Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Netflix

Recall on here some folk biggin it up on a thread i cant find.

Thinking of signing up but just want some info as reading the website it seems too good to be true. Gonna get the free months trial and it says after that it is £5.99 a month for unlimited films/ tv shows and no cancellation fee.

Had a browse of the sort of stuff that they have on there and looks good but is the library quite limited as there didnt seem to be that much under each section?

Or is this because you need to sign up to browse the whole library of films on offer?

Cheers

Comments

• With our region, many of the films are dubbed in Spanish for the Latin American audience. If you get a VPN with a wide range of host countries (like HideMyAss) then Netflix will show you the films/tv show available in other regions. Obviously, the US has the most selection. Having access to the US Netflix makes it much more appealing.
  • need to make sure your broadband has sufficient bandwidth -eg. if iPlayer sometimes freezes, as it does for me, then I guess Netflix probably won't be reliable.
  • edited February 2012
    Cheers for the advice chaps. Would be doing it through the XBox. Might take up the free trial and see what's what.
  • If you sign up for the trial via Quidco you can get £15 as well.

http://www.quidco.com/netflix/
  • oooh, glad someone has brought this up. I signed up last week and have been streaming through my xBox. I've got a BT Inifinity line and my download speed is fairly constant at 40mb. My BT Home hub is N-rated so I guess I'd fit into the higher end of the technical requirements to run the service.

I've watched 3 films, all in "HD" quality.

First film, streaming was ok, quality was variable to say the least...really blocky at various points then was close to HD. Really annoying. Then the Xbox Live connection kept dropping and I was logged out 3 times during the last 30 mins of the film. Thats not on. After the first time, I ran a check on the line and the internet connection wasnt interupted at all, so this shouldnt of happened.

Second film, it worked like a dream. HD quality throughout, streaming was good, no drops in service.

Third film last night, the Xbox live connection dropped three times in the first 10 mins. Extremely frustrating and gave up. Walked 200 yards down the road to Blockbuster and hired the bloody blu-ray.

So all in all, not impressed. Far too unreliable and thats with a bloody good internet connection.
    If you've got a normal, lower end broadband connection, I wouldnt bother for the time being.

As for film selection, its comparable to Love Film.

Have access to a Love Film account too. I've got a Sony TV connected to my network and I'm able to watch Love Film films through it without going via the PC or Xbox. The film selection is extremely limited on the TV but the selection is better when watching on a PC. To me, that really disappoints. I dont want to have to watch a film on my laptop when it can stream just as easy to my TV. I'd say the Netflix film selection is a little better than what Love Film offers me through the TV. But then when you look at the Love Film online streaming for the laptop, then Love FIlm is slightly better.

If you follow all that, good luck lol.
  • I have the free trial and didn't think much of the selection. Watched some of The Thick of IT and IT Crowd but in terms of films there isn't much I want to watch on there.
    As RCT asked is there a bigger selection once your paid up?
  • Lovefilm is better.
  • Lovefilm is better.
    Yeh I have used that on someone elses TV and it did seem alot better.
  • With our region, many of the films are dubbed in Spanish for the Latin American audience. If you get a VPN with a wide range of host countries (like HideMyAss) then Netflix will show you the films/tv show available in other regions. Obviously, the US has the most selection. Having access to the US Netflix makes it much more appealing.
    I find Astrill to be a pretty awesome VPN.
  • We've done a lot of research on our rivals at work, and Netflix is probably the best service, but with the 'worst' content. At least until they sign some more deals with the studios. The fact that they are willing to fund a new series of Arrested Development is a sign of their intentions to become a player in production too.

I've used it online, on XB and on iPad, and I'm really impressed with the "continue watching" function which lets you pick up where you paused on a show, even if on a different platform. Otherwise, functionality across the different businesses is very similar.

Lovefilm have a better movie selection (not sure about TV shows), but their website/ apps are clunky. Presumably the imminent new CEO will push the business in the direction of online as opposed to the postal service, which is going to look ridiculous as an option in the next couple of years.

