Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The old Valley.. video

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
I know we have a youtube thread, but this deserves a place of its own where it can be viewed again. Genuine goosebump moment

http://youtu.be/Vw5Zy1BORVI

Comments

• Gulp ! So many memories of being young and stupid in that place !
  • The memories, as I remember standing on the East terrace with my dad and grandad behind our special crash barrier
  • The memories, as I remember standing on the East terrace with my dad and grandad behind our special crash barrier
    Ha, ha, me too Les, if we ever got to the ground and someone else was leaning on "our crash barrier" my dad & grandad would not be happy.

By the end of the game we were surrounded by discarded peanut shells as well.

Happy Days
  • Generally found by the end that the crowds were so low, you always had a least one crash barrier to yourself anyway ! I can actually remember lying down at the top of the East terrace watching the football one glorious summers day.
  • Great bit of archive footage. Looks a bit like some of the League 1 grounds we've visited over recent years.
  • The kids at the front used to throw peanut shells at the linesman.- peanuts 6d a bag
  • Wow! That really brought back memories.
  • edited March 2012
    Wow! That really brought back memories.
    Certainly did although I would say the video can be no more than 33 years ago? when the grill fencing went up. Prior to that we had the low railings which made made it a lot easier to climb over to pat our heroes on the back at the end of the game.
  • Wow! That really brought back memories.
    Certainly did although I would say the video can be no more than 30ish years ago when the grill fencing went up. Prior to that we had the low railings which made made it a lot easier to climb over to pat our heroes on the back at the end of the game.

says 1979
  • edited March 2012
    Already edited. My bad didn't notice the date at first, good guess though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Call me sentimental,but I preferred the old Valley and yes,I remember the loos.
    White goal-nets too,I can't abide the red& white ones. Tacky.
  • Goosebumps , quality video that has set my mind wandering back to those days.
  • Goosebumps , quality video that has set my mind wandering back to those days.
    what was it like during the war grandad?... ;-)
  • A few tears from your's truly.
  • ooo - hairs on my neck went up! Apart from the first game back, my best memory is promotion in 1975. Running onto the pitch from the East stand and climbing up in the west stand to where the players were - and getting drenched in champagne. Looking forward to more of the same in 5 weeks...................................
  • Lovely. Amazing what some poignant music can do. Good decision not to use 'The Entertainer' or the theme from 'It's a Knockout'.
  • Great video, brought back some fantastic memories.
  • Proper stansions. I miss those
  • memories... what's the music, anybody know? It's not Bobby Crush, that l do know.
  • Miss the old ground and, like many of us, miss those who are no longer with us who used to share that special place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Takes me back, remember when the fencing went up, also remember the south end before they put the stand there. It made me smile whilst standing in the covered end if it pissed with rain the away supporters getting soaked. Also a lot from the east trying to get in the covered end.