Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Zambia

I've watched a grand total of 6 minutes of the ANC but any team that has a manager who is a walking shampoo advert, and whose subs sing in the dugout are deserved winners !

Comments

• Options
    And whose winning penalty taker is singing. An amazing story. For them to win in Libreville where their team of 93 perished is as close to destiny as you can get.
  • Options
    And the keeper taking the 5th pen. Ridiculous, I love the ACN
  • Options
    Having too much time on my hands, I have watched a fair amount of this tournament.
    The manager does beautiful things to your head.
    He has a firm hold, full body and lasts for hours.
  • Options
    absolutely fantastic. i actually put £100 on ivory coast (so i am gutted about that), but as the game went on i really wanted zambia to win.

always root for the underdogs in any competition and with what happened in 93 made this victory even better. looking at the celebrations at the end really shows you what it means to some people to play for their country.
  • Options
    It is things like this that make all of us love football. It is the essence of what this sport is about. However there will be more people talking about the big controversy in Manchester yesterday than this fantastic story.
  • Options
    Amazing story, makes you love football for stories like this.

Well done to those players, took on some of the best players who play in the strongest league in the world and came out on top.
  • Options
    Congratulations Zambia. I haven't watched any of the tournament apart from the shoot out itself but i must admit i was chuffed for them. Not until it becomes a 4 yearly tournament will the African Nations get the respect it arguably deserves.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Exeter & Zambia have made my footballing w/e!

Lived in Zambia for a year and saw them play at their national Stadium, where the members of the 1993 team are buried. Great moment for a wonderful country. Hope they can push on and qualify for w/cup.
  • Options
    I watched the pens from 7-7 and could not believe it when arsenal striker gervinho stepped up to take and miss Ivory Coasts 9th, yes ninth, penalty ! Could he hide anymore , pathetic
    Take it all back if he was injured but 9th ffs
  • Options
    My brother was born in Ndola, his mother was a zambian national, he is over the moon, to say the least!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My brother was born in Ndola, his mother was a zambian national, he is over the moon, to say the least!
    A brother from another mother. ;-)
  • Options
    As always beaten to it. Great post to see, and great to see Zambia winning almost twenty years after the plane crash. More should be said about this in the media.
  • Options
    I was channel hopping last night and stumbled across the last 10 mins of extra time and of course the penalty shoot out on a plus 1 channel.

Looks like I could not have picked a better time to start watching, subs singing, dancing and praying every time a pen was taken and a Simon Jordan look-alike for a manager.

What was that penalty spot all about??? it moved more than the goal keepers every time a kick was taken.

Well done to Zambia though cos I dislike Drogba and it was good to see him lose.
  • Options
    Quite funny that Drogba has now twice missed probable match winning penalties in ACN finals (2006, 2012)!

dd that to the fact he probably wouold have taken John Terry's missed penalty in the 2008 Champion's League final if he hadn't have slapped Vidic and you could argue he's cost his country two ANCs and his club a Champs Lge.
  • Options
    Quite funny that Drogba has now twice missed probable match winning penalties in ACN finals (2006, 2012)!

dd that to the fact he probably wouold have taken John Terry's missed penalty in the 2008 Champion's League final if he hadn't have slapped Vidic and you could argue he's cost his country two ANCs and his club a Champs Lge.
    Drogba scored the pen he took last night?
  • Options

Drogba scored the pen he took last night?
    He missed one in the match itself - in normal time. Skied it way over the bar....
  • Options

isint he also the doctor from embrassing boddies on ch4?
  • Options
    Great win for Zambia. My youngest daughter's partner is from Zambia and his dad has just died, so this helped in a little way, as his dad would have been very proud. Good to see the Ivory Coast 'stars' get beaten too! Drogba's penalty miss was a classic!