Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simple question - Is this season better than our penultimate in the Premiership.

On the 'yes' side
+ Way cheaper in relative terms (and I dont mean I havent had to pay for my brother)
+ Interesting away grounds full of character, not soul-less money temples
+ Strange feeling of disbelief each week that the wheels still havent come off
+ More wins, fewer defeats
+ Some big wins and some cracking goals
+players who seem to know what Charlton means
+ Fairy tale element having (another) one of our own in charge and doing unexpectedly well
+ Parking is easier
+ Easier to get served beer

On the 'no' side
- Some of the away grounds have ahem...left a little to be desired....
- Chesterfield rather than Chelsea, football
- No derogatory comments about getting out of ''this poxy/tinpot/two bob league''
- the fuzzy feeling you get when the Valley is packed
EDITED
- overseas addicks able to see all the games as mentioned by many below.
- the unexpected joy of seeing blokes in Charlton shirts in places such as Laos or Bolivia, or seeing the shirts on sale in remote markets of the world.

Comments

• Nine pros, four cons. I think you answered your own question FM...
  • Simple answer. No.
  • I've preferred it this season. There's nothing like winning.
  • You can't beat watching world class footballers every week. In addition, the fact that some of them actually wore our badge on their shirt makes it a big NO from me.
  • Given the choice for next season would you rather:

1. We play another season like this in league 1?

2. We play in the Premier League and finished midtable?

2. for me all the way.

This season has been brilliant but one of the best things is that I can realistically look forward to more seasons in the top flight very soon.

Onwards and upwards
  • The penultimate season was our most depressing in the Premiership even worse than the relegation seasons, It completely fizzled out after the cup win against Chelsea in October.

I doubt there's anyone who's not enjoying this season more.
  • I've loved this season, but will always prefer any season in the top league that doesn't involve relegation
  • Given the choice for next season would you rather:

1. We play another season like this in league 1?

2. We play in the Premier League and finished midtable?

2. for me all the way.

This season has been brilliant but one of the best things is that I can realistically look forward to more seasons in the top flight very soon.

Onwards and upwards
    Different question perhaps for another poll type thread?

Or you could add a more realistic
    3. compete realistically for a play off place in Champioship with clubs with a similar budget.
  • The penultimate season was our most depressing in the Premiership even worse than the relegation seasons, It completely fizzled out after the cup win against Chelsea in October.

It did, didnt it.
    I remember feeling like we weren't playing on a level field - the difference in squad values just made the whole thing stupid.

• has to be this season.

Mainly helped by the wins.
    but also because of the closesness between the fans and the players.
    And the manager, well, only a few of us have been fortunate enough to experience this feeling previously. love. real love.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    Nine pros, four cons. I think you answered your own question FM...
    I notice that - as I started the Premiership plus points of that season, I came over all disheartened with the recollections.

I should have added

- Curbs still in charge and leading us to safety against the odds, again.
    and as pointed out by Karim,
    + a closer bond between players and fans, though that was also fairly true in that season even with the quality signings we had amassed.

• edited February 2012
    No. A win at Wallsall doesnt hold the same magic for me as a hard fought draw down the road at Villa.

Loved this season because it seems like we are moving in the right direction including hopefully getting out of this league but being also rans as one of the best 20 teams in the country in the top flight of arguably the world's best league is more prestigious and an achievment than smashing the 3rd division.

As much as i despise a lot of the things inherent in Premiership football if you are going to compete you want to strive to do it at the highest level even if it takes years (even decades) until you are really stamping your mark up there. Can imagine our manager and players could feel the same and not just for financial reasons.

Suppose it's all relative to your club though. Imagine Man utd fans would probably swap a league title or two for winning the Champions league each year.
  • edited February 2012
    There's a saying in love that sometimes the pursuit is more fun than the actual reality, I like the pursuit of getting to the top table, and doing it with some panache, things have got even tougher to survive and flourish in the Premiership, as we are all turning into old gifts if we do get to the Prem I hope we don't keep comparing it with the last time we got there, but we probably will!
  • Prem had become dull
  • Depends on the last 13 games.

I seem to recall how in 2000/01 we just stood still and waited for the finishing line to come towards us.

I think we have already reached a position where promotion is hard to avoid - Huddersfield need to close the gap by 1 point per game and that's the difference between Sheffield W and Chesterfield's position - but how I would love them to storm across that finishing line and break the tape!

