Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18s

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Apparently the under 18s have beaten the MK Dons by 10-0.Goals from Pigott4,Azeez2,Sho Silva3,Harry Lennon1.Well done to the boys,what an incredible result.

Comments

• Nice one - well done the lads!
  • Wow - well done boys
  • edited March 2012
    We also had a number of players missing, including Poyet and Harriott.

Sho-Silva was taken off at 6-0.

• Bodes well for the future all this. :-)
  • I'd like to see several in div 2 next season.
  • Great news for them, but also shows our club is on the up at all levels.
  • What's going on with the youngsters is very encouraging. Am hoping we get a decent crop of this lot making it all the way through to the first team.
  • Having watched the Man U youth cup game, when we were better than them, a result like this simply confirms that we may have a good crop at the moment.
  • 5 points off of the top of the league with 3 games in hand.

I was reading the Dartford KSC thread. One lifer said that Pigott doesn't have a future with us as he isn't good enough (or something along those lines).
  • Takes them to 5 points off top of league with 3 games in hand keep the support going. Next game at home to Fulham this Wednesday 4th April 1.00 ko, entry to watch with your season ticket or valley gold card only worth a watch !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Pigott and Azeez got terrible service at the Darts to be fair.
  • Does anyone watch these lads on a regular basis ? If so, realistically, how close are they to being ready to play at say second or third tier level ? Are there any of these boys you think could come in and play a part in a Championship squad next year ?
  • don't worry, you wont see any of them play in the 1st team ............maybe against us one day, but not for us !!
  • Does anyone watch these lads on a regular basis ? If so, realistically, how close are they to being ready to play at say second or third tier level ? Are there any of these boys you think could come in and play a part in a Championship squad next year ?
    Let's just say we are no longer a feeder club for Ebbsfleet.
  • We aren't? Mambo's on loan at Ebbsfleet ;-)

Even League 2 is a huge step up, but many have or will only turn 18 this season, and Sho-Silva is a year younger.

I expect a few will go on loan for the first time next season. I'm hoping we'll have 7 subs again but with a rule 2 must be u21 (mentioned as a possibility on here after one of the meetings with Powell I think?) Otherwise it's going to be very difficult for any of them to break through.
  • I think we can confidently begin to feel with how the 1st team are playing and also the academy results at both U 18's & U16's Cafc are definitely moving upwards again as a club.
    Realistically this U 18's are a svery trong unit with some excellent individual players, who if managed properly by the club and get quality games at good loan clubs 'under their belts' next season, could well see some of the players make cameo appearances in the 1st team within a short space of time. To see a better organic growth from academy player to 1st team, what is definitely required is a structured 18-21 league to give the players at this age in all the various academies / CofE's, a chance to move their game on and bridge the gap that currently seems to exist between getting their 1st Pro deal and breaking into the 1st team, under the current set up it is too much down to chance and luck
  • don't worry, you wont see any of them play in the 1st team ............maybe against us one day, but not for us !!
    Optimistic for the future then
    Are you a regular viewer of the U18s Golfie? if not how can you decide that? I am a regular viewer and i am excited by some of the players we have down there.Oliver Muldoon is one of the best midfielders i have seen in 20 years of watching the U18s.He has the look of a Steven Gerrard about him.Semi Ajayi plays centre half has got pace and is good in the air-got something of Richard Rufus about him.Harry Osbourne-Centre half -strong in the tackle and good in the air.Morgan Fox-left back-good going forward and also decent in the air,as he has been converted from a centre half. Tobi Sho Silva has got electric pace and an eye for a goal,needs to improve his heading.Ade Azeez-good pace and strength and knows where the net is.Joe Pigot-old fashioned Centre Forward who holds the ball up well and is good in the air.Callum Harriott-skilful player with good natural ability but sometimes over elaborates.Jordan Cousins-can play right back,Centre of midfield and Centre half.I think his future is at right back.Poyet is a strong centre midfielder good in the air and can pass it.There are other players,but will stop there.Hope this helps.

• Been plenty of talk about Poyet with him playing for the England youth sides, but do you rate Muldoon higher than him @dickplumb ?
  • Been plenty of talk about Poyet with him playing for the England youth sides, but do you rate Muldoon higher than him @dickplumb ?
    He is a different sort of player Scoham but i have been very impressed with Muldoon and i think he will only get better.Poyet is more unspectacular,good in the tackle,plays it simple.Unfortunately Poyet is out at the moment as i think he had his appendix out.Would like to see them play together.

• Sponsored links:

• Am I right in thinking that around hald of this team will be eligible to play U18 next year ?

• http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/academyteamdetail/0,,10267~2178800,00.html

That group will turn pro or be released

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/academyteamdetail/0,,10267~2178832,00.html

They move up to 2nd years, though Poyet and Sho-Silva will be on pro deals.
  • No, I've not seen any of them play - and that is the big problem !! I saw Bowyer paly in the 1st team at 16/17 years old & I was at the Valley to see Paul Knochesky's debut v Oxfors at age16 ..............so if they are any good then why aren't we playing them now , instead of bringing in the likes of Cook & N'Guessen ?? This is league 1 after all, not the Premership, so don't give me that old guff about the standard of playbeing too high or of them not being old enough !

Year after year I have been to "look out for *****" or "**** will be star in a few years time" - but apart from Chris Solly no -one has emerged - and I have had to witness player after player, loanee after loanee, come in and do sod all - only then to see these "stars" a few years down the line playing for someone else (Danny Green, Danny Haynes, Stacey Long, Harry Arter,Campbell-Ryce etc etc)

So, all I say is...............If they are good enough then they are old enough. Believe in the Youth !!
  • Only Solly? Elliot, Randolph, Wagstaff have all come through, while Shelvey, Jenkinson and McGinty have moved to top Prem sides. Doubt that's poor compared to similar clubs.

Between Pardew, Parky and Powell we've seen others make their debuts. Unfortunately they've not been good enough and have been released, or are still here (Mambo, Harriott)
  • No, I've not seen any of them play - and that is the big problem !! I saw Bowyer paly in the 1st team at 16/17 years old & I was at the Valley to see Paul Knochesky's debut v Oxfors at age16 ..............so if they are any good then why aren't we playing them now , instead of bringing in the likes of Cook & N'Guessen ?? This is league 1 after all, not the Premership, so don't give me that old guff about the standard of playbeing too high or of them not being old enough !

Year after year I have been to "look out for *****" or "**** will be star in a few years time" - but apart from Chris Solly no -one has emerged - and I have had to witness player after player, loanee after loanee, come in and do sod all - only then to see these "stars" a few years down the line playing for someone else (Danny Green, Danny Haynes, Stacey Long, Harry Arter,Campbell-Ryce etc etc)

So, all I say is...............If they are good enough then they are old enough. Believe in the Youth !!
    I think the reason they are not playing now is that they are not physically up to playing in Div1.Konch at 16 was physically up to the task.As Scoham has said we have brought more than Solly through.Not everyone is going to make it with us,but i feel that this U18 side are a cut above previous ones.It is up to the individual players to push on and give Chris Powell a decision where he can't leave them out.

• You don't win anything with kids, apparently.

(What about a youth team league?)
  • I saw a chunk of an U18 Surrey league game yesterday - average height on the pitch must have been over 6'

• Most of the current batch need two seasons of loans to learn more about the daily grind of football outside the top flight. Apart from that, we have a LOT of kids at present who could seriously turn out for the first team at some stage.

Gutting thing about Saturdays big win was I was tentatively scheduled to commentate live, but had to cancel! Woulda made for great audio highlights...