Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Homophobia in football

Comments

• Options
    I genuinely think we are in danger of completely oppresing people at football through fear alone.
    Lets be honest we all know the difference between proper racist/gay abuse and humour.
    When its getting to the point where people are being nicked for singing "we can see you holding hands" at Brighton, then we are in danger of completley killing of the wit of a British football crowd (if we have not already done so).
    Matt Lucas was asked about that on the Justin documentary thing. He said it was funny and we should all stop being so serious and PC about it.
  • Options
    I genuinely think we are in danger of completely oppresing people at football through fear alone.
    Lets be honest we all know the difference between proper racist/gay abuse and humour.
    When its getting to the point where people are being nicked for singing "we can see you holding hands" at Brighton, then we are in danger of completley killing of the wit of a British football crowd (if we have not already done so).
    Matt Lucas was asked about that on the Justin documentary thing. He said it was funny and we should all stop being so serious and PC about it.
    Spot on with both these posts. I took a friend to the match last night who is French and a guy behind us in the East stand said something along the lines of "come on Yann get us 3 points.........even though you are French"

Hard to replicate on here but it sounded funny at the time and my French friend laughed as well, no offence taken.

• Options
    Exactly, there's a clear line between jokes and hate. Sometimes people like to shout about things not because they have a firm belief or understanding, but because they like to hear their own voice.

The last thing a gay person would want is people walking on eggshells cause of the fear that they might insult.
  • Options
    Exactly, there's a clear line between jokes and hate. Sometimes people like to shout about things not because they have a firm belief or understanding, but because they like to hear their own voice.

The last thing a gay person would want is people walking on eggshells cause of the fear that they might insult.

no it's not. It would be that thier curtains were horrible, thier shoes and bag didn't match and the quiche they'd baked was rubbish.
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    And you all wonder why no footballer will admit to being gay. Just read some of the shite rubbish you have posted above. This is the 21st century, I had hoped that your crude innuendos & nudge nudge wink wink jokes had died out long ago, but sadly it seems some of our fans are still living in the victorian era.

Gays do not all look like Larry Grayson or Fatima Whitbread. Next time you're at The Valley look around you, for all you know you could be the only "straight" in your row. Scary isn't it???
    agree with your first sentiment. Your second point is quite frankly outrageous.
    Actually not that outrageous my male cousin's boyfriend is a norwich fan, they are part of a group if 14 gay and lesbian couples and for his birthday last year they went to a Nordic game altogether with a meal and drinks included. Imagine there being fifteen seats in that row. Can't say he ever complained about stick from the norwich fans
    You misunderstand me Sadie. It's not outrageous that the whole row could be gay and only have one straight person in it. It's outrageous that it could be considered 'scary'.
    I think you're missing the point @suzisausage. Pretty sure @Dai_Jestive's 'scary' comment was a dig at the idiots on here making fun of homophobia and who need to start living in the 21st century. It's clear that he didn't mean its scary because there's lot's of gay men and women at football.
    Thank you Red Robin, that was my point exactly. I am gay and I have been a Charlton supporter for over 40 years. In a crowd of over 15,000 each week I can't be the only gay person.

And for Off_It's attention, I am new to the forum, hence if took me 7 months to post a comment.

• Options
    Stop worrying.....

"Call Me Dave" is gonna sort it all out !
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And you all wonder why no footballer will admit to being gay. Just read some of the shite rubbish you have posted above. This is the 21st century, I had hoped that your crude innuendos & nudge nudge wink wink jokes had died out long ago, but sadly it seems some of our fans are still living in the victorian era.

Gays do not all look like Larry Grayson or Fatima Whitbread. Next time you're at The Valley look around you, for all you know you could be the only "straight" in your row. Scary isn't it???
    Actually not that outrageous my male cousin's boyfriend is a norwich fan, they are part of a group if 14 gay and lesbian couples and for his birthday last year they went to a Nordic game altogether with a meal and drinks included. Imagine there being fifteen seats in that row. Can't say he ever complained about stick from the norwich fans
    You misunderstand me Sadie. It's not outrageous that the whole row could be gay and only have one straight person in it. It's outrageous that it could be considered 'scary'.
    I think you're missing the point @suzisausage. Pretty sure @Dai_Jestive's 'scary' comment was a dig at the idiots on here making fun of homophobia and who need to start living in the 21st century. It's clear that he didn't mean its scary because there's lot's of gay men and women at football.
    Thank you Red Robin, that was my point exactly. I am gay and I have been a Charlton supporter for over 40 years. In a crowd of over 15,000 each week I can't be the only gay person.

