Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Home Pre-season Friendlies according to

Unreliable Richard Cawley.

SLP floating idea that cos Palace can't arrange a hig profile preiseason game it means no non prem London clubs will be able to either.

Blaming policing of paralympics but as always large pinch of salt needed with his "news"

Comments

• Options
    If that is what he is saying, we will 100% locked on have one.

Guy doesnt have a clue.
  • Options
    He's correct. No pre-season at home and we're not allowed to play a home League Cup tie in the midweek before the start of the season either. Still waiting to find out what is decided on early league matches, but the police will have a big input.
  • Options
    He's correct. No pre-season at home and we're not allowed to play a home League Cup tie in the midweek before the start of the season either. Still waiting to find out what is decided on early league matches, but the police will have a big input.
    Does this mean that we wont be at home for the first game of the season as well?

• Options
    Think it would be unfair on London clubs if we can't play at home for a month.

If anything they'll make the fixtures so if we do play at home it'll be a low risk game like Peterborough/Barnsley or Walsall
  • Options
    season doesn't start until 18th, though Olympics were well over by then?
  • Options
    If that is what he is saying, we will 100% locked on have one.

Guy doesnt have a clue.
    you were saying...

Anyway I dont think he's as bad as some of you make out.

• Options
    Richard Cawley ‏ @RichCawleySLP Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Paralympic Games (Aug 29-Sept 9) could also have effect. Source told me smaller London clubs (outside Prem) might play away again then.
  • Options
    Starts on the 11th
  • Options
    Don't where the thread but this is another reason to hate the Olympics not that we ever get agood home game anyway!
  • Options
    Perhaps we could play Welling again in the abscence of a home game. Two Welling games pre-season, I do not care as they are so much fun, ahem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know when the away friendlies start getting announced usually? Want to book a summer holiday but don't want to not be able to afford a juicy friendly abroad, should one happen.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    I think we should go to Holland
  • Options
    Anyone know when the away friendlies start getting announced usually? Want to book a summer holiday but don't want to not be able to afford a juicy friendly abroad, should one happen.
    Cheers.
    If you are lucky, from past experience the bulk of the pre-seasons get published in the last home programme of the season.
  • Options

If anything they'll make the fixtures so if we do play at home it'll be a low risk game like Peterborough/Barnsley or Walsall
    Trust we don't have to play Walsall.

;o)

• Options
    Think it would be unfair on London clubs if we can't play at home for a month.

If we are playing Wallsall next year I'm going to hang myself.

Nailed on FACT
  • Options
    I think that's probably a libel from Ben. And a very silly one. Richard's spot on, and it's been common knowledge for a while.

CallIng a journalist "unreliable" though, and suggesting their stories should always be treated with a "pinch of salt" when they are completely correct is the sort of stupid comment that gets legal action issued and message boards taken off-line. I don't always agree with Richard, but I admire his honesty and would defend his ethics.
  • Options
    Mick, that is nonsense.

He got this one right, he has got many others wrong hence his news being "unreliable" IMHO.

• Options
    If true then I think it's a shame but as long as we kick off in the Championship I don't really care.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Calling a journalist with a hit and miss record 'unreliable' can hardly be called libel. I have no doubts he is very well intentioned and completely ethical but I'm sure he would admit a few of his exclusives have ended up being inaccurate.
  • Options
    But unfortunately Ben, the 'IMHO' is no defence. Richard will have reported all his other stories with information and quotes firmly behind them. As I say, I have, in the past, disagreed with him, but I wouldn't dispute his professionalism and honesty. You have. You typed without thinkIng, and I don't think he does the same. That's why he's a journalist and, suddenly, you're horribly vulnerable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't agree. He didn't question the guy's professionalism, he just questioned the quality of the information he receives and chooses to pass on. If he said that the guy made stuff up then thats a different story, but he does nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    Please don't tell what I did. You don't know if I thought or not. Pure speculation from you.

I never questioned his professionalism or ethics but as others have stated he has got it wrong before.

That's my view, nothing to do with Charlton Life. If Richard wishes to sue me personally then that is his choice. I do not welcome it but nor do I feel it is in any way warrented.

That will be my last post on this as there is a molehill in the garden that is danger of turning into a mountain
  • Options
    He is right on most things to be honest. The odd transfer rumour wrong but he's only passing on what he's been told
  • Options
    The important phrase - the one that actually matters is who was "the communicator of the libel". That is, who published what you typed? That's Charlton Life.

You questioned his professionalism by suggesting a "pinch of salt" was "always" needed with his stories. You stated that his stories were "always" likely to be false.

I'm not bothered what you do from here, as it's not my problem. But, on the strength of the words you typed, it is yours. I choose not to think of you as malicious, so I describe them as being typed "without thinking". That's a life raft you should consider grasping.
  • Options
    Talking of words, the word 'professional' is more or less meaningless...defined on the hoof by anybody in order to support their stance on something.
  • Options
    And there was me thinking we won today and are still well clear at the top of the league.
  • Options
    Is this the whose been libelled thread I was looking for the post match thread
  • Options
    So....do we get to play Welling this summer or not ?
  • Options
    I've seen several 'stories' from Richard Cawley relating to CAFC that have been about as reliable as a 1960s Lada. He does however manage to write some decent copy that is accurate - hence Henry's 'unreliable' quote.

I see nothing inaccurate or defamatory in that - when are you due to give evidence in the Leveson Inquiry Mick?
  • Options
    Popcorn time again.