Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Lion - Shooters Hill

2»

Comments

• The Eagle always used to be a very busy little pub up until about ten years ago. Friday and Saturday night were always chocka. Can't remember the name of the guvnor but he worked really hard getting people though the door. Once he left it dropped like a stone.
    Roy and shirley

• Roy and Shirley. That's right. Thanks.
  • The We Anchor in Hope on the Welling side of Shooters Hill did used to be a good Courage pub. Too family and food orientated these days.
  • The seafood stall outside the red lion is quality . Garlic prawns hmmmm
  • Roy and Shirley ? might be wrong but i think they ran the "mad house" near Deptford Green in the early 80z. Great talent nights.

They left after he was glassed by a 12 yo girl sitting on the wall outside the gaff throwing stuff at the door !!

The local plod tried to make it their late night boozer untill some locals went out turned one of the cars on its roof !!

great place in those days/nights was Deptford although a frontier place in many ways.
  • Roy and Shirley ? might be wrong but i think they ran the "mad house" near Deptford Green in the early 80z. Great talent nights.

They left after he was glassed by a 12 yo girl sitting on the wall outside the gaff throwing stuff at the door !!

The local plod tried to make it their late night boozer untill some locals went out turned one of the cars on its roof !!

great place in those days/nights was Deptford although a frontier place in many ways.
    Was that the one "opposite" the original Albany (which got burnt down) ?
  • no mate it was in the back streets near St Nicholas Church
  • The original Albany was on the corner of Church Street & Evelyn Street/Top end of the High Street.
  • St Nicholas Church was next to the Power Station .The pub backed onto the mini cab office which is at the bottom end of Church St.
  • Thats it: The Albany was on the opposite corner to the cab office.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shag said:

The seafood stall outside the red lion is quality . Garlic prawns hmmmm

Chummys has gone! Well its not there at the moment? Anyone know if its gone for good?
  • Trying to think of where it was, but I saw the Chummys (of Folkestone) trailer somewhere else recently.
    It was outside another pub locally, but it escapes my mind at the mo which one.
  • Outside the Guy Earl of Warrick next to Welling United (saw it when I passed on the bus over the weekend) :)
  • Yep. That must be it.
    I remember passing comment to the Mrs in the car and knew I hadn't been too far this weekend. ..
  • He also has a place outside the Albion on the lower road.
  • TCE - glad I read this thread. The Guy is a bit too far for my jellied eels on a Sunday now that Chummy's has moved. The Albion is a lot closer but I don't usually go beyond the White Horse so wasn't aware. Chummy's told me that the Red Lion didn't renew the lease because he wanted them gone as it hid the pub!
  • There's a seafood stall outside the Forester's on Upper Wickham Lane, not sure if it's Chummy's or not though.
  • rikofold said:

There's a seafood stall outside the Forester's on Upper Wickham Lane, not sure if it's Chummy's or not though.

It's not Chummys but when I've used it I have found it very good. The guy running it is very enthusiastic and knows where his stock was fished.

• TCE - glad I read this thread. The Guy is a bit too far for my jellied eels on a Sunday now that Chummy's has moved. The Albion is a lot closer but I don't usually go beyond the White Horse so wasn't aware. Chummy's told me that the Red Lion didn't renew the lease because he wanted them gone as it hid the pub!

Thats correct landlord thought that the fish stall hid the pub thing is alot of people buying fish also popped in for a pint.

theres been a stall selling flowers and fruit and veg for the last week or so where chummys was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chummy's now doing a roaring trade outside The White Hart in Loose.