanied by his 2 sons and was due to fly home today, I believe. SO pleased he witnessed the promotion after his pilgrimage back to the old homestead.

Yes, Fanny, that was us. back in San Francisco now. It was nice to meet you. Congratulations on your new grand daughter. :-)

• such an incredible atmosphere.

really enjoyed seeing charlton fans in their cars on the way home. nearly crashed several times waving my arms at them!

just such a good day!
  • Did anyone else make a weekend of it? Can't imagine anything more perfect than lunch with Mrs Oliver Street overlooking Lake Windemere on Friday afternoon and the match on Saturday and meat and potato pies from up north!

I think SCP has found the same winning formula as SAF... it's not reliant on us playing fast, fluent and poetic football. We seem to have an eco-drive option where we don't use up too much energy, don't concede goals and play a full 90 minute game with plenty in store - like the way we transformed the game after Carlisle hit the post. Look at Spurs as one of those 'powder puff' teams who do rely on constant movement, possession and passing (Barca are something else though) and how they stop winning when they can't maintain that level.

imageimageimage
  • Wow, I've finally managed to sober up!

What a day that was. Woke up constantly throughout the night Friday, firstly realising I hadn't set my alarm for the morning then waking up again realising I'd set it for Monday! As it happens I was wide awake at 5.45, 15 mins before it was due to go off anyway.

I knew it was an omen when I won a prize on my capri sun waiting on the station platform.

Met up with @Ketman and Sid at Euston at 8 and the journey seemed to fly by.

The match seemed pretty scrappy with little in the way of chances but Carlisle playing some really nice stuff.

Then THAT goal. The crowd went mental, what a great way to win promotion!

It seemed like an age for the whistle to go and for it all to be confirmed, JJ asking what the Sheff Weds score was, was excellent.

Due down at the training ground with @WSS on Thursday and I can't wait!
  • Were the Uggs worn??? and if so were your tootsies nice and warm??