Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chicago - any one been and give any pointers

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Looking to go to Chicago in Late Oct/early November --would appreciate any thoughts -- hotels and what to do.

Comments

• I used to work in Chicago, in a department store.....
    is there a punch line .............................
  • I've been there 3 or 4 times and it's a lovely city, although it does have cold winters. The weather can also change quickly - I recall taking my jacket back to my hotel room as it was so hot in the morning only to freeze at the other end of the day. The city centre and the area to the north of the city is really nice - it gets a bit dodgy to the south. It's best you stay inside The Loop, which is the train track that circles the centre or to the north where there are some nice suburbs with a lot going on.
    It's an old rugby club song. Sorry but I can't help singing it when I see the word Chicago.

I have been there once but only to change planes, sorry not much help.

It's an old rugby club song. Sorry but I can't help singing it when I see the word Chicago.

I have been there once but only to change planes, sorry not much help.

Cheers --now going to hum that song all :-)
  • It'll be cold and windy. Chicago is a great city for live music and the arts. At night, at least when I was there, parts of town are NO GO areas, but there again, so are parts of contemporary London
  • I have been here also and would agree with the above, stick inside the circle as the south can be quite dodge. Plenty of places to eat and drink and last orders are at 4am. Unlike LA San Fran etc where its lock down from 2 latest. Enjoy as I had a superb time!
  • Apparently Sears Tower is a must
  • edited February 2012
    I used to work in Chicago, in a department store.....
    One day a young lady came into the store.........

Good shout, that song brings back some good memories
  • Sponsored links:

• I ran the marathon out there in '98 which is normally that time of year. Only there for a few days but thought it was a great place. I stayed right on the front near the park/Navy Pier/Wriggley Buiding, etc in a nice hotel which was perfect...but not cheap.

Miles of waterfront, miles of shopping, great architecture/museums. I really liked it and would recommend it.

• buy a nice hat.
  • If they ask you White Sox or Cubs just run.
  • Just a point about Sears Tower - it's a rip off. There's another building across downtown that's almost just as tall, and with a better view and is free to get to the top of. It's a very expensive restaurant however and they didn't seem to mind if you just went to take a picture. If you are a girl (sorry, don't know your username) or are going with a girlfriend/wife the best view from that building is from the girl's toilets, so get her to take a picture.

I would also reccomend bobby's bike hike http://www.bobbysbikehike.com/ it's a really good way of seeing the city quickly and green. I'd recomend doing it at dusk, since you get to see some of the city during the day and the awesome skyline at night. Cycling is pretty big round there from what i can remember.

It's a cool city, but not a knock out one like i found San Fransisco, San Antonio and New Orleans. But i'd definatley love to go again.
  • edited February 2012
    If they ask you White Sox or Cubs just run.
    The Cubs play in quite a decent area, but it's all a bit dodgier when you go and watch the White Sox. I've seen 2 or 3 games at each ground.
  • If they ask you White Sox or Cubs just run.
    The Cubs play in quite a decent area, but it's all a bit dodgier when you go and watch the White Sox. I've seen 2 or 3 games at each ground.
    how about if i reply neither i am a charlton Fan

• It's a cool city, but not a knock out one like i found San Fransisco, San Antonio and New Orleans.
    I thought it was a million times better than New Orleans, not even comparable really! New Orleans is like a USA version of Magaluf!

Went to Chicago last July and thought it was amazing. The coolest buildings, awesome bars, restaurants, shopping and its even got a beach which I really didn't expect. Home of the Pizza pie and Frankie Knuckles which makes it a winner in my book!

• I have a feeling that ChicagoAddick might be able to point you in the right direction - why not inbox him?
  • born and raised in chicago here. i know all about the city and surround burbs.

late oct/early nov should hold some mildish temps... like anywhere from 45-65 degrees farenheight.

best area for a hotel is anywhere along the "magnificent mile" (this is the downtown area surrounded by restaurants, walking distance to the lake, and plenty of shops.)

once u settle in, the public transportation is amazing. chicago is one of 3 cities to have an elevated railway. so the trains run above the downtown area....
  • btw sears tower = willis tower now
  • Sponsored links:

• @jdsd42 One of the the planet's greatest secrets. Wonderful vibrant city. October/November is a great time of year to visit. I, of course, would thoroughly recommend it.

New York without the New Yorkers, highly walkable, absolutely plenty to do although a lot of the outside things close after Labor Day. However a walk along one of it's many beaches is a must.

Chicago has some of the best museums, galleries, music venues, parks, architecture, restaurants, shopping and sports teams in the world.

