Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Change in career...

Comments

• The next question I guess is where to find the opputuinity for that change...
    Another website:

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/

Have a look on there and see if anything grabs your interest. If nothing else it might start a few cogs whirring and give you a few ideas.

• The next question I guess is where to find the opputuinity for that change...
    Another website:

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/

Have a look on there and see if anything grabs your interest. If nothing else it might start a few cogs whirring and give you a few ideas.

That's interesting - one of the two florists in Bexley is up for sale and they claim there's no competition!
  • There has to be the perfect job out there somewhere..

Anyone do recruiting? I'm on night Thursday and Friday which is not good :(
  • Everyone has it within themselves to change what they do--------however not everyone is lucky enough economically to be able to gamble re the change of direction.

I went from Engineer----to bar owner in Thailand ------came back worse than pot less-----started again---Cheif Engineer----Facilities Manger-----Ltd company. Frigin painfull leasons along the way, and cost me plenty, but was lucky enough to recover.

If you have the opertunity and the cushion if it fails go for it and good luck
  • Thanks everyone for there interesting and detailed posts its much appreciated.

Does anyone do shift work? If so how do they find it with there home life etc...
    Done nights as a spark on the underground, and i found that i proberly see the family more than i did doing a day job.
    Agreed. Worked nights when the kids were small. Saw far more of them than I would if working days. i.e. Out before they're up, home after they're in bed.
    Used to get home about 6/7am look after the the little buggers for a few hours which let mrs. wickford get on with women's chores (lights fuse), then kip, then back to work.

As they get older and start school not so good as end up never seeing them (although depending on pov that could be good!).
  • Decisions, decisions, decisions....
  • @Smudge. Sat Nav won't, for example, tell you Moor Lane is closed off around Barbican. It won't tell you that Pancras road has just reopened after a long closure and it will tell you when travelling north on Charing Cross Road that you can drive forward in to Tottenham Court Rd. Problem with that is that you'll end up down a very deep hole due to Crossrail. If you wanted to drop someone at Bermomdsey Station, Sat Nav will take you all the way to Culling Circus by Rotherhithe Tunnel because there's a central reservation on Jamaica Rd and have to bring you all the way back. I however would say you east bound on Jamaica you can turn R St James Rd, L Webster, L Storks, R Collet, L Keetons and drop you right by the station. The number of minicabs I see turning in to 1way street the wrong way or doing illegal turn cos they've missed a turning is unreal. Stuck in traffic? My knowledge of 10,000+ roads will get me out if it sharpish. Sat Nav will happily let you sit there. There have been tests done between Black Cabbies and Sat Navs on The Gadget Show. Guess who won hands down?!
    But it does know where South London is....
  • Cracking post johnny
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure how to respond to Johnny's post without running the risk of misunderstanding or misrepresentation so I will just commend his courage in making it and articulating emotions many of us may well have shared.
    Thanks. Probably used the thread as an opportunity to offload - normally keep relatively quiet on here. Hope the post came across as I intended.
    If you feel you want to post a link to your poetry....
    Here is the link. coffeeconnectionpoets.com/wall-of-poets/JRNightingale.html
  • Have you considered a franchise? There are pluses and minuses, and both good and bad franchises but again there might be something suitable:

http://www.whatfranchisemagazine.co.uk/
  • Dont have that much money to hand sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cracking post johnny
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure how to respond to Johnny's post without running the risk of misunderstanding or misrepresentation so I will just commend his courage in making it and articulating emotions many of us may well have shared.
    Thanks. Probably used the thread as an opportunity to offload - normally keep relatively quiet on here. Hope the post came across as I intended.
    If you feel you want to post a link to your poetry....
    Here is the link. coffeeconnectionpoets.com/wall-of-poets/JRNightingale.html
    Thanks for the link.

There is some good stuff there, although I am no literary critic in any shape or form, and well worth visiting and revisiting as I think you pick up different things on second and subsequent readings sometimes.
  • Who wants my CV then ;)
  • Who wants my CV then ;)
    Never been to keen on Citroen's.......What sort of mileage is on the clock? :)
  • Around 35,000 has a dodgy exhaust and has a dent in it from when I tried to run over Iain dowie on the way home from the valley.
  • Was he lost after trying to go for a run?
  • Yeh he was apprantley trying out a new training technique of "hide and seek"
  • you have the opertunity and the cushion if it fails go for it and good luck
    That's where I was lucky - I career swapped to my fathers company and, so far, it's working out really well all round.

If you want it, and can afford to take a knock or two then go for it. If you have a vested interest in the company youll be surprised at how much better you'll perform and how much harder you can work
  • Have any lifers done the change into teaching?

or a public sector to private sector change over?
  • I worked for Coutts bank before moving into teaching. It has been the worst move I ever made...most of my work is paper work, the teaching is only a small part of my role. I have now also made the decision to study 'The Knowledge of London' part time around my current teaching job.