And for Off_It's attention, I am new to the forum, hence if took me 7 months to post a comment.

Hope it doesn't take another 7 months for your second post :-)
  • Options

Fair enough mate. Just thought it was a bit odd deciding to join a forum and then saying nothing for 7 months. But then I'm an over-opinionated twat!
  • Options
    Hardly a shock but Tom Daley has today "come out". As a pretty high profile sportsman I wonder if this will change any attitudes in football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The girlies will still love him though.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Hardly a shock but Tom Daley has today "come out". As a pretty high profile sportsman I wonder if this will change any attitudes in football?

Really? I can see his career taking a dive now.........
  • Options
    says he still fancies girls though so may be just experimenting before fully taking the plunge.
  • Options
    bless him
  • Options
    All the best looking guys are gay! Everyone knows that!!

That's why so many fit woman end up with ugly mugs like us lot on here!! ;o)
  • Options
    Fair play to him, the video is a testament to how hard it was for him to come out as Bi.
  • Options
    Like we never knew already.

Just waiting for Cliff Richard to come out now :-)
  • Options

Think you've got a long wait. C4 did a massive investigation on him and his lifestyle a few years ago. They could not even find a whiff of scandal. Sure he's odd but if anyone wanted to expose him as anything they would have done by now.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Think you've got a long wait. C4 did a massive investigation on him and his lifestyle a few years ago. They could not even find a whiff of scandal. Sure he's odd but if anyone wanted to expose him as anything they would have done by now.
    Well I may have some intel allegedly. Not for here though.
  • Options
    I thought Cliff was out now???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last night on the walk back up the hill, a chap in his twenties with a flat cap was yelling 'f****ts' and 'g*y boys' at a couple of Brighton fans in their 50/60s walking on the other side of the road. He was clearly very drunk but it's no excuse. 

I found it quite upsetting as I'm sure the Brighton fans did too. I can't help wondering what I should have done and I've thought about it lots since. Since I felt uncomfortable and did nothing, am I part of the problem? 

Totally understand it was one person that I saw doing this and I'm simply asking the question really - how do we stop this?
  • Options
    "we can see you holding hands" always made me laugh when I was younger
  • Options
    There was a “Does your boyfriend know your here” chant last night . Not for long and probably only a couple of dozen fans in the upper north but it happened and it made me cringe .  It’s absolutely pathetic 
    Also heard one guy shout, "That's why you play for Brighton you big poof" in the East Stand last night. It was only one guy but again, if everyone ignores it or tuts under their breath (like I did to be honest), where do we go from here?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    coming on a forum and telling everyone what you heard 2 out of 10,000 people saying - its not a big problem its dying out slowly. 

bit of a non event really. 

im sure some people only go to football to then complain about things 
  • Options
    There were some proper wallys there last night but always is at them type of games. Don’t let a very tiny amount of cocks ruin what was a quality evening.
  • Options
    There were some proper wallys there last night but always is at them type of games. Don’t let a very tiny amount of cocks ruin what was a quality evening.
    Massive cocks with tiny cocks
  • Options
    Last night on the walk back up the hill, a chap in his twenties with a flat cap was yelling 'f****ts' and 'g*y boys' at a couple of Brighton fans in their 50/60s walking on the other side of the road. He was clearly very drunk but it's no excuse. 

I found it quite upsetting as I'm sure the Brighton fans did too. I can't help wondering what I should have done and I've thought about it lots since. Since I felt uncomfortable and did nothing, am I part of the problem? 

Totally understand it was one person that I saw doing this and I'm simply asking the question really - how do we stop this?
    What you have done if if the guy was throwing broken bottles at the Brighton supporters? Probably the same?