Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Galloway - Bradford West By-Election

It is being suggested on Twitter and reported on radio and TV that George Galloway has won the Bradford West by-election on behalf of his Respect Party. It must be added that most of the info is coming from George himself and the official result won't be known for 30 mins or so (0140).

Galloway and his political beliefs could not be further away than mine but I do respect him for his tenacious and unrelenting style.

If this result is true it a massive blow for Millibands weak leadership. This was a constituency that was a fairly safe Labour seat and had been bar one brief period (1981 to SDP) since 1974. 6,000 majority at last election.

Whether you can't stand Galloway or not it will be a shot in the arm for democracy in the UK and his presence will have a positive effect on House of Commons debates

Comments

• Hate him with a passion. Traitorous embarassment to this country.
  • Gorgeous George, the eternal opportunist.

Dismantled in grand style by Christopher Hitchens when they debated, poor old George collapsed under the weight of his considerable baggage.
  • edited March 2012
    Overturned a Labour maj of 6k to a win for Respect (whatever that means!) by a 10,000+ majority. Quite amazing.
    Unbelievably bad result for Labour.
  • Maybe it's a sign that people are getting miffed off with the whole political system. It is clear that everybody is not in this together and it isn't clear that Labour is backing hard up workers as they should be. People will say it is a bad result for labour but it is a lurch to the left not the right.
  • So, naked sectarianism still works
  • Would you like me, to be the cat?
  • The bloke just annoys the crap out of me , sounds condescending, arrogant, know all, I find him offensive to the core and I would like to kick the living shite out of him

Can't help but feel his respect party line is just 1 way of tapping into the huge numbers of Muslims in our country and that he does not have their interests or that of any other British person in his mind

I can't believe half of what he comes out with

• Regardless of what you think of the man (rubs me up totally the wrong way), turning a 6000 seat majority for Labour into a 10,000+ for the Respect party is incredible.

Just a snapshot into how people have no trust in the main political parties. That's democracy though, the people have voted.
  • An incredible result.
  • I agree it is an incredible result speaks more about the others than the respect party imo too
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe it's a sign that people are getting miffed off with the whole political system. It is clear that everybody is not in this together and it isn't clear that Labour is backing hard up workers as they should be. People will say it is a bad result for labour but it is a lurch to the left not the right.
    I agree it is an incredible result speaks more about the others than the respect party imo too
    Agree with both of these comments.

• I actually quite like the bloke. Some of his views are questionable but at least he has the balls to say what he thinks.
    Hopefully he might put a few thieving , lying , untrustworthy politicians ( all parties) in their place during his time back in the house if commons.
  • What are the fundamental policies of the Respect Party? Anyone know? And Labour's too while you're about it......
  • George Galloway and Respect campaigned on a single theme, anti-war against muslim countries by the West, in Bradford West, a predominently muslim electorate. Hmmmmmmm, excuse me if that is not too much of a shock to me.
  • What are the fundamental policies of the Respect Party? Anyone know? And Labour's too while you're about it......
    Both are a mystery wrapped in an enigma...

In all honesty I think there's little about policies. Labours sole policy seems to be not to say anything bad about the government for fear they might upset someone.
  • Hate him with a passion. Traitorous embarassment to this country.
    Have to agree

• I was going to make mention of pasties, but quite frankly I think we the citizens/voters are being regarded as a bunch of patsies !
  • George Galloway and Respect campaigned on a single theme, anti-war against muslim countries by the West, in Bradford West, a predominently muslim electorate. Hmmmmmmm, excuse me if that is not too much of a shock to me.

tapping in to the mainstream political problems of this country, makes it all sound racist and really helps the brave soldiers who put thier lives on the line, so divs like galloway can draw breath

• He always strikes me that he isn't playing with a full deck. Can't stand the man an apologist for corrupt Middle East regimes that torture and murder their own people
  • Sponsored links:

• Soapy's right, cynical targeting of a vast Muslim electorate,not dissimilar to the East End where he used to ply his trade.

A vain,boorish,self serving,duplicitous,mendacious piece of sh*t.
  • So you like him Redskin?
  • Mrs Lout asked me how he managed that and the answer is, as has been said above, he campaigns on a single issue in a carefully selected constituency.

I think younger people are currently fed up with the traditional parties and maybe we are seeing a shift away from that - firstly with the last election, ending up with a coalition and secondly with a result like in Bradford West, where someone can target a specific section of the electorate.
  • edited March 2012
    Mrs Lout asked me how he managed that and the answer is, as has been said above, he campaigns on a single issue in a carefully selected constituency.

I think younger people are currently fed up with the traditional parties and maybe we are seeing a shift away from that - firstly with the last election, ending up with a coalition and secondly with a result like in Bradford West, where someone can target a specific section of the electorate.
    Can't see that happening other than with the Muslim vote to be honest.
    As for the young being 'currently fed up' with traditional parties, it was forever thus.

• the guy has just exploited a group to gain further notoriaty and to keep himself in the public eye,

he doesnt care about them he is a self serving piece of shite of the the highest order, its nothing to do with having the balls to speak his mind, it is about having the balls to lead sheep and spout of crap that no one cares to hear about other than those poor fools in his constituancy that he has chosen to plunder
  • I'm less concerned about the personal qualities of GG than wondering how on earth Labour didn't have a clue that anything remotely like this could or would happen. This is a abject and total failure of politics and politicians. I don't care what brand they are and I know Bradford West has a distinct ethnicity but this is still a deeply worrying failure of the political process and it inflicts yet more damage to our limping democracy.
  • Quite an acceptance speech, too.
    `The Bradford spring`
    Not sure of the wisdom of saying the result was an, `uprising` - he may end up with more than he bargained for.
  • Says a lot about Bradford.
  • Quite an acceptance speech, too.
    `The Bradford spring`
    Not sure of the wisdom of saying the result was an, `uprising` - he may end up with more than he bargained for.
    Let's hope so.

• the guy has just exploited a group to gain further notoriaty and to keep himself in the public eye,

he doesnt care about them he is a self serving piece of shite of the the highest order, its nothing to do with having the balls to speak his mind, it is about having the balls to lead sheep and spout of crap that no one cares to hear about other than those poor fools in his constituancy that he has chosen to plunder
    This sums up pretty much all modern politicians to be fair
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!