Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England squad for Sri Lanka test tour.

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
England Test squad for Sri Lanka tour: Strauss, Anderson, Bell, Bopara, Bresnan, Broad, Cook, Davies, Finn, Panesar, Patel, Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Tredwell & Trott. What do you think about that squad?

See Morgan has been dropped which is good to see! But not to sure about Bopara and Patel !?

Comments

• Tredders!
  • Needed to drop KP too. I'm a fan of Bopara, hope he does well.
  • hope finn gets a chance he was awsome in the one dayers
  • edited February 2012
    Feel sorry for Morgan...I believe there's a great player tucked away in there somewhere......let's hope he 'regroups' and get's another chance sometime.......he's a fantastic fielder too.
    Glad to see KP doing well in the 20x20's........altogether a different game to Test Cricket of course but he had that arrogant swagger back and just maybe he's going to find some real form again in all codes of the game. With a player like that it's quite possible......we'll have to wait and see. Would seem he's very important in the dressing room, which is also something that shouldn't be overlooked..
  • 4 spinners in the squad! I can't see us playing 3 spinners in a game, so seems a bit excessive?
  • I wouldn't be surprised if KP had his own dressing room. The man is only interested in one thing and that is himself.
    Morgan is definately an International class player, but only for Ireland.
  • Needed to drop KP too. I'm a fan of Bopara, hope he does well.
    a fan of bopara and needed to drop kp u have some nerve
  • glad morgan was dropped but not impressed that patel and bopara are the new middle order options would of liked to of seen taylor or bairstrow given a chance
  • KP, Bell Cook etc were great against India, but cack against Pakistan. I think they deserve another chance against Sri Lanka as KP and Cook deleiveredin the 1-dayers. I'm an Essex fan and love Ravi, but I think he's has enough test chances and just come up short. Morgan isn't test standard. also, Taylor fluffed his chance with the Lions, but other than him, I can't think of too many conteneders. we a re looking at collingwood's replacement - someone who can get stuck in.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if KP had his own dressing room. The man is only interested in one thing and that is himself.
    You obviously missed yesterdays game then.

• Sponsored links:

• Flower's showing faith in what can be a decidedly flaky middle order. This, I suspect is because, other then the chosen, the cupboard is bare. It's a positive looking side and it's always good to see lots of bowlers in the squad.
    Strange that when he receives the MoM award, the first thing he says is that it is a team game.
  • Flower's showing faith in what can be a decidedly flaky middle order. This, I suspect is because, other then the chosen, the cupboard is bare. It's a positive looking side and it's always good to see lots of bowlers in the squad.
    there are loads of young options some not quite ready yet but a couple that definitely are and this is an ideal oppurtunity flower has missed to draft them in especially taylor
    there are loads of young options some not quite ready yet but a couple that definitely are and this is an ideal oppurtunity flower has missed to draft them in especially taylor
    other than Taylor, about whom I have doubts as a test batsman, name names .....
  • The problem with dropping Morgan is that he'll spend the next month or so playing in the IPL and very lucratively so, but that won't advance his game. I'd rather he was kept with the Test squad, although not as a player, simply to learn to develop his Test batting.
  • I think our performances against a disinterested India drew us into false confidence about what we could do in sub-continent conditions against a strong Pakistan team.

Fact is that India could not give a rats about Test cricket, someone said last night on TV here - a very respected journalist - that MS Dhoni gets paid $50 million per year in India!!!

On that kind of money why would he or any of the others give a damn about Tests?
  • edited February 2012
    have to agree with lincsaddick, there doesent seem to be any real young players who are quite ready to make the cut.

on the whole india situration its such a shame. obviously not for the ones who get to play in the IPL they love it. This money being brought into the game is ruining test cricket and has been causing gambling rings to create match fixing.
  • 4 spinners in the squad! I can't see us playing 3 spinners in a game, so seems a bit excessive?
    Tredders is in as cover for Swann and Samit Patel as cover for Monty.

• have to agree with lincsaddick, there doesent seem to be any real young players who are quite ready to make the cut.

on the whole india situration its such a shame. obviously not for the ones who get to play in the IPL they love it. This money being brought into the game is ruining test cricket and has been causing gambling rings to create match fixing.
    match fixing in cricket has been around for a long time.
  • have to agree with lincsaddick, there doesent seem to be any real young players who are quite ready to make the cut.

match fixing in cricket has been around for a long time.
    yes but the money has made it a hell of alot more tempting for those approached to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

Strange that when he receives the MoM award, the first thing he says is that it is a team game.
    Don't be fooled!

• call me an old (or at least aging !!) pessimist .. I've said it before and I'll repeat, Test Cricket in the present format will be dead in 10 years or less
  • call me an old (or at least aging !!) pessimist .. I've said it before and I'll repeat, Test Cricket in the present format will be dead in 10 years or less
    They said that 10 Years ago when T20 came out.
  • Were currently playing a warm up match against Sri Lanka Board President's XI.
    They were bowled out for 169. Anderson took 4 wickets whilst Panesar took 5 wickets. No wickets at all for Swann.
    At the close of the play today we finished on 303-8 with Cook on an unbeaten 163.
    Ian Bell scored 0 and Ravi Bopara scored 12.
    I know its only a warm up match but looks like positions 5 & 6 in the team could still be a problem.
  • ^ cheers Steve .. same old same old re the lower middle order .. the entire m/o come to that. Given the squad though, Bell and Bopara are pretty much nailed on. Just hope they can get 'nailed in' now and then as well.
  • Patel might get a chance, but they wouldnt play him with swann and panesar surely
  • Sri Lanka batting. 15-3.
  • Patel might get a chance, but they wouldnt play him with swann and panesar surely
    that's me wrong then. And not for the last time either I wouldn't imagine. I reckon without his injury Bopara would have played.

Still, 128/5 Patel getting Chamdimal out! England are in the driving seat
  • I'm sure Bopara would have played if he'd been able to bowl. I'm also sure that Patel will play no more than 2 Tests for England, this one and the next one.