Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NY NY...

... so great they named it twice.

My wife and I are off to NY in May to celebrate my 50th.

We are going to be doing all the usual touristy stuff and I was wondering if any Lifers out there had any tips for special or unusual things to see/do/eat.

We are going to be booking a table here peterluger.com/ for the day itself.

Comments

• Options
    have a burger at Le Parker Meridian.
    You'll have an issue trying to find it, but once you do, you'll not regret it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Went there for 3 weeks on business in 1997. Availed myself of the hop on hop off tourist bus / river boat pass over a weekend which was good value. Was advised not to venture uptown past 100th East/West or into Central Park after dusk but I guess that's common sense. Plenty to do and department stores to spend all day in. Enjoy!
  • Options
    I'm guessing it won't be of much interest but I did a hip hop tour of Harlem. Very interesting to see some of the places you hear about from the early days of the scene.
  • Options
    Katz Deli on East Houston Street.
  • Options

The helicopter round Statue of Liberty is superb -also grab a show and shop at Woodbury common great for top names at primart prices and grab a Hot dog off a street vendor with every thing on it ---good one outside Bloomingdales

I spent my 50th there ...you will love it -
  • Options
    My Charlton supporting nephew is in Fuerza Bruta which as a 50 something i really enjoyed ... but not everyones cup of tea, so if you were to consider it check it out on you tube. Lots of great street music around Union Square.

Still think London better city though
  • Options
    Oh, we went to see Spiderman just off Times Square on Broadway. The theatre was like the theatre out of Annie (you may not appreciate that but it was MASSIVE) and the show was outstanding! One of the best productions I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

• Options
    not sure how long your going for but there isent really alot to do. it has a church and thats about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire
  • Options
    Go to Lombardi's in Soho. The best pizza in New York. Inexpensive but they don't take cards.
  • Options
    Was there recentley. Greatest city on earth. Stayed at Bryant Park Hotel which is a half decent hotel with a good restaurant (Koi).

Fabulous galleries (MOMA/Met etc).

Baseball season starts in April so check out Yankee Stadium, avoid Mets- they suck.

Restaurants:

Commerce: on Commerce Street.

Balthazar (French Bistro) in Soho

The Harrison corner Greenwich st/harrison st

Tons of great shows on & off Broadway. We saw Spiderman (excellent - has a Bermudian in lead female role so must be good!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was a Mets fan for a day and cannot stress enough how much fun I had at the Citi Field!!

Pete Luger's steak house is famous, but if you can't get a table, Smith & Wollensky's is a great alternative. Bloody expensive though.

There was a really good improv night in Greenwich Village that I can recommend - http://www.ucbtheatre.com/

One day we designed our own movie locations tour, from Ghostbusters to Superman via the Friends building, and the walk was long - but really felt that we had seen a huge chunk of Manhattan in the process.

Also meant to go and look at the gardens on an elevated rail track but ran out of time! http://www.thehighline.org/

Delightful little restaurant - Frankie Sputino's (17 Clinton St) - http://www.frankiesspuntino.com/17/17_menu.html
  • Options
    I went for 4 days back in January 1999, turned up when it was snowing, when I left it was 70 degrees! Global warming freaks were loving that!
  • Options
    I went to a good blues bar on Bleeker street. Can't remember its name though.
  • Options
    System island ferry...just go over and come straight back...sit on the outside, take your pictures and tick it off your list
  • Options
    No edit or quote facility on phone so that's staten not system...poxy spellchecker
  • Options
    go to the place that sells the world's best cup of coffee in the elf film
  • Options
    Don't know whether they still do the Airport to Airport Helicopter, but if they do it's very worthwhile.
  • Options
    Grand Central Station Seafood Restaurant...a bit like an old London Pie & Mash, lovely fish soup!!

Didn't like New York much at all but The Rockefella Centre is worth a visit. Chinese in Chinatown is good but don't order like you would here, all the portions would feed a small family!!

London has much more character/style/class and life!
  • Options
    Cannal street market on a Saturday or Sunday late morning / early afternoon is interesting and worth a look.
  • Options
    Katz Deli on East Houston Street.
    but beware as it is pronounced How - ston and not Hoo-ston
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been there twice. 20 years or so ago for business. Went to the top of the World Trade Center. I suppose that's not on now.

Also, went back for 3 or 4 days (not business) a few years ago. Greenwich village is interesting. We went to an original Speakeasy. They stem back to the days when they were cracking down on freedom of speech so a lot of novelists/artists used to frequent places with all kinds of hidden passages and exits. Hence the term 'Speakeasy'. They were then used during the prohibition era for the obvious reasons. A couple of good blues clubs in the area as well. A walk along Christopher Street can be eye opening.
  • Options
    Took my fiancé for her 21st a couple years back.

Was great fun but to not add to what everyone else is saying. We did the whole sightseeing and Macy's and the other one, was very underwhelmed with that shopping side of it but it is great for the boutiques for the Mrs I think they were near Greenwich area.

If you like your films definitely go to the cinema. Went to the greatest cinema I have ever been to in my life while we were there I think around the Broadway area. But understand thats maybe not what everyone thinks of doing when on holiday..

Also get a cupcake at Magnolia Bakery, you can get one from the famous shop, but I'd just get one from the store in the market which is found under Grand Central Station, which the market is great!
  • Options
    Visit the Frick Collection - Best gallery in NYC...Constable's Salisbury Cathedral, Tunrer's Mortlake Terrace...Unusual for an industrialist, Frick had great taste!
  • Options
    Hold on, I forgot the Meridian hotel - it has the best burger place you will ever find. They wouldn't sell up so the hotel was built around it. Just make sure you know what you want before you get to the counter - they don't suffer fools in there!
  • Options
    Enjoyed USS Intrepid and the Guggenheim - Yellow Cabs were cheap (last in NY in 2010) er then there UK equivalents about $14 to cross half the island. Staten Island Ferry is free and you get back on at the other end. Empire State obviously, enjoyed the city and was there when there was a ticker tape parade for the NY Yankees. Just think it is a very vibrant place much like I feel about London.
  • Options
    Did a tour of Madison Square Gardens, lunch in Central Park, saw Phantom on Broadway, took a taxi and boat tour, all to be recommended - depending on your own taste of course. Also Empire State Building, Macys and the usual touristy places.
    Make a list of the things you want to do before you go, and sort out an itinery to make best use of your time when you arrive.
  • Options
    Am going in June. Going to see the Yankees v Mets on Friday and Saturday nights.....

Cannot wait!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was in NY a few months ago, last time I was there was before 'zero tolerance' (when you really had to be on the ball when walking the streets or on the subway). Really enjoyed the city and the buzz at night. I would echo what the other lifers have suggested I especially liked the highline mentioned by Jimmy 85....and I was told that the meat packer area is now where the in-crowd go. You will have a great 50th!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips.

I am now busy planning what to do on what day. :o)
  • Options
    Go to Lombardi's in Soho. The best pizza in New York. Inexpensive but they don't take cards.
    oh yes, this is well worth it. MAHOOSIVE pizza's. We were pigs and went for the largest and a salad. Didn't need the massive salad as it was so big. You can wander through Italian quarter and China town up from Brooklyn Bridge to get there if you want to plan a route?

We also went to see the NY Jets play. it's out of town (new jersey) so you have to take some time out of your day to go, but great experience and fab to get a train out of Central Station and have a drink/food in the Oyster bar before you go? Disappointed they didn't come round selling hot dogs though. Assume thats baseball.