Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Home weight training

I've just started using dumbbells at home to start to build muscle in my upper body (mainly arms), I was at a gym but didn't find that very successful. Are there any recommendations any of you have in terms of exercises, protein shakes, what to do/not to do etc? The trouble I have is that I'm naturally skinny so building muscle can be difficult.

Thanks!

Comments

• If you're skinny and looking to put on weight you need to eat, eat and eat some more!

Loads of chicken, fish, veg etc.

Myprotein.com is very good for shakes etc.

Also if you're just starting out, just stick to doing small weights but doing good form rather then stuff that's too heavy and just swinging your arms wildly.

Google scoobyworkshop. and check out that guy's website.
  • CREATINE
  • Weight gain 5,000.

All I'll say is if you're natural skinny, don't overdo it. The temptation is to lift as heavy as possible, don't. Making sure your form is good, control of the weights, no swinging, no curve in the small of the back, and your legs don't buckle is all important. It's easier to know these things when you're in a gym, in front of a floor to ceiling mirror. I'd go back to the gym and make sure your form is good, a common house mirror is usually not comprehensive enough to see these things. Obvious mistakes I made, only hit home when I trained with others who knew what they were doing; I knew I was doing a lot of them, but the urge was on quantity on everything rather than quality.

Others on here will no doubt give you better technical advice.
  • Lots of good info from Moleo88 up there, what ever you do make sure you do it right because so many people weight train the wrong way.

+1 for Myprotein as well, better goods and cheaper than most health shops.
  • lol nolly.

Don't just work your chest / arms.

USN Pure protein is decent, low in fat too.
  • How much protein would you recommend taking each day?
  • Depends how you're taking it
  • get yourself bang on the roids mate, you'll be hench in no time.
  • Excessive masturbation also helps.
  • Creatine Rage!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• How much protein would you recommend taking each day?
    Get some in from natural sources i.e. Tuna, Chicken etc then read the guidlines on any protein substitutes you buy,
  • Creatine is the answer nothing else matters
  • CREATINE is the key to life
  • and creosote
  • Eat sleep and shit Creatine
  • I give Creatine to my mum in her tea
  • Creatine is the answer nothing else matters
    Lol, and it f***s up your kidneys if you take too much, the lad sounds like he is just starting out don't get him hooked on bad habits just yet.
  • Don't bother,dear boy. When have you ever seen a gym bitch wear clothes well?
  • Get at least 150/200g of protein inside you daily.

And 1kg of Creatine per hour.
  • Drink plenty of water eaststand mike. Creatine will answer all questions. Creatine is the future
  • Sponsored links:

• In all seriousness sidcup-red, don't bother with supplements. Get a routine going, do it every day. As JT says dont just work the chest/arms. Make sure you focus on back, shoulders and core strength too. Start with lower weights than you would expect and do a decent number of reps. Take the weight up each time until you feel its working without injuring yourself. Then push it up every couple of weeks. What weights have you got?

iPT Lite is a good, free app (iphone) which gives you some simple exercises to get started. If you aren't bulking up after a couple of months then try a shake but good diet (lean protein) should be sufficient.
  • jab roids
  • Cardigan Creatine
  • I give Creatine to my mum in her tea
    Haha!
  • Don't do the same routine every day as said above... If you're aiming to get bigger you want to isolate muscles in your routines i.e. Monday - Tris and shoulders, Tuesday - Bis and back and so on. If you're aiming for strength try to hit 6 reps per set on a heavier weight or for bulking aim for 10 on a lighter weight. Form is the most important thing, so don't go doing weights that are too heavy for ya. I've got a pretty skinny build aswell, the answer is to eat shitloads, cut a lot of cardio and workout most days. Don't work every day as it'll do more harm than good.

Failing that take fuck loads of creatine.
  • CREATINE
  • I've never seen any genuine research that hasn't been commissioned by the supplement companies to suggest that protein supplements will work for you any better than the protein that you can get from real food like chicken, turkey and fish. Your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein anyway (approx 1g per kg of bodyweight - of the top of my head), so the extra just goes to waste. It's not that protein supplements don't work, it's that they don't work any better than real food, so why spend the money. The only case for protein supplements is convenience.

The genuine evidence for creatine is flimsy too. I've worked in the fitness industry for 14 years.

What does work (if this can be contained in just one sentence) is hard progressive training with good consistent technique and the right amount of rest.

Dumbbells at home are OK but if you are progressive with your training then you will soon out-grow them so sooner or later you end up back at the gym. Body building magazines etc. are OK for exercise ideas etc., but always bear in mind that many actually don't even break even - despite the huge amount of advertising space they dedicate to er.....the supplement companies. Shouldn't take much to figure out what's going on there.
  • Creatine will give you Gas FACT