Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colonoscopy (I know!)

edited March 2012 in Not Sports Related
We're all friends on here, yet no-one actually knows who I am, so what the hell - I might as well ask. I'm due to have a colonoscopy soon and I have to say I'm not looking forward to it (crapping myself, ironically).
Has anyone else had one of these? How was it?

Comments

• Options
    Yes and it's uncomfortable, that's all.
  • Options
    I've been told I'll need three days off work. One before, the day of the procedure and one after. Sounds like a lot - does that sound right?
  • Options
    a pain in the arse
  • Options
    Some good friends have told me all about this procedure and I am hoping that I either never need to have it or they think of another way of doing it before I need it. So, all the best!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    a pain in the arse
    It was only a matter of time...

Please don't let this deteriorate into a pun thread - it's my arse on the line here.
  • Options
    Its actually nothing more than uncomfortable.

The worst bit for me was the stuff you have to drink and the effects of it the previous night
  • Options
    I've been told I'll need three days off work. One before, the day of the procedure and one after. Sounds like a lot - does that sound right?
    no. I was told not to eat the evening before and in the morning of a 10am appointment. It took about 15 minutes and i went to work after 2 Greggs sausage rolls.(it's the sort of thing you'll never forget)
  • Options

The worst bit for me was the stuff you have to drink and the effects of it the previous night
    So I'll need to comandeer a bathroom and make sure I've got a good book.
  • Options
    no. I was told not to eat the evening before and in the morning of a 10am appointment. It took about 15 minutes and i went to work after 2 Greggs sausage rolls.(it's the sort of thing you'll never forget)
    Right. I asked if I could go to work afterwards and the woman started laughing. I assume it's more due to the effects of the sedative than the 'procedure'. maybe i should take it like a man and refuse anaesthetic.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    a pain in the arse
    It was only a matter of time...

Please don't let this deteriorate into a pun thread - it's my arse on the line here.
    I take it no reference to periscopes either then. Seriously my friend has just had it done and said it was a bit uncomfortable so best wishes with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

was it some white lemony thing
    every pissy dump felt like hot molton lava with broken glass ripping your arse as i cleared myself out in preparation

• Options
    i had a sedative and the wife there as the doctor inserted his large object right up me

i was a bit out of it but remember laughing a lot once the 'procedure' was finished and the ridiculous amounts of wind i had
  • Options
    It sounds like you may be having something more than just a camera up the bum (unless it's a Box Brownie). Ask exactly what is going to be done.
  • Options

was it some white lemony thing
    every pissy dump felt like hot molton lava with broken glass ripping your arse as i cleared myself out in preparation

Thanks. That was the kind of reassurance I was looking for.
  • Options
    It hurts lovely! ;-)
  • Options
    We're all friends on here, yet no-one actually knows who I am, so what the hell - I might as well ask. I'm due to have a colonoscopy soon and I have to say I'm not looking forward to it (crapping myself, ironically).
    Hi........You may wish to read this thread :-

http://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43892/journal-of-a-colonoscopy#Item_29

• Options
    It was nowhere near as bad as that for me. I guess it's different for everyone.

I just hated the taste of the drink. Moviprep I think it was called. I hate the taste of lemon and I had to drink 4 litres of the stuff. I spent most of the time trying not to throw it all back up.

After that everything else was unpleasant but nothing more. I mean it's like having the sh*ts but really bad. It's hardly going to be pleasant.

As for the actual procedure I was knocked out so I dont remember too much. I came too during the procedure but couldnt feel anything.

It's a day off job. No need for more than that.
  • Options
    i had a sedative and the wife there as the doctor inserted his large object right up me
    Did he have both his hands on your shoulders?

• Options
    Bloody hell Uboat me too in a couple of weeks and i have to say reading some of the threads I won't need the pre-proceedure jollop I am begining to shit myself now! Not looking forward to it but I have to say in my case it is just precautionary so it's worth the discomfort for peace of mind.
  • Options
    Just be thankful you aren't having a Cystocopy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three days off work me ballacks. I had it done in the morning and went to work in the afternoon. It's not pleasant, but they want you to do it for a reason, and the potential drawbacks if you don't get it done (agonising, drawn-out death in the case of colon/bowel cancer) are far worse!

Lie back (or, in this case, lie in the foetal position with your hands clasped round your knees) and think of England!

• Options
    I'd say it's two days, the day before because you have to drink that disgusting moviprep stuff and then the day of the procedure.
    It's not actually that bad. I have to have the one down the throat every 2 years and that is much worse.
  • Options
    This is much more fun than players marks.
  • Options
    I'd say it's two days, the day before because you have to drink that disgusting moviprep stuff and then the day of the procedure.
    It's not actually that bad. I have to have the one down the throat every 2 years and that is much worse.
    Agree with that. Had both too. Bottom end definitely uncomfortable, but quite bizarre seeing the light of the camera inside you through the skin of your stomach. Top end for some reason more uncomfortable afterwards and definitely more scary when it goes in...
  • Options
    Hi........You may wish to read this thread :-

http://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43892/journal-of-a-colonoscopy#Item_29

Oh man. Think I might postpone.
  • Options
    Yeah, the endoscopy is much, much worse. Had it twice - first time I thought I'd firm it and go without the sedative. Do yourself a favour - don't ever do that - it was absolutely f***ing horrendous.
  • Options
    Day before was worst for me. Took something called Piccolax. Lost count of the number of times I went to the carsey, and have never felt so empty in my life.

Was given some happy juice before the procedure, and was so high that I don't recall any discomfort at all. I remember looking at the screen and seeing the inside of my own arse! I asked if I could have a photo for my mother in law, was told yes, and was most disappointed to find out they didn't mean it.

Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    As has been said already a few times, nothing to worry about, a bit uncomfortable(bloated feeling) but you will be sedated at the time.

The drink you have the day before certainly does it`s job.

You won`t forget you have had it done but also you will be glad you did in terms of reassurance!

• Options
    At what age is it time to starts thinking about having one?
  • Options
    ...and there's no need for polite conversation during the procedure...