Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Leyton Orient | 31st March 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Despite a routine win for Sheffield United over Chesterfield reducing Charlton’s lead at the top to six points, those extoling the virtues of the Blades assault on the top spot - which we have occupied for over six months - may be advised that over the past eight games Ched Evans and co. have only picked up a single point more than the Addicks. In fact, Sheffield Wednesday (top of the form table) and Huddersfield (second) have caught up only four and three points more respectively on Chris Powell’s men.

But let us not kid ourselves. The past five games have hardly been inspiring with home defeats against Colchester and Notts County and an away reverse up at the Galpharm last time out. Charlton need to step on the gas one last time this season to secure promotion and hopefully the League One Championship. Having been superb all season and building up at what times seem an unassailable lead, has given us the luxury of having a few bad days at the office, yet it would seem only a couple more could be afforded between now and May 5th.

Saturday could see a huddle (five) of Valley Alumni return to the shores of SE7, although another ex-Addick - Scott McGleish, who has scored in consecutive appearances down here - has moved onto pastures new. Leyton Orient themselves will consider themselves in a relegation battle with a potential two defeats seeing them in the dreaded bottom four, although a David Mooney goal secured them a good mid-week win away at Oldham.

Many fans will be having a cheeky couple of quid on Lisbie/Mooney/Spring/Campbell-Ryce (not Rachubka) to score this weekend, but we need to be concerned about ourselves and how we play. The team has been re-jigged due to rotation, illness and injury in recent weeks, and the stability we once enjoyed in weeks gone by has gone and we’re relying on people stepping up to the plate as we enter the business period of the season.

Whether or not Chris Powell believes Matt Taylor has had enough rest to return to the fold in place of Leon Cort remains to be seen, but his captain qualities may be needed with the continued absence of Johnnie Jackson. The centre of the park is where the most change and disruption has happened, and with Darrel Russel’s red card against Huddersfield, Dale Stephen’s could return alongside Danny Hollands unless Powell opts for the more tenacious Bradley Pritchard. It’s hard to call. Loanees Cook and N’Guessan will be battling for the left-wing berth, and with Cook potentially facing up against his old side maybe we can inflict the ex-player ‘curse’ on the O’s. Danny Green, conspicuous by his absence last Saturday could come in for the hot-and-cold Scott Wagstaff on the right.

Although the recently prolific Paul Hayes was recalled to the fold due to Yann Kermongant’s sudden illness, it would be a surprise if he retains his place alongside Bradley Wright-Phillips if the Frenchman is fit.

We need to get back on track and a repeat of the 3-1 win from last season will be just the tonic for a nervous fan base. It will also help the speed up recovery of Richard Murray.
Come on you reds!

Comments

• Not bad WSS just one observation Matt Taylor might be replacing Leon Cort Unless he's off to Crawley as well?
  • I also think that Orient are the only team remaining who could do the double over us this season?
  • We will win after a nervy start in which the cowardly fans that frequent here and the valley bemoan every short pass or miss placed shot ,

And go on to win by 3 clear goals and the same fans will be screaming we are going up at full time
  • edited March 2012
    lets get the footballers in the side , green, stephens and cook for the athletes waggy, n'guess and russel

sheff utd unbeaten in 5 and 9 goals in their last 2 games including 5 away at brazil 1970 are not to be sniffed at, these teams are on the prowl and we have to put a stop to the shitty dithering nothing footy we have been playing recently

we've come too far to fook this up but changes are needed and a 3-1 win will settle the nerves .....for now
  • Great preveiw WSS, I am with NLA on this one, a nervy start will see us slowly settle into the game and run out winners by two clear goals.

Keep the faith guys..........we are going up
  • edited March 2012
    I'm happy for Cook to replace N'Guessen who hasn't shown much. Stephens to replace Russell.Kermy to replace Hayes who was poor at Hudds. But I think Waggy has done enough to retain his place. He has done more than Green of late & I say that as someone who has always preferred Green.
  • 85% win 10% draw 3% loss 2% Match abandoned due to brawl
  • I agree with the 3-1 score

We will interestingly know the Massive's result prior to the game as they kick off early against currently poor Preston
  • We'll go behind. Of that I'm sure. We'll huff and puff and look unconvincing, but ultimately, nick it by the odd goal. 2-1.
  • Will we follow the trend of the past week and have a minutes applause for Kermogant if he's still ill?

