Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drought Official

No, not our strikers but the South East of England is now officially in a drought.

Discuss Blame Labour/Coalition/global warning/PC gone mad/Gary Megson/The Sun/Mayan Calender/etc/etc

Comments

• Options
    It's probably down to the lack of rainfall......
  • Options
    I blame Lewisham Council: Every drain in SE26 is blocked.
  • Options
    jus dilute what we have ....will go further
  • Options
    Comment on the BBC website explaining that as the North (with its excessive rainfall) is 'higher up' than the South wont water naturally follow the gradient and therefore no extensive pumping is required...?

Perhaps the reason for this and many other problems is that this kind of person is in a position of power and making the decisions?
  • Options
    Good. Hope it never rains again
  • Options
    Heard it's been raining TVs in your house!
  • Options
    I'm not bothered about climate change.
    I have a basement filled with bags of powdered water, and some dry ice in the loft somewhere.
  • Options
    It's just those types of clique jokes that put people off this site.

Just say sorry.

• Options
    always raining up here
  • Options

Just say sorry.

I'm sorry..........that you're not in the clique. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just say sorry.

I'm sorry..........that you're not in the clique. :-)
    I'm not

: - )

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Not been raining down here, for once.
    It makes a change not to be Soggy Red.

In the remote South West, we've got the most expensive water in Britain.
    And lots of it.

How much do you want to buy?

• Options
    Why are there lots of transvestites in AFKA's house? :-)
  • Options
    Not lots, just the one : - )

• Options
    edited February 2012
    so predictable it becomes boring

these are my thoughts and not some i've copied and pasted from another website:-

"Why has no-one ever even mentioned desalination?
    One plant bulit in the right place would be able to supply enough water not just to cover drought conditions, but would help put a stop to draining valuable natural habitats and the depletion of groundwater throughout the Sout East.

Funny how there has been no mention of the new housing and the lack of water infrastructure for the new housing. I thought there were pipes from the north of the country but reports say that there isn't any.

so why do we keep adding to the problem, by overdeveloping a drought area, and with no obvious means of increasing the water supply?

Always baffles me as to why places like Florida and Spain never seem to have issues like this?

All very predictable. I've noted how companies seem to be getting greedier as the economy gets worse. I've already been hit very hard by my electricity supplier, and have been duly waiting for the inevitable water rates rise. They are all at it right now and pretty soon I will be finished as a entity with finances. This is the pre-requisite that water companies have been waiting for".

• Options
    Plenty in the supermarkets.
  • Options
    Plenty in the supermarkets.

Not for long. Stock up now or else.
  • Options
    Call me a cynical old git if you like but before Christmas Southern Water were putting in water meters, whether you wanted them or not, like they were going out of fashion. My house is exhibit A.

I think Maconate is right that Southern Water and Thames will justify hefty rises and the government will be happy as they will take a cut via a stealth tax but call it climate change levy or something.

Working mugs like me and you will be even worse off.
  • Options
    We shouldn't need desalination. We have enough rainfall and mountain springs. What we don't have is a properly maintain water pipeine stystem. Just have a walk around London at the moment or listen to the travel news and hear how many burst watermain there are. There is one in Lewisham which has been throwing water over the road for over a week.

If we properly invested in the system and relaxed during the chaos of installation then the long-run would be much rosier.
  • Options
    Private joke Len. One of my little un's managed to push our tv off its stand yesterday, smashed everywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jus dilute what we have ....will go further
    I like this idea - we could use Budweiser "The King of Beers" (sic) for that.
  • Options
    so what's going to happen first?

a) hosepipe ban
    b) Greek default
    c) BWP scores a goal
    d) Torres scores a goal
    e) everyone likes Douglas Alexander
    f) Curbs gets a job
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Budweiser "The King of Beers" (sick)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Budweiser "The King of Beers" (sick)
    Salad I never said that --your cropping not good
  • Options
    Water, water, every where,
    Nor any drop to drink.
  • Options
    On a slightly different note...........we treat all water the same - whether we are going to drink it or wash the car with it. Somehow we need to filter (lol) the different types of water & only spend money treating water we are going to drink - and then we could maybe use rainwater etc for washing up etc.
  • Options
    How can there by a drought?
    Great Britian is an island and we are surrounded by the stuff.
    Bang on. Just pop down to the local seaside with a tanker and fill it up, then sell it back to the locals when the hosepipe ban hits. Job done.

Oh... wait...
  • Options
    Can't help but think de-salination has got to be the next big thing. If I had any money I'd invest in that field.
  • Options
    so what's going to happen first?

a) hosepipe ban
    b) Greek default
    c) BWP scores a goal
    d) Torres scores a goal
    e) everyone likes Douglas Alexander
    f) Curbs gets a job
    He's gonna get 3 Tues night!