One last push, please
  • No, but only because I'm missed most of it and gutted. I love going to crappy Northern pubs on crappy Northern towns and seeing Charlton win.
  • This season is better. Balls to the Prem.
  • So, its a 7-4 vote that the penultimate Premiership season is better than the one we are currently enduring.
    Interesting.
    I'll cast my vote to make it 7-5
  • This season all the way. I don't care who we are playing, whether it be the Massives or whether it be Arsenal, Chelsea etc. All I'm interested in is seeing Charlton beat the team in front of them.

There were some great players in our team of the early 2000s, but this season has been so good simply because it has been so unexpected. Not to mention the fact that we practically have more than a handful of potential future Charlon legends in this team. We will look back on this season in a similar light we do 1999-2000, and rightfully so.
  • I've enjoyed this one more, mostly because I was quite young when we went up to the Prem and wasn't in full anorak mode at the time. This season I've been following it religiously every day and I've seen pretty much nothing but good things happen. I'll remember this season best of any I think
  • Sponsored links:

• For me its been more enjoyable as sitting here in the middle of the night listening is so much more fun when you here the crowd roar and you here charlton go one up .. as opposed to listening to someone equalise or go ahead against us..

The reason why moving forward that would all be different is becasue if we ever get back to the PREM here in OZ Id be able to watch EVERY SINGLE GAME LIVE!!!!

So that for me would make it much much much better .. Frankly Id be over the moon!
  • Exactly

Overseas addicks get to watch much more action when we are in prem

This season is giving me a real buzz... But i would choose being able to watch live games vs. tHe best in the land on my tv/down the pub
  • edited March 2012
    Likewise Mascot and Siv...
  • I must admit that I am not as bothered about getting back to the Premiership as others are on here, I'd rather be the hunter than the hunted.

I want us back in the CCC and being a top-half of the table team, the odd promotion would be OK but I don't want to be "established" in the Premiership because that means a return to scum like Marcus Bent and his ilk and I'd rather stay where we are now than go back to those days.

The only circumstances I would like a long stay in the Premiership would be if we got a mega rich benefactor, that would be quite fun to actually compete on level terms.

On that basis I would say - and I know at least a couple of my regular attending friends agree with me - that this season has been far more enjoyable than the penultimate Premiership season.
  • I don't think it's a simple question. This season has obviously been highly successful but it also comes after a run of declining league positions. If we had got in the play offs this season, it would have seemed like progress and made us feel that things were on the mend. Of course, it has been much better than that and it feels even better. However, you can't beat a full Valley beating the top teams, so I would have to go for the penultimate season in the Premiership, but it's a tough call.

If there's one thing I've enjoyed about this season, it is the commitment of the guys on the pitch. They want to do well for each other and I am not sure I have seen a previous Charlton as committed. I know sports psychologists say that you should not get too excited when you win and not get too low when you lose, but when you saw the team celebrating after the game at Sheff Wed, you knew this team are determined to give it their all.

Hmm, I'm starting to talking myself back into saying this season is better........
  • penultimate PL season was woeful, if the question is about enjoyment then this season is surely on a different level
  • I think I've enjoyed this season more as a fan, but a lot of that comes down to my actual matchday experience. I've got a good group of friends that I go to games with home and away. It's also nice going away and actually winning games. I'd rather we were in The Premiership competing with the best teams in the country but I think the away trips to places like Exeter, Yeovil, Carlisle, Rochdale, Stevenage and many others will make being back in The Premiership when that day comes all the more satisfying.
    Being only 26 means that pretty much all of my early years as a Charlton fan were spent watching a club on the up going in the right direction topped off with the Play Off final and then subsequently winning the 1st Division to then spend a fully deserved period in the Premier League.
    I now feel like I've served a fair bit of time watching my club decline and hit rock bottom, to have them now come out fighting and finally turning the corner. I'm enjoying being a Charlton fan again. I can't wait to go to Old Trafford again to watch my club in the same league and like I said before those long trips this season will make that moment all the more glorious.
  • It's crazy that some people would prefer finishing mid table to lifting silverware.
  • This season is enjoyable only because we are winning.
    Take the winning out of the equation and compare last season with being in the prem.
  • It's crazy that some people would prefer finishing mid table to lifting silverware.
    I think the commitment of this team has made it a special season. However, the reality is that if we don't get promoted some of these players will be picked off by the better clubs and it would be a different team which may or may not be as good. I think we should enjoy the success while it lasts and hope the momentum keeps going next season. I still fear one or two of this team may be snapped up by bigger clubs assuming we go up; we just have to hope that the replacements fit in well.