Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alcoholic infusions

2»

Comments

• First batch of blackberry brandy made today. Will take about three months. Now patiently waiting for sloe season
  • What's your recipe, @McBobbin?
    It sounds lovely.
  • Blackberries already out?
  • Blackberries already out?

There have been quite a few early ones in my garden.
  • IdleHans said:

What's your recipe, @McBobbin?
    It sounds lovely.

This one:

Our blackberry brandy recipe
    For every 70cl bottle of brandy you’ll need about 320g of blackberries and 160g of sugar. I’m happy to use the cheapest booze I can find – the brandy I bought yesterday was so cheap it came in a plastic bottle.

Put all ingredients into clean, sterilised jars with tight fitting lids and shake. Continue to agitate every day or two for a few weeks before reducing the shake frequency to weekly until you’re ready to strain and bottle. Ideally this would be after three months but it will taste perfectly acceptable a few weeks earlier. As with all fruit liqueurs, the bottled drink will continue to improve with age.

Sounds good anyway! I scaled it up for a litre.

And yep, quite a few blackberries already out. Looks like it might be a bumper long season round me. Not sure what else I can do with them. crumble perhaps.
  • PopIcon said:

Blackberries already out?

There have been quite a few early ones in my garden.
    Will have to take a look then! My four year old can't wait to pick them, and I'm looking forward to the blackberry whiskey!
  • McBobbin said:

IdleHans said:

What's your recipe, @McBobbin?
    It sounds lovely.

This one:

Our blackberry brandy recipe
    For every 70cl bottle of brandy you’ll need about 320g of blackberries and 160g of sugar. I’m happy to use the cheapest booze I can find – the brandy I bought yesterday was so cheap it came in a plastic bottle.

Put all ingredients into clean, sterilised jars with tight fitting lids and shake. Continue to agitate every day or two for a few weeks before reducing the shake frequency to weekly until you’re ready to strain and bottle. Ideally this would be after three months but it will taste perfectly acceptable a few weeks earlier. As with all fruit liqueurs, the bottled drink will continue to improve with age.

Sounds good anyway! I scaled it up for a litre.

And yep, quite a few blackberries already out. Looks like it might be a bumper long season round me. Not sure what else I can do with them. crumble perhaps.
    This is very simple and great with blackberries instead of raspberries:

athriftymrs.com/2011/07/apple-and-raspberry-heaven-cake.html
  • My blackberry brandy has matured... Currently filtering it into the bottle. Very, very nice indeed. Just the right amount of sugar in it.

I ate one of the berries and it nearly killed me. Blew my head off. Think I'll keep them.
  • Bought some green ginger wine going cheap in Aldi's today and infused it with some whisky I found in the cupboard. Very nice, and instant, winter warmer.

• Just made some orange and rosemary infused gin. It really is top notch with tonic