Stay down town, and don't be frightened to go south but make sure you get out of the city as there are some cracking neighbourhoods to explore if you have the time.
    Only if you work for Willis and made to wear the badge. Chicagoans call it the Sears Tower.
    Only if you work for Willis and made to wear the badge. Chicagoans call it the Sears Tower.
    i call it tourist tower cuz ive havnt been since i was 4 and never went back.
  • As someone said above. The Hancock is a much better experience.
    What'chu talkin' 'bout?
  • edited February 2012
    I will never forget 3 days in Chicago in January a few years back. Minus 18 maximum daytime high - I kid you not (before you factored the wind chill). I have never been so cold in my life. My snot froze on my nose. Going through Loveland Pass in the Rockies this winter was nothing on that.

Nice city though. I remember a few Addicks on here who live there. Think they are having a really mild winter this year?
    What'chu talkin' 'bout?
    Ha Ha - wasnt there meant to be a curse on that show?

• It's a cool city, but not a knock out one like i found San Fransisco, San Antonio and New Orleans.
    I thought it was a million times better than New Orleans, not even comparable really! New Orleans is like a USA version of Magaluf!

Went to Chicago last July and thought it was amazing. The coolest buildings, awesome bars, restaurants, shopping and its even got a beach which I really didn't expect. Home of the Pizza pie and Frankie Knuckles which makes it a winner in my book!

probably why i loved it so much! was underage at 19 and new orleans they didn't care, in Chicago I remember i tried to get into a famous blues bar but didn't get in. I guess that just stuck in my mind more! But new orleans is a real shadow of its former self, got a big feeling it was like a ghost town sometimes.
  • Been there twice and my favourite city in the US, even though both times were in winter. Try and stay in the Hard Rock which is where I stayed. Michigan Avenue is like a bigger version of Bond Street. Go for drinks in the new Trump tower which overlooks the Chicago river and the Wrigley building which is the coolest building outside of Gotham City!
  • Looking to go to Chicago in Late Oct/early November --would appreciate any thoughts -- hotels and what to do.
    1. Go up the Hancock Tower at dusk, on something like 95th floor there's a bar - the entry price is a drink and prices are not cheap, but on a clear day the view is stunning, the mid-west is billiard table flat and you can see four States as well as out across Lake Michigan.

2. Hotels - book something either downtown or around the Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville area (north of the downtown area) - there it's safer. Downtown the hotels are pricey - especially when there are conventions on but are well located for shopping, dining etc.

3. Art Institute of Chicago is worth a visit if you like art, besides a permanent display of stuff from Hopper (I think including the classic "Nighthawks") and French impressionists they always seem to have exhibitions. The AIC is in the Museum Campus - the Field Museum is nearby as is Soldier Field.

4. Baseball - in October the season is over but I think Wrigley Park do tours most days and that's worth a visit, ignore Chicago Sox's ground - Comiskey Park (it has a corporate name which I can't remember off-hand) anyhow the stadium is a soulless concrete carbuncle, although I did once score a sky-box invite for a game against the Yankees so I should be a bit more grateful.

5. Blues music - avoid the big corporate venues like House of Blues and look around Clark, "Blue Chicago" is a favourite of mine. There are quite a few other smaller blues bars in that area.

6. A good cheap place to eat is the food court in the lower ground floor of the Water Tower Place- next to the Hancock Tower on Michigan. Also worth a evening is "Dick's Last Resort" a sort of antidote to McDonalds, the food is pretty ropey but that's not the point, there's always a live band on and deliberately obnoxious staff, paper napkin fights, beer in one litre bottles etc.

7. Getting about - besides taxis there is the CTA - Chicago Transit Authoity train which can take you from Rosemont in the suburbs near O'Hare downtown and around reasonably cheaply.

8. Safety - Chicago is a very segregated city, there are certain areas where you will be safe - downtown around Michigan Avenue, the business district before dusk (after working hours the place is deserted) the "Gold Coast" just up from Michigan Avenue and a few blocks either side, go too far and you will cross a demarcation zone which is easy to spot - the quality of housing and general ambience will take a noticeable dive. The gangs know which side to stay on and the local rule is that they won't get hassled by the police if they keep to their side of the city. Tourists are encouraged not to stray into these areas...

9. Shopping - the big Dept stores Marshall Fields on State and in the Water Tower Place, Bloomingdales (opposite the Hancock Tower) etc all have sales on from Friday to Sunday with racks of remaindered clothing which disappear on Monday, so do your shopping at the weekend.