Typical day in teaching...arrive at school at 7am...deal with behaviour issues at break and then do lunch duty...meetings after school...leave at 6pm...marking, planning, assessment at home until 10.30pm. Mr Gove is only going to make things even worse!
  • For those considering changing careers there a couple of books that might help you: "What Color is Your Parachute?":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2012/dp/1607740109

Or "How to get a job you Love":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Youll-Love-2011-2012-Edition/dp/0077129938/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Following on from Johnny73's post above it might be worth reading something like this to get a grasp on what your skills and talents are and how they might transfer into another job.
    Try this company http://www.how2become.co.uk/?gclid=CLPK_aSXnK8CFYpjfAodZTFpdg
  • Sponsored links:

• I worked for Coutts bank before moving into teaching. It has been the worst move I ever made...most of my work is paper work, the teaching is only a small part of my role. I have now also made the decision to study 'The Knowledge of London' part time around my current teaching job.

Typical day in teaching...arrive at school at 7am...deal with behaviour issues at break and then do lunch duty...meetings after school...leave at 6pm...marking, planning, assessment at home until 10.30pm. Mr Gove is only going to make things even worse!
    13 weeks holiday must help ? Working this week ? :-)
  • teacher working them hours how the hell can you study for the knowledge.

Nice to work so few hours, try running your own company, working from 5 in the morning, if your lucky finishing at 7pm well at least getting home, this only occurs 7 days per week, when you get home, you just catch up with your emails. On holiday your phone and emails still work and yes you do answer them, if I am lucky I can manage a total of 14 days holiday of a year including weekends. Lunch what's that, if I am lucky I get a sandwich normally nothing.

Then you get the worry of how you are going to get sufficient work to pay for the 20 workers you employ, and as you got no other time to worry about this, it's keeps you awake at night.

My reward, no pension as I can't afford it, i have to invest all the profit back into the company, good pay and dividends yes, but house used as collateral for the bank so can lose that, if things go bad.

Being a teacher don't look so bad now does it?

Would I give up my life style, no, why, because I love my work, I even been known very occasionally to moan about it.

Moral of this is do something you enjoy.

Regards
    Kerry

• I think that's what TA was saying Kerry?
  • Usually did physical jobs such as glass cutting and window and door fabrication until the aches and pains started to get worse. Decided on a radical change but something I'd toyed with for a while and that was teaching English language. After years of abusing the English grammar it was hard work completing the CELTA course, but stuck in there and haven't looked back since.
    As someone mentioned earlier, it's better to try than to have the "what if" syndrome.
  • I think that's what TA was saying Kerry?
    Oops, after re-reading it, I think you might be right, I therefore apologise and blame it on stress.
  • Of course I appreciate that everybody works hard. I think the point that I was trying to make is that teaching is more 'analysing data', 'planning', 'assessment', 'paperwork' etc. The teaching part seems less significant. Yes, we do get holidays, but some of that time is spent devising schemes of work, producing statistics, writing subject leader reports for governors etc.

I currently work as a Deputy Head at a primary school and the turnover of staff, the number of teacher's relationships that break down etc. is unbelievable.

Yes, it was always my ambition to teach, but it just 'stresses me out' and I have decided to look at other options. If people want to enter the teaching profession I just wanted to make them aware that it is a challenging job. I also think that teachers get a really bad press. I am not racist, but I recently visited a school in Newham and the school had children that spoke 17 different languages in one Year 4 class!

I wasn't for one minute trying to say that others don't work extremely hard...I know that we all do. Times are tough.
  • I was only winding you up teacher. I think you all work extremely hard. I've gone and stood in the corner for 10 mins :-)
  • After being in private practice for nearly 20 years as a chartered surveyor I fell into teaching at a Higher Education College at the age of 47; my empoying college paid for my Cert.Ed then my BA and Masters (all day release and hard work!) and I eneded up after another 15 years running as college principal as well as teaching, managing, writing syllabi and text books. Never was I happier; the stimulus from bright enquiring undergradates and the reward from monitoring their progress; the discussions about their homeland hopes and aspirations; I have guided princes, future prime ministers and models; The money (often hourly paid and self-employed) is enough but the real reward is job satisfaction. Yes if you can TEACH
  • My son is what they call an "hourly-paid Lecturer" - this means he's on a fixed-term contract and gets paid for the hours when he is actually at the Uni lecturing. As far as I can tell, he works long hours 7 days a week and in the "holidays" he's planning lectures, marking work and helping his students on a one to one basis. And this week he got a letter saying his contract won't be renewed because the Dean doesn't want any hourly-paid staff any more.

Sorry, the point I'm making is that teaching and lecturing are not the easy option some people think they are.

Having said all that, he loves what he does.