Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Hayes

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
Hi.

I probably missed the chat somewhere on this already, but does anyone know why Paul Hayes was not even on the bench yesterday? Without meaning to sound cruel i kinda hope it was because he was injured rather than being dropped. Not because he played particularly well against Huddersfield, but more because he must feel absolutely gutted to return to Charlton after playing regularly and scoring for Wycombe only to be dropped once Kermorgant is back and then to not even make the bench.

Don't get me wrong i think Kermorgant is a much stronger player (he is one of my thoughts for Player of the Year), i just feel sorry for Hayes if there was no real reason he was dropped.

Comments

• If he was dropped for Kermogant then there was a real reason, unfortuntely the greater good of the club overrides fairness to Hayes. I like Hayes and it is unfortunate, hopefully he can go back to Wycombe as an emergency loan or something, but CP has to do what is right for the club not necessarily what is right for Hayes
  • Overheard him talking, just left out and he was bitterly disappointed but said you just have to go along with the manager.

Also said that the recent dip is due to fatigue in the squad more than anything.

Said he had a great time at Wycombe.
  • Charlton is his main club and employer. We may need him but at the same time, I feel some sympathy for him and Wycombe, particularly if he doesn't play or make the subs bench. Football is a tough game, Chris Powell and the management team are putting the club first, which is how it should be.
  • edited April 2012
    If he was dropped for Kermogant then there was a real reason, unfortuntely the greater good of the club overrides fairness to Hayes. I like Hayes and it is unfortunate, hopefully he can go back to Wycombe as an emergency loan or something, but CP has to do what is right for the club not necessarily what is right for Hayes
    To be honest i appreciate that and yes my post did suggest i meant that Hayes shouldn't have been dropped for Kermorgant (out of the two i would have Kermorgant in my team over Hayes any day). My intention was as to the understanding as to why he was dropped from the squad completely and not even on the bench.
  • edited April 2012
    If fit then he's behind Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips, Haynes and presumably N'Guesson. Feel sorry for him after SCP saying he wouldn't bring him back not to feature but as already said the greater good must always come first. Think he will be gone in the summer. The new Paul Benson ?
  • Agree with Kap. Team has to come first harsh as that maybe on PH and Wycombe.
  • A classic example of the football world being a very tough place at times (despite the riches and life-style that it brings).
    SCP is a lovely man as we all know, but I'm reassured in the knowlege that he seems to be also showing us all that he can be quite ruthless when push comes to shove....maybe he's had to make a tough decision with this one, after all, it was a tough decision to call him back from Wycombe in the first place.
  • Unfortunately there is no room for sentiment in football as I learnt to my cost in my playng days. I had a go at our manager for leaving my mate out so he dropped me and put my mate in next game! The message was clearly understood; look after number one and make sure you hold your own place down! SCP will not prefer Hayes to a fit Yann and favoured Ngessan on the bench as he offers more as an impact player with his strength and pace justifying his selection with a goal. I actually had Hayes instead of Ngessan in the pre match prediction thread but the simple fact is SCP didn't fancy him yesterday and with 4 outfield players on the bench it doesn't help his cause.
  • Overheard him talking, just left out and he was bitterly disappointed but said you just have to go along with the manager.

Also said that the recent dip is due to fatigue in the squad more than anything.

Said he had a great time at Wycombe.
    Thats fair play and answers my question. I wasn't questioning Powells choice as i agree Kermorgant is a better player to have when fit, i was asking if anyone knew why he was dropped and not even on the bench.

I hope they start to allow more subs again next year. Would make things a lot easier.

• SCP will not prefer Hayes to a fit Yann and favoured Ngessan on the bench as he offers more as an impact player with his strength and pace justifying his selection with a goal.