I'll be laying my scarf outside the main entrance before kick-off.....................................
  • Sponsored links:

• Will we follow the trend of the past week and have a minutes applause for Kermogant if he's still ill?

I'll be laying my scarf outside the main entrance before kick-off.....................................
    That's handy - I need a new scarf.

I'm going for a 3-2 win (again). Dubious BWP hattrick and a brace from Lisbie.

• nice touch tangoflash.........

Little nervous on this occassion but looking forward to it. one that we really need to put to bed early.

2-1 i fancy either way

• We'll go behind. Of that I'm sure. We'll huff and puff and look unconvincing, but ultimately, nick it by the odd goal. 2-1.
    I have not checked the stats Clem but I don't thik we have a great record of winning games once we have gone a goal down so I hope you get that bit wrong.
  • I feel strangely optimistic about this one (we'll probably lose now) in going for a 3-1 victory, and Wednesday to draw against hudds(?)
  • Or whoever they've got
  • I went to Orient V Wendys last Saturday and was not impressed by them . In general the Wendy's outmuscled them and the O's offered very little going forward and Lisbie was deployed as a lone striker with Campbell-Ryce behind him although I noticed the other night that our old friend Dave Mooney played instead of Campbell-Ryce and scored the winner .

Rachupka has been nervy in Goal and is not liked by their crowd although according to my Orient pals he played well against another of his former clubs Oldham on Tuesday . They will not have a recognised Left back although this didn't help us at Brisbane Road because Ryan Dickson will be suspended following his red card on Tuesday.

Despite this , the fact that it is a London derby and the law of the ex potentially 5 of them does worry me.

Those of you who think our support is nervy would be interested to know that in my opinion their support is far more negative than we are and I was surprised by it .

My head tells me a nervy 2-0 to the Addicks.
  • Far too many ex-Charlton players in their side. I am scared.
  • 2 1 to us BWP & Wagstaff, Mooney to score for them.
  • Anyone else get really nervous/excited of the coming few weeks? So close but still being charlton so far. Let's be positive I'm goin for a solid 2-0 morrison and bwp.come on you redsssss!!!!
  • 2-0 to the addicks. BWP x 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• soooper sooper kev sooooper sooper kev sooooooper soooper kev super kevin lisbie.

him and mooney are probably the best strike force in the league.

worried...
  • there is a simple solution to all of these "fans nerves".......alcohol.

if 80% of us drink 5 pints before the game we'll win comfortably.

if it's a nice day i see lots of alcohol being drunk, a raucous crowd and a much needed win.
  • edited March 2012
    there is a simple solution to all of these "fans nerves".......alcohol.

if it's a nice day i see lots of alcohol being drunk, a raucous crowd and a much needed win.
    so JT's chance of the match being abandoned due to a brawl rises to 65%.

• Cor, you do like to worry.

They beat us at their place with a lucky deflection, we played almost the whole game with 10 men and SCP took off the wrong man (hush my mouth for saying such things).

The odds of them getting lucky again are small. They are at the wrong end of the table for a reason. We are at the top for a reason. We know that they will try the physical way of winning, but we have shown we can stand up to this. Also why Waggy should start and not Green.

Charlton to win 3-0.
  • 2-0 defeat. The others all win. I just knew it last week, and the feeling of doom is still here.
  • there is a simple solution to all of these "fans nerves".......alcohol.

We are doomed then because if 80% of us wanted one pint before the game the bar staff at the Valley would go into melt down, they have trouble coping now.
  • Stephens midfield,Green (although I have my reservations) back on the wing.
    We'll win,don't worry.
  • Haven't got a clue on the score , but we've got to win this one , i'd play Taylor & Stephens , Cook on the left if fit? or will they be able to suss him out as he's been on loan there this season.
  • A comfortable 3 - 0 win, a couple for BWP, and us looking back to our best. We've only conceded from the penalty spot in the last three games and I can't see that changing on Saturday. The defence to look tight and assured and everyone to relax again.