Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kefalonia

Hi, has anybody ever been to this Greek Island, going in June and would be great if someone could give me some good info about where to go and see etc. Cheers.

Comments

• Fiskado in the early evening to sit at a bar and laugh at the people who have chartered yachts trying to park their boats in the harbour. The beach at Myrtos for the view and the naked germans.
  • Hope your looking to chill --very nice place
  • June is a great time to go and top up your tan, may I suggest that you visit kefapps.com to learn more about Kefalonia
  • cafcfan is spot on.

We stayed in Fiscardo, stunning place with so many beautiful restaurants. The people watching is out of this world as many celebs go there.

You'll love it if you love the Greek Islands.

Enjoy!
  • Been thinking of going here for a while. Anyone recommend a good hotel to stay at?
  • My Mum and Step-Dad are going out there in June!
  • Drogarati Caves and the Melisini Lake.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm staying in a villa in Skala, can't wait to be honest. Thanks for all your comments will definitely be going Fiskardo.
  • Hire out a speedboat for the day from Katelios, the whole day to check out deserted beaches at your leisure for about 30 quid, heaven.
  • Hire out a speedboat for the day from Katelios, the whole day to check out deserted beaches at your leisure for about 30 quid, heaven.
    its also worth doing a bit of walking inland, plus nice cafe to chill right by the sea in poros.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pines restaurant in Skala was very good (in 2004)... excellent kleftiko!
  • I quite liked Road Rage but they went downhill quickly.
  • Granted

Fortune 82nd Minute

Porto Fiscardo in Fiscardo is fantastic and quite cheap. Draft lager served by the bar, or if no one there you can pull your own pint as they operate on an honesty bar basis. See Trip Adviser reviews. Every review is great. You wont be disappointed if you stay here
  • My Mum and Step-Dad are going out there in June!
    went last year, the lake is brilliant spent about 5 days there!
  • Love it there. Proposed to my wife there 6 years ago and went back for a friend's wedding 2 years ago.
    One of the best Greek islands in my opinion. All the main towns are pleasant and worth a visit. Argostoli, Fiskardo and Agia Efimia all have more than enough to entertain you for a while - the smaller places are really good and full of character too. I'd definitely hire a car and take in as much of the island as you can. There are plenty of spots around which are worth stopping at just to take in the view.
    Melissani caves are a must, I'd also recommend going to the area around Assos, but the drive into Assos itself is only really worth doing if you fancy doing the trek up the hill when you get there - if you do, the view is fab, but it's a pretty knackering climb in the heat!
    It's worth popping over to Ithaca, if only to say you've been to Odysseus' island from Homer's Odyssey. An island hopping boat ride is well worth doing too.
    There's so much more, but that's just a taster for you.

Have a great time, you'll love it.
  • I've been to the neighbouring island of Zante and I can tell you it gets damn hot there in June. Cephallonia was the setting for Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres' fabulous wartime book whose reputation was ruined by one of the worst films ever made (special mention going to a miscast Nicholas Cage giving the crappiest performance of his career - and that's saying something). You should read it anyway because it's a great book (don't even think of getting the DVD instead) but if you're going there it will also give you a sense of the island's history and a lot of local colour.
  • Granted

Fortune 82nd Minute

Porto Fiscardo in Fiscardo is fantastic and quite cheap. Draft lager served by the bar, or if no one there you can pull your
    own pint as they operate on an honesty bar basis. See Trip Adviser reviews. Every review is great. You wont be disappointed if you stay here
    Granted

Cheers for the tip. Looks great. What's the easiest way to book - through their website http://www.portofiscardo.com/ - or would you recommend some other way?
  • Great place truely beautiful have been several times. One tip watch out for the wasps though they are like F-15 fighters!
  • Granted

Fortune 82nd Minute

Cheers for the tip. Looks great. What's the easiest way to book - through their website http://www.portofiscardo.com/ - or would you recommend some other way?

You could book through the web site or send an email enquiry to Aristea the manager. The place is privately owned and not part of any travel firm. I got really cheap flights by trying different dates through the sky scanner web site. This is a great site as it gives you the cheapest flights in price order to and from any destination and it analyses all the cheap airlines like easy jet and Ryan air. Type in London Any as your departure airport.
    Last year i was sat by the pool with my lap top having a few pints watching the live scores v Rochdale and celebrated with another pint each time we scored. Good luck.
  • I quite liked Road Rage but they went downhill quickly.
    this deserved more praise
  • Sponsored links:

• Had two weeks in Sami last September. Have been to four or five of the Greek islands but Kefalonia was my favourite, stunning scenery. Sami itself is very laid back & well worth a visit. It's also close to Antisamos beach (used in Captain Corelli's) & Drogariti caves, again both worth a visit. If you do go to Antisamos, be sure to stop & have a look at the ancient ruins which are about halfway between Sami & the beach. The views from up there are some of the best I've seen.
  • Been thinking of going here for a while. Anyone recommend a good hotel to stay at?
    Pericles in Sami is very good. Stayed there for two weeks last September, very laid back atmosphere much like Sami itself. Very reasonably priced & would make a great base to explore the rest of the isalnd.
  • Granted

You could book through the web site or send an email enquiry to Aristea the manager. The place is privately owned and not part of any travel firm. I got really cheap flights by trying different dates through the sky scanner web site. This is a great site as it gives you the cheapest flights in price order to and from any destination and it analyses all the cheap airlines like easy jet and Ryan air. Type in London Any as your departure airport.
    Last year i was sat by the pool with my lap top having a few pints watching the live scores v Rochdale and celebrated with another pint each time we scored. Good luck.
    Granted - Thanks again.
  • considering going here for a week in the sun middle of June, been recommended to stay in lassi - as a bit more going on bars/restaurants etc

seems like most of the hotels are gone but most look basic, the one im drawn to is the princess hotel looks a v good location.?.
  • Kefalonia is stunningly beautiful. Was there for a month back in 2009. Lots of secluded beaches. I didn't stay in a hotel so can't help on that front
  • considering going here for a week in the sun middle of June, been recommended to stay in lassi - as a bit more going on bars/restaurants etc

seems like most of the hotels are gone but most look basic, the one im drawn to is the princess hotel looks a v good location.?.

Went about 7 years ago and stayed in Agia Efimia. Good location but not a lot going on - We had hire a car so was easy to get about.

Lassi is definitely a better bet in terms of stuff going on.

Make sure you get to Myrtos Beach. Skala has some decent places to eat as well.
  • Skala is lovely. Went there in April 2014.
  • Went with the wife many moons ago, to Argostoli (sp) I think. As others have said, it is a beautiful island and one I would like to return to one day
  • booked to go 15-22nd june 4 star boutique hotel near beaches and resort of lassi, £695 return including flights, transfers, b&B
  • Keen to visit Kefalonia - have stayed many times at the nearby island of Paxos which is a great place for a quiet holiday.