Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chesterfield v Charlton Ath - 28 February 2012 - Preview, Predictions, Teams and Views

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
It Tuesday so it must be Belgium the B2net Stadium.

After seeing off Steve FC in the second football for a fiver game of the season we pay a delayed visit to Chesterfield, the team we beat 3 - 1 in the first.

It shows just how quickly things can change in football that that September win took us a massive three points clear at the top for the first time, Paul Hayes scored his first, and last, Valley goal for Charlton and Leon Clarke won the penalty that lead to the visitors strike.

Chesterfield have been near or in the bottom four for most of the season. They are on a mini-revival which has seen them win five and draw one of their last eight including a home win over Sheffield Wednesday but they still sit bottom of the league.

So an easy win then? Well, it was also top v bottom when we faced Rochdale and that didn't quite work out as we all hoped.

Chris Powell seems unlikely, despite this being the third of five midweek games in six weeks, to make any changes given the unsettling affect of the positional and player switches (some forced others not) in the Dale game. Add to that what seems to be his preferred starting XI won convincingly on Saturday.

The focus since Saturday has been on BWP ending his scoring drought but perhaps more significantly the defence kept a clean sheet for the first time in five. This side can play some great, expressive, attacking football at times but its success has been built on the meanest defence for many a year, maybe ever in the club's history.

Another shut-out for the fantastic five and another three points after Jackson, Wiggins and BWP all score in a 3 - 0 win.

Comments

• Yes, agree all round.
    Easy win (expecting the usual 'dont get cocky' responses;-) ) 3-0
    We are the far better team, the motivation is there and we have the best manager in this division.
    Dont change the team, keep creating great chances, and lets hope a few more of them go in this time.
    Defence deserve another clean sheet.
  • Henry that was an awful film!

Unchanged team with a 2-0 win
  • edited February 2012
    BWP definitely to score tomorrow. Maybe one, maybe two, possibly even a third to get his first hatrick of the season? Good shout for Jackson to score, there's a chance even Green could get another goal.

Should be an easy game for us 3-0, COYR!!
  • Henry that was an awful film!

Unchanged team with a 2-0 win
    It was but I'm still pleased someone got the joke : - )

• edited February 2012
    Haven't seen the boys lose on the road yet this season (never went to Stevenage and Orient on the box doesn't count) so looking to maintain my ubeaten run. Unchanged team and another solid away win with goals from BWP, Yan and Clarke coming on as sub to score against his old club in a 3-0 demolition.
  • Mini revivals usually come crashing down sooner rather than later. I think they will get nil, but not sure if we will get 1, 2 or 3!
  • 4-0 win...BWP hatrick and Haynes with the other. It feels like someone's going to get a pasting after the Steve game and I can see it being Chesterfield.
  • Surely Chesterfield wont defend as high as stevenage did and therefore space in behind will be at a premium, nevertheless we should be far to good for them, so unless another tickey tuesday night 1-1 im going for a rousing 3 (maybe more) -0 win - BWP (2) & Yann the man,
  • Would be a real let down if we don't kick on from Saturday's great win. I could see Chesterfield nicking a scrappy goal, but I don't think the defence will let them this time. Realistically we should take a comfortable 2-0.

But realism is boring, so I reckon it's a 0-0 deadlock until substitute Leon Clarke scores with a 93rd minute winner against his old club, breaking hearts and spilling flasks all over the stadium
  • Might not be as easy as we'd hope. I see Chesterfield have only lost three of their last ten - and no team outside the top six has fewer defeats over that period.

That said, I'm still going for a 4-0 win, and BWP to get a brace to build on Saturday's goal /make amends for the five he missed (delete according to taste!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Really feeling the 3-0 win.
  • A point would be good, away from home, anything better great!
  • 1-0, I can see Chesterfield being very cautious as we created a LOT of chances on Saturday, and I can't see Chesterfield being as open. A hard battle.

I reckon Bournemouth will be more open, so there'll be more goals on Saturday.
  • edited February 2012
    A point would be good, away from home, anything better great!
    You're doing it again Len, stop it...............no on second thoughts it is obviously reverse psychology..........I like it!
  • 1-1 and another point in the bag. Would love 3
  • 1-2 Charlton Bwp Kermorgant
  • I believe the hardest thing for us now is staying focussed. This team can do it; individuals still have something to prove and with Championship football to look forward to I can't imagine any of them will want to let their form slip, and there are records to be broken.

BWP in particular will want to convert more of those opportunities into goals and the defence will be determined to retain another clean sheet: Reckon, 3-0 to us.
  • BWP definitely to score tomorrow. Maybe one, maybe two, possibly even a third to get his first hatrick of the season?
    would also be the first hat-trick of his career

• a huge away following could lift us to victory

so 1-1 it is
  • a huge away following could lift us to victory

so 1-1 it is
    I'm going, huge away following guaranteed

• Sponsored links:

• Are we not a superstitious lot at Preview Towers, stick with a winning formation, AFKA got us that result on Saturday :)

2-0 win, BWP on the scoresheet again in front of the 674 travelling hordes.
  • 2-0 win, draw at HT, CP to deliver another rousing talk. Kerm and Morrow
  • 3-1 to the addicks, goals from Jackson,Bwp and Stephens in that order.
  • If we create as much as Saturday then I can't see anything but an away win...and a high scoring one at that. Someone is going to get a tonking before the season's out and I think it could be Chesterfield.
  • BWP definitely to score tomorrow. Maybe one, maybe two, possibly even a third to get his first hatrick of the season?
    would also be the first hat-trick of his career

Did not know this, come on then Bradley!!

• 1-0 to the reds, with a surprise goal for Chris Solly in the 89th minute.
  • Away win number 12
  • 2 1 to us BWP twice im sure he is gonna start scoring plenty with his confidence back.
  • Away win number 12
    I believe the record away wins we have ever had in a season was 12 under curbishley, correct me if I'm wrong, back in 2000/2001??

• Difficult as always but I think beating Stevenage at the weekend was a massive boost for everyone.