Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Petrol Strike- Will It Happen?

What do you think people?

I wanted to book a hotel for the Oldham game , but there may be a petrol shortage that weekend , thinking of taking my match tickets back and getting a refund, i don't know what to do!!

Comments

• I hope the companies see sense before strike action commences. It is shocking what they have been getting away with. I am fully behind the tanker drivers on this one
  • They will normally refund match tickets up to the day before the game, so I'd sit tight, keep your tank full & wait & see.

NB I'm alright Jack. I filled the tank yesterday & the freezer is also full :-)
  • PANIC BUY AS MUCH AS U CAN BURY IT IN THE GARDEN

• Dunno about that but isn't it the case that 7 days notice have to be given so you would have that time to play with?

On the same subject my wife has just come in and asked what's going on? The petrol light's come on so she went to fill up but it was madness at the filling station so she didn't bother. It's almost like someone in authority has created panic buying by something they may have said but that would be an utterly, ridiculously, stupid and irresponsible thing to do wouldn't it?

In fact only a complete idiot would tell people to fill up unneccessarily or fill up jerry cans when no date for any industrial action has been set wouldn't they?
  • What do you think people?

I wanted to book a hotel for the Oldham game , but there may be a petrol shortage that weekend , thinking of taking my match tickets back and getting a refund, i don't know what to do!!
    The union, Unite, has to give seven days notice of a strike, so you should have time to fill up.

That hasn't stopped panic buying of petrol though.

• TBF I wasn't panic buying petrol. It was diesel :-)
  • It would be alright getting up there , its whether i could get fuel up there to get back!
  • Just tried the petrol station again. Knee deep in wally's filling up The Rover with petrol so it can stay parked and not moving on their drive for the next month. In the meantime I now have to make a detour to drop my wife off because she is running on vapours.

Thanks Dave, well played and as for your mate Francis he can do one as well...
  • Just tried the petrol station again. Knee deep in wally's filling up The Rover with petrol so it can stay parked and not moving on their drive for the next month. In the meantime I now have to make a detour to drop my wife off because she is running on vapours.

Quite an assumption you're making there, you & your wife have been there twice already :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be alright getting up there , its whether i could get fuel up there to get back!
    You'll be ok. It's downhill on the way back :-)
  • Must pay more attention to the news.

I've spent all morning panic buying pasties.
  • Government scare tactics at work again.
  • In Dartford all the petrol stations have gone into meltdown.

People at work rushing out to get petrol so was convinced I should too. I went out and all the stations were chokka. Thought "sod this".. now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea.
  • In Dartford all the petrol stations have gone into meltdown.

People at work rushing out to get petrol so was convinced I should too. I went out and all the stations were chokka. Thought "sod this".. now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea.

Do people not realise, that by the time a strike is called.. all this and the stockpiled fuel will be gone !
    Expect UK produced food to rise within the next week because of this too, the government must love a nation of sheep.
  • Every garage within a 3 miles of me has ridiculously long ques

The native People are as thick as pig shit in nth London
  • Same down in the South East NLA bunch of f*****g lemmings
  • You would not believe the situation down here. Dorset (having a higher than average age demographic maybe?) seems to have gone into meltdown. All very well if you have all freaking day to block the roads and cause chaos to squeeze a pratful into the tank but the rest of us are royally stuffed.

I see the official line remains to fill up and that our glorious leaders are claiming that there is no problem and that it's all been blown out of proportion.

Oh yeah? I suppose this sort of thing is made up then?

bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9620022.UPDATED__Police_close_some_petrol_stations_as_motorists_rush_to_fill_up_in_Dorset/#commentsList
  • Unbelievable isn't it BA here the queues seem to be made up of mostly pensioners (or at least older people) and woman in 4x4 that's right all the f*****s who don't have to go anywhere! Now where did I put my machine gun?
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't let anyone into the petrol station unless they have under quarter tank of fuel!!

Thank goodness you have something new to over react to.

I`m so glad you have important reasons to fill up whilst everyone else is a wally.
    Loving the attitude.

There is the threat of industrial action between a company and their employers - you dont think this may be the reason people are filling up?
    Just like they did in 2000, 2005 and to a lesser extent in 2007.

Do you really think one off the cuff remark by one thoughtless minister, (which was dismissed as incorrect and corrected the same day by the Roads political chief) has this much influence?

• I don't know about London and the rest of the country but around here the price of a litre of unleaded jumped overnight from around 136.5/137 to 141/142 per litre following the 'fill your jerrican' statement. But of course, any suggestion that petrol refiners and retailers are profiteering is simply misguided.
    I think the strike will go ahead. The government and the 'employers' have a vested interest in not giving in to any strike threats, justified or otherwise. We are all in this together remember.
  • the masses are asses

Thank goodness you have something new to over react to.

I`m so glad you have important reasons to fill up whilst everyone else is a wally.
    Loving the attitude.

There is the threat of industrial action between a company and their employers - you dont think this may be the reason people are filling up?
    Just like they did in 2000, 2005 and to a lesser extent in 2007.

Do you really think one off the cuff remark by one thoughtless minister, (which was dismissed as incorrect and corrected the same day by the Roads political chief) has this much influence?

Which thoughtless minister are you referring to? I've seen several on the news suggesting we "top up" our tanks. I'm guessing you mean the "jerry can" comment - that was retracted, but they're still telling us to top up, which to my mind is irresponsible considering that as things stand there is no strike.
  • I hope the companies see sense before strike action commences. It is shocking what they have been getting away with. I am fully behind the tanker drivers on this one
    Can you tell me why you're behind this possible strike?

I have no idea what the strike is about.

• edited March 2012
    I see Floyd has broke cover then. It's not wrong to come out and say that your party iof choice is making a cock up you know, they don't keep records or turn up in the night.

As I explained elsewhere I and many others, including my wife, both need a car to get to work and to be able to do our jobs. Thanks to Come Dine With Dave et al and his, at best ill considered advice, my wife today cannot perform her planned duties as will many of her colleagues. Perhaps if it were your appointment cancelled or your parents who didn't get the care they should, when they should, you might understand why some peoples need for fuel are more important than the average pensioner or yummy mummy?
  • One of our engineers has just attempted to buy Diesel in 4 x garages in the Maidstone area however they were all sold out. He was running on empty until a girl in our office rang round a few asking if they had some and she eventually had some luck.
  • I see Floyd has broke cover then. It's not wrong to come out and say that your party if choice is making a cock up you know, they don't keep records or turn up in the night.

As I explained eleswhere I and many othes, including my wife both need a car to get to work and to be able to do our jobs. Thanks to Come Dine With Dave et al and his, at best ill considered advice, my wife today cannot perform her planned duties a will many of her colleagues. Perhaps if were your appointment cancelled or your parents who didn't get the care they should when they should you might understand why somepeoples need for fuel aremore important than the average pensioner or yummy mummy?
    Can you not just queue up and then carry on with said duties?
  • Of course and it may well come to that but we are not talking about 10 minutes down here at the moment. You looking at well over an hour, nearer to two and the police are now having to get involved to manage the traffic and prevent breach of the peace. Great use of their time eh?