Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evening Standard

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
So I have picked up that rag the last two days hoping to read about the budget and how it would effect me. How completely far removed are they from the average Londoner. I know its not a popular paper but honestly, this article "What the budget means for us"... now i know it may relate to some on here but that is not your average person.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/uk/have-your-say-what-the-budget-means-for-us-7579975.html

And then last night, "Londoner's hit hard by stamp duty" which i started to read with interest... piss off.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/london/londoners-hit-hard-by-7-per-cent-stamp-duty-on-2million-homes-7580099.html

FFS. Yesi know it must be difficult to find another 53k overnight but this does not represent your average flipping commuter who is sitting on a train taking them back to their zone 4 homes.

Bunch of morons.

Comments

• even though its free its still to much !

Evening Gooner so says it all really.
  • Forgive me if I don't shed too many tears that someone who can afford to buy a £2m home has to pay an extra 2% stamp duty. Boo frikkin hoo!
  • Want a REAL laugh? Pick the SubStandard up on a Wednesday and leaf through it's property section. Absolutely fucking hilarious that they make a big hooha about poverty in the capital, yet their features (property showcases being the worst) are invariably about drums that go for about 700k a pop.

It's a dirty shitrag advert for the middle classes. And that's BEFORE you even consider the 'Let Them Die' debacle.
  • Don't bother picking it up if you want to read about Charlton either. Very rarely do we get a mention.
  • Don't bother picking it up if you want to read about Charlton either. Very rarely do we get a mention.
    There was a massive double page spread on us a month ago!

• Want a REAL laugh? Pick the SubStandard up on a Wednesday and leaf through it's property section. Absolutely fucking hilarious that they make a big hooha about poverty in the capital, yet their features (property showcases being the worst) are invariably about drums that go for about 700k a pop.

It's a dirty shitrag advert for the middle classes. And that's BEFORE you even consider the 'Let Them Die' debacle.
    I was just going to say this about the property!

Don't think they're actually living in the real world.

you sure that wasn't the Sheffield edition.
    Must have missed that one but don't ever look for any team news or a match report.

• You're right - all of those people could come into the 'high earner catagory' even the job seeker they found clearly has rich parents as she 'doesn't believe in benefits' and lives on the money they give her.

I would like to see a £25k a year office junior or a shop worker. Even middle management people don't have £300k combined incomes and live in Holland park.
  • This one: The working family

Katrina Murphy, 41, mother of Lewis, 12, and Cameron, six, and husband Shaun Turner, 46

Employment: Ex-Phantom Of The Opera star who founded Soprano Bella, providing opera singers for functions.

Home: Detached four-bedroom home in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire.

Annual income/turnover: Personal income of £50,000, business turnover of about £300,000.

Outgoings: Two diesel cars, about £100 a week, school fees £3,000-£4,000 per term.

That is not your average working bloody family.

agree with you there, except my flat was advertised in there this wednesday. although, with no picture, not on the focus page and in a section so small you needed a magnifying glass to see it. I had to complain and whinge and moan at our estate agents to get that put in though, and it has only appeared 'after' we have accepted an offer on our flat. what a waste of effort/money.
  • Sponsored links:

but nothing on Wednesday after our game.....not even a paragraph. But its ok, because I found out the Blackburn score with a colour photo of their game. yay.
  • edited March 2012
    Well Leroy I have a decent house and have worked hard for the last 40 years does that make me middle class or working class?
  • I picked it up the Substandard too and was also amazed by what they of as typical Londoners!
  • They do this every year. I recall one year they had a police inspector earning £30k as their 'low income' example.
  • edited March 2012
    even though its free its still to much !

Evening Gooner so says it all really.
    Funny because I stopped picking it up when the Spurs/Harry love in started
  • edited March 2012
    upper middle class at they very least if they can afford a 2 million home, although I'm not sure if these labels are appropriate

• Katrina Murphy, 41, mother of Lewis, 12, and Cameron, six, and husband Shaun Turner, 46
    Mother of 3, then .....?
  • Well Leroy I have a decent house and have worked hard for the last 40 years does that make me middle class or working class?
    It's a state of mind, outlook & behaviours, not money & possessions.

• Well Leroy I have a decent house and have worked hard for the last 40 years does that make me middle class or working class?
    Class in terms of working, middle and upper does not work in today's society, but people cling to them for fear of having to try and find a modern way to define themselves.

People use terms like 'upper middle' to fit new meaning in old systems of heirarchy. Women who define themselves as any class are particularily wrong as under the class system everyone is defined by the work of the male of the household and therefore women are not indiviudally defined.

This highlights how increadibly outdated this ideal is.
  • That is not your average working bloody family.
    Home: Detached four-bedroom home in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire.
    And not actually living in LONDON either.

Tells you who the sub-standard (and the London politicians they support) are really interested in, and it isn't most of the people living in London...

• Sponsored links:

Class in terms of working, middle and upper does not work in today's society, but people cling to them for fear of having to try and find a modern way to define themselves.

People use terms like 'upper middle' to fit new meaning in old systems of heirarchy. Women who define themselves as any class are particularily wrong as under the class system everyone is defined by the work of the male of the household and therefore women are not indiviudally defined.

This highlights how increadibly outdated this ideal is.
    agreed, nowadays the class system is more about people trying to find some thing to belong to rather than anything real. Some of my friends see themselves as working class even though them and their parents went to university, own their own house etc.
  • Didn't have an opinion on that paper until it ran a story about my former boss, and made him look like an evil, sexist asshole. He's one of the nicest, most selfless guys I've ever met. Now I wouldn't even use the Standard to light a fire. Made me realise how many other stories I read in mainstream press are full of lies and deceit. I should have known that already, I realise!

• I might be on my own here but I think it's an ok paper. The middle press is largely unreadable (express, mail), the tabloids are comics, so I find it adequate for a train journey flick read. Football coverage is disgraceful though.
  • So I have picked up that rag the last two days hoping to read about the budget and how it would effect me. How completely far removed are they from the average Londoner. I know its not a popular paper but honestly, this article "What the budget means for us"... now i know it may relate to some on here but that is not your average person.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/uk/have-your-say-what-the-budget-means-for-us-7579975.html

And then last night, "Londoner's hit hard by stamp duty" which i started to read with interest... piss off.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/london/londoners-hit-hard-by-7-per-cent-stamp-duty-on-2million-homes-7580099.html

FFS. Yesi know it must be difficult to find another 53k overnight but this does not represent your average flipping commuter who is sitting on a train taking them back to their zone 4 homes.

Bunch of morons.

• No horse racing in there anymore either.....
  • It used to have pretty good footy coverage. They used to ensure they had a least one update form every Football League London club. Now they're more likely to run a story on Manu than Charlton. I suspect that is because all of their stroies come from press releases / other newspapers and they would have to actually go to a press conferenc to cover us.
  • For a freebie I think the Standard is great value but noticed this week they didn't have a preview or small report (even the usual few lines) of our Yeovil game-just doing Prem and the Championship clubs

Hopefully we'll see some more coverage at least next season, back up in the Championship
  • Big tory bias but done in a tone that tries to like it's not! But it's free and something to read on the train- just don't take comments by tory boy Matthew Ancona too seriously!!!
  • The Daily Mail in disguise .......actually, isn't the Evening sub-Standard owned by the Daily Malice?
  • Its a freebee, something to read and discard on the train. So its never going to be that great.
    I do like the Wednesday addition, "houses I cant afford" with prat estate agents.
    Football wise West Ham get coverage better than all the other London sides combined.