Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Falklands

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Tricky situation which, unsurprisingly, has reared its head following the discovery of oil reserves. According to that 'Scotch' bloke from Big Brother (shall I be the cat?) - George something, the global consensus was that expressed by Sean Penn of all people. Basically, the Falklands ARE actually Las Malvinas and should be handed back to Argentina. The obvious problem being the locals, who similarly to the Northern Ireland protestant population consider themselves 100% British and therefore don't wish to fall under Argentine rule. Personallly, I think it'd be alright to be Argentine and can't see why they would complain (if indeed they are - haven't seen or heard them complaining). What do you lot think?

Comments

• I think this thread wont last too long...
  • This thread won't last long.

1st question do you live in the Falklands or have family their?
    If not keep your stupid comments like "I think it'd be alright to be Argentine" or "can't see why they would complain" to yourself you f#cking idiot.
  • If america is handed back to the red indians then we will give the falklands back. Until then we should keep hold of it.
  • The Falklands is ours. End of. Nothing to see here.
  • Sean penn is right and land owned by another country 250 - 300 years ago should be handed back to it and the U.S. should hand back to Great Britain all the land in North America it used to own and we could give the Falkand Islanders say Virginia in compensation
  • edited February 2012
    Ive been to the Falklands, wont happen, not for discussion and even less likely now, it would be lovely to all love each over share things equally (a bit like us and Trammere) and get on but lifes not like that. Even when it was Argentine land no-one lived there, sabre rattling as the current Argentine government is struggling domestically and this is a vote winner/job saver plus our forces are a little stretched
  • All property is theft.
  • This thread won't last long.

If not keep your stupid comments like "I think it'd be alright to be Argentine" or "can't see why they would complain" to yourself you f#cking idiot.
    Blimey! Bit strong. I think it will be your over-reaction, not to mention an undercurrent of xenophobia towards the nation in question, that will get this thread closed.

Anyone more sensible care to contribute?

• Anyone more sensible care to contribute?

I popped my cherry the last time Argentina invaded the Falklands.........
  • edited February 2012
    The daily Telegraph got it right about Penn... "Once he returns his Malibu estate to the Mexicans."
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    I'm with letthegoodtimesroll & Karim_myBagheri
  • edited February 2012
    How about just answering the question before accusing me of anything.

Or better still find out the facts before posting crap.
  • Self determination for the islanders. Really nothing to discuss.
  • No interest in the politics, but can recomend some great books on the last conflict: "The Red and Green Life Machine" by Captain Rick Jolly (RN Surgeon); and "Don't Cry for Me Seargeant Major" by Jeremy Hands (RIP) and Rob McGowan. Some of what happened is the stuff of legends. Really brave men of the RMs and Paras. I dare say there were plenty on the Argies side too.
  • edited February 2012
    Served there.
    Let the inhabitants decide.
    OP's opinion irrelevant.
    EA - you didnt mention the Gurkhas - mentioned in both books you reference.
    No references of great bravery on the Argentine side, even in the Argentininan accounts.

BTW Argentina is one of the best countries to be in the world - great people.
  • Served there.
    OP's opinion irrelevant.
    Just to clarify; I haven't expressed my opinion about the fate of the Islands, or islanders. I was paraphrasing others. I'm undecided, which is why I thought I'd open the debate.

The Argentine president is referring to UN resolution which apparently calls on the UK to open a dialogue on the matter. I have searched for it but can't find it. Does anyone know what she's referring to?

It seems to me that the UK will inevitably play the self-determination card as the islanders are unquestionably British. However the Argentinian claim doesn't directly involve the national identity of the people, more the land and therefore the resources.

• You haven't expressed an opinion?

So "the problem being the locals"

"Personallly, I think it'd be alright to be Argentine and can't see why they would complain"

What would you call those statements?
  • Self Determination, the falklanders want to be british so it should stay british. If that were to change, then it would change, but at the moment that looks like it wont happen.
  • Nothing but hypocracy from Argentina.

Nothing but self determination from The Falklanders.
  • edited February 2012
    Served there.
    OP's opinion irrelevant.
    Just to clarify; I haven't expressed my opinion about the fate of the Islands, or islanders. I was paraphrasing others. I'm undecided, which is why I thought I'd open the debate.

The Argentine president is referring to UN resolution which apparently calls on the UK to open a dialogue on the matter. I have searched for it but can't find it. Does anyone know what she's referring to?

It seems to me that the UK will inevitably play the self-determination card as the islanders are unquestionably British. However the Argentinian claim doesn't directly involve the national identity of the people, more the land and therefore the resources.

It certainly reads like you have made up your mind. If that opinion is right or wrong is another thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spent 4 months there in 92. Loved the place personally (esp the R.I.C Bar). I feel for the locals as they are caught in the middle (again) of a political arm-wrestle.

Let's face it, our govt doesn't (and never has) given a flying f**k about the locals. It's all about the oil/fishing rights and a handy place for a base in times of war.
    Argentina are in the midst of an election so what better than to divert the attention towards another nation?

Iraq invaded Kuwait and the mighty force of the U.S stepped in to help out to dish out good ol american justice. Back in 82, what did the yanks do when the Argies invaded that defenceless little island? NOTHING. I suspect that if it were to kick off again, their involvement (and the rest of the U.N) will be the same.

• The main difference is that the Argentines know we bite.

Always have done, always will.
  • Not really bothered but any escalation of the current situation by either side will just be a complete disaster and extremely depressing.
  • edited February 2012
    Falklands are British. The Falkanders want to remain British therefore we should do everything in our power to prevent British land being forcefily occupied.
  • Self determination from the islanders.
    Then if they stay British but the troubles continue... Well I'm not sure. I'd rather not see another war.
    Can't we give them Wigan or Milton Keynes instead?
  • Sean Penn! A fooking plastic paddy - wtf is he doing meddling in all this?
  • Its the Falklands countrymen Isles. If they want to be be British than we should and we shall defend them. If the Population want to be Argentine then let them be Argentine. Sign me up if they want to have a pop.
  • RobRob
    edited February 2012
    This thread won't last long.

I was surprised to read the vitriol in this comment. Why the agression? Likely to provoke more of an argument than a debate in my opinion.

• Perhaps if Ashtray explained his position of why he thinks `it'd be alright to be Argentine' and `can't see why they would complain' ?
    personally i think he's very naive or trolling.