Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Train to Carlisle (No charter train)

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
Was just checking out the train times/prices for a "what if" scenario and can't believe they are currently asking 68 sheets EACH WAY! And even then that's for one of them "no refund" tickets.

Scandalous.

Comments

• i looked as well shocking prices
  • can get there for £42 on eastcoast still expensive though
  • Go via Birmingham..long though, I'm doing that way on the return leg and it's taking 4:47mins for £27.80 with a YP Railcard...might get round to reading my book I got in June last year but aint started yet
  • well that will hardly be cheaper than the £42 direct will it
  • on trainline 0930 train is £41.50

1852 back is £51.55 or you can get the 1909 train which takes 13 hours & 4 mins and costs £33
  • Absolutely shocking.
  • Absolutely shocking.
    Coach?
  • gotta be the coach for £25
  • Wouldn't get on an official coach to Carlisle if you paid me!
  • Absolutely shocking.
    Coach?
    I'm not under 16 or over 60.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely shocking.
    Coach?
    Then stop moaning then bitch
  • guess it depends how much you really want to be there! coach isn't ideal but if its the only decent offer on the table..
  • Absolutely shocking.
    Coach?
    Excuse me?

Someone's looking for a dry slap.
  • Absolutely shocking.
    Coach?
    Excuse me?

Someone's looking for a dry slap.
    At least it's not a dry hump, that would be plain wrong and mentally scarring
  • with only two of us wanting to go meaning £50 each in petrol it looks like the coach is favourite
  • I have just spent the last half hour looking to see how much it would be to charter a plane to Carlisle airport, without much success.

And I'm not even drunk.
  • I even looked at flying to Glasgow and getting a train down, no luck. :-(
  • Was just checking out the train times/prices for a "what if" scenario and can't believe they are currently asking 68 sheets EACH WAY! And even then that's for one of them "no refund" tickets.

Scandalous.
    http://www.buytickets.virgintrains.co.uk/categorymatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable
    I hope this helps a bit, I know you have to split your journey but I have tried!
    I know it is not always possible, and this has been discussed before but if you can book tickets once they go on sale, like me, I paid £32 return
  • Wouldn't get on an official coach to Carlisle if you paid me!
    We would have to leave now to ensure getting in on time, ahem
  • with only two of us wanting to go meaning £50 each in petrol it looks like the coach is favourite
    Why not start a threat asking if anyone wants to go in the car with you and share the petrol? I've never understood why this doenst happen more often tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have just spent the last half hour looking to see how much it would be to charter a plane to Carlisle airport, without much success.

And I'm not even drunk.
    This is the correct one for Birmingham to Carlisle!
  • edited April 2012
    So, anyone fancy going by plane direct to Carlisle? (if we need to win to go up/win the league that is)
  • What's the cost then? And where from?
  • I dunno. You tell me. Just asking if anyone would fancy it.
  • Would have loved to go by plane, but bought my train ticket earlier today!
  • edited April 2012
    I think the problem is that Carlisle is like Biggin Hill or Shoreham airports and wouldn't handle anything too 'big' Can't see it working logistically or financially to be honest.The airport is owned by Eddie Stobbart I believe and shuts at 6.30 :-)
    My initial search can get a dozen of us up there for 17k. Just need to confirm the raffle is in place. Henry? :-)
  • I might join you in having a look into plane prices off-it...
  • The problem with plane charters is that the price is always "on application". Fair enough as there are a ton of variables, but it would be nice just to get some sort of indicative price.

Was thinking Biggin Hill/London City to Carlisle wouldn't be THAT much, not given the price of the chuff anyway. And what a way to travel up there - and back if we need and get a win for promotion!

Anyone got any contacts in the travel/chartering business that may be able to give us an outline price? Anything from a 10 seater up to say 30 seats?
  • I would be interested for maybe 3-6 of us but that price I gave above was genuine and from Biggin Hill. it costs me around 125 to drive 5 of us up to Carlisle from Portsmouth so the cost would need to be no more than a ton each really. Monarch charter planes more commercially but don't suggest prices. I think it's a non starter to be honest. Happy to be proved wrong though.
  • Off-it, would have 5 at least up for a charter plane or regular flights if price is reasonable.

BC, LOL. I do an auction!