Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Panorama bung exposee

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Whilst i expect plenty of suggestion and little concrete...

has anyone considered the potential fall-out if Mr Dowie is named in the programme ?

Simon Jordan is out today stating he knows 3 or 4 managers who take bungs, while the BBC seem pretty sure they have uncovered something major.

Comments

• Options
    not seeing much of the trailers- wouldn't it have been i relation to the time whem ID was a Championship manager?

No suprise that the "Orange one" knows some- Doesn't he know everything?
  • Options
    The BBC will probably not DIRECTLY name people. There may be hints and innuendo though.

I heard Mike Newell being interviewed on the radio the other night and he hinted that he is being hung out to dry after his comments which suggests to me that although the BBC are hyping it there won't be many, if any, tangible revelations.
  • Options
    No ... ask me tomorrow!

(pity they have to show it whilst there are games on)
  • Options
    Like Len I doubt we will really see anything particularly shocking. A few names may be mentioned but if it was really going to ruin a few managers' evenings I imagine something would have leaked by now.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    oi afka, behave...definitely cant see him as the type to compromise himself...cant see charlton employing him if there was sniff of him being the type (aint there a bloke on the board that has a bit of inside info of the bbc ?)...and to be fair - no what what we all think of him, can you imagine simon jordan allowing anybody to grab money out of palace's pocket without kicking up a fuss ?
  • Options
    It'll all be piss & wind like everything else on the BBC...!
  • Options
    There's a good reason why you haven't seen many of the trailers...the British libel laws...

Ireland have different laws concerning libel, here's a trailer on RTE's website and mentions Big Sam and Harry Redknapp:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0919/allardyces.html

"What is definite is that Luton manager Mike Newell will name the agents he claims offered him a bung."

I recall Curbs being offered a bung in his book, but mentions no names.

Maybe this why the FA decided not to appoint Allardyce to replace SGE??
  • Options
    but if it was really going to ruin a few managers' evenings I imagine something would have leaked by now.

According to the RTE trailer the programme is still being vetted by the lawyers, therefore there will be a lot of last minute editing in/out of information.

It seems from the trailer that Big Sam and his family are "concerned" by what might be revealed, hmmm....
  • Options
    Nothing libellous in that RTE news story (and if there was, there'd be nothing to stop someone from suing RTE through the UK courts, because of the way libel laws treat internet "publication").

The BBC's still being very cagey about what's on the programme. Simon Jordan's probably only commenting because someone asked him to since he's a known bigmouth, I wouldn't read too much into it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]No... ask me tomorrow!

(pity they have to show it whilst there are games on)

Good point, I wonder what genius came up with the idea of putting on a football related programme on when the majority of fans will be at games!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute wash out.

What did we learn ? Chelsea tap up youngsters (so do minimum 50% of clubs) and a couple of managers like a bit of entertainment.

Of course there is corruption in football, there is in every industry, but if that is all a 12-month sting can produce, its likely the corruption is not as widespread is we all probably imagine.