Agree with this. Hayes was disappointingly poor at Hudds. He played well the 1st 10 mins & then just disappeared. He doesn't do himself any favours, by refusing to jump for a ball, even if only a few inch jump is required.
  • Sponsored links:

• The reason why he was "poor" and hardly got a kick at Huddersfield was because we still played our Yann long-ball tactics when we didn't even have Yann on the pitch.
  • We shouldn't have to change to fit Paul Hayes, he needs to deal with the tactics we're playing, and get on with it.

N'Gussan showed why he's a better bet off the bench yesterday
  • To be fair it would not have taken much of a change to stop walloping 60 yard long balls up to a centre forward who isn't capable of winning them because that is not where his strengths lie.

Whether Hayes is or isn't worthy of a place in the 16 is irrelevant to the fact that it was a lack of common sense that did more damage to us tactically than Huddersfield could muster.
  • i dont see anything in hayes and i havent all season , i know that some see him as the cog that makes us tick when we get it on the deck, but i dont think you can play Hayes over Kermy , i also dont think you can play Hollands and Stephens , for all those that slated Russell the huge gap between hollands and stephens against better opposition will cost us
  • i dont see anything in hayes and i havent all season , i know that some see him as the cog that makes us tick when we get it on the deck, but i dont think you can play Hayes over Kermy , i also dont think you can play Hollands and Stephens , for all those that slated Russell the huge gap between hollands and stephens against better opposition will cost us
    Totally agree with this view. I don't really see Hayes as anything other than a squad player. Doesn't bring enough to the table to suggest he should be a starter. Think Powell thinks this too which is why I believe his future with us is until we find a buyer. Very disappointed with Stephens because during the first few months of the season I thought he was going to be a very influential player for us for some time. In truth he doesnt control midfield like I thought he would and as nla says cannot play with Hollands. This central midfield position is where we really need to put all our effort in the summer because too often in this shite league our midfield has been outplayed and I put no blame on either Holands or Jackson for that. I for one would like to see Hughes brought in to stiffen that area up and make us more combative and harder to dictate. Doubt we will see it though. As for Dale I hope he has a good rest during the summer and comes back the player I think he could be.

• I like Hayes but let's not go over the top here, he was left out yesterday - doesn't mean he's not going to play a part between now and the end of the season. N'Guessan could be recalled to Millwall, Bradley's knee could go, Yann could get injured from the amount of kickings he gets. When it comes to the final 6 games of the season, its all about what's best for the club I'm afraid.

I wouldn't say I feel sorry for Wycombe as some are. Afterall he had enough of an impact to get them into a much better position. Those goals and points he gave them still stand.
  • Just put Wycombe 1 nil up -- well done , deserved it.
  • Move on
  • Cheers , nice eve pal
  • Sponsored links:

• I liked Paul Hayes when he was with us, so I was glad to see that. I can see him netting against Southend too.
  • I liked Paul Hayes when he was with us, so I was glad to see that. I can see him netting against Southend too.

Hope he does. After Corr missed that pen costing me 4k, I hope Southend never win another game ever
  • edited August 2017
    Noticed on his twitter that he thanked WWFC and he listed CAFC youth coach on his headline thing. Anyone else heard anything or is it Crewe haha.
  • Noticed on his twitter that he thanked WWFC and he listed CAFC youth coach on his headline thing. Anyone else heard anything or is it Crewe haha.

Good spot. Not heard anything about that before but glad to see him back.
  • Noticed on his twitter that he thanked WWFC and he listed CAFC youth coach on his headline thing. Anyone else heard anything or is it Crewe haha.

I knew he had left Wycombe (indeed Umerah was a sort of replacement for him) and hadn't realised he had joined us as a youth coach. He's only 33, perhaps he could be playing up front for us on Saturday!
  • I didn't think he was an out and out front man for us but provided a good link between midfield and BWP.
  • iaitch said:

I didn't think he was an out and out front man for us but provided a good link between midfield and BWP.

A number 10 as Karl would say.
  • I remember when he was here BWP absolutely loved him. Served things on a plate for him
  • Hope we get his registration as a player. If we don't sign a striker we will surely need him.