Sky Movies has the best selection of new movies, but a smaller library of old titles, although it's slightly more expensive. They have a new, non-subscription, pay-as-you-play movie site coming in the summer though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovefilm us far superior if it's films your after .
  • I like the postal service on love film!

Use streaming also.
  • Have to say I wasn't that impressed with the Lovefilm online catalogue but its probably just because I've seen most of them already. I got the Netflix free trial a few weeks ago and I've been enjoying the documentaries and tv shows. Somehow I managed to miss Firefly first time round.

Also if you look around on certain websites I'm told that there are ways and means to access the US Netflix catalogue through a British account, not sure I can tell you this where you would be able to find such information but I'm sure people know how to search for things themselves
  • Thanks for the advice, enlightening reading.
  • Signing up to Netflix was a chore. Hard to figure out how to do it without Facebook. Eventually I gave up, and signed in using Facebook anyway.

As soon as I watched anything, it was on my Facebook wall. A member of my team the next day said " you were up late watching Peep Show last night!"

I immediately disconnected my Netflix from Facebook.

A month later, it reconnected. With no help from me. This morning, I sat at my desk, and watched South Park while I did one of my more mundane jobs. Lo and behold, my colleagues browsing Facebook immediately noticed. Netflix had told them what I was doing. So I tried to delete the post on my wall. It won't delete. I tried hiding it, blocking it, reporting it as spam - it won't work. It's still there. Netflix customer service talked me through how to disconnect their system from Facebook, but claimed it must have been me that reconnected it. It wasn't. Maybe my girlfriend? "No." - "maybe you should have a chat with her anyway, make it clear she can't touch your Facebook?"

I really don't need to have that conversation.

Screw Netflix - their obsession with Facebook just cost them a customer!
  • Why won't Netflix let me use their site? I live in France but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to access their content if I'm willing to watch everything in English.
  • I use netflix through xbox. Watched all 4 series of prison break and half way through season 2 dexter (how have I missed this?) And 68 episodes of south park which my Facebook reminds everyone

I find its worth getting if you're a bit of a box set fan as they're online and £7 a month is much cheaper than £15 a dvd. Wouldn't recommend for movie buffs as selection is... poor. East is east and the expendables are not flagship films and prefer to watch movies on sky player
  • Why won't Netflix let me use their site? I live in France but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to access their content if I'm willing to watch everything in English.
    Content rights, old chap!

Netflix can only launch services on a country-by-country basis because that's how content providers insist on selling their content.

Netflix is currently on a big expansion pathway and have launched in Canada, parts of Latin America and other territories and are looking at Asia Pacific next.

Does not change the fact though that Netflix - as a company - is totally screwed and won't be around in about 3-5 years, or at the very least will look totally different.
  • edited December 2018
    Watched Johnny Depp play in Secret Window last night. Okay film with a twist

Netflix can only launch services on a country-by-country basis because that's how content providers insist on selling their content.

Netflix is currently on a big expansion pathway and have launched in Canada, parts of Latin America and other territories and are looking at Asia Pacific next.

Does not change the fact though that Netflix - as a company - is totally screwed and won't be around in about 3-5 years, or at the very least will look totally different.

That was a bold prediction
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Bird box last night, very decent for a Netflix production.
  • Interesting reading the Lovefilm comments. Just shows how quickly things have moved in just 6 years.

Got Netflix just before Xmas and have been hugely excited in seeing the range of films / programmes I’m never likely to get the actual screen time to watch!

That was a bold prediction

I think you are spot on with your prediction. Looking back from the start of the thread, 6 years ago, the world has moved on a fair bit. Back then Lovefilm was a company, now I doubt most wouldn’t even remember the name. And internet speeds were generally hit and miss.
  • buckshee said:

Watched Bird box last night, very decent for a Netflix production.

Think we're giving that a go tonight
  • buckshee said:

thought it was shit personally. Had a lot of promise but then nothing really happens.
  • buckshee said:

thought it was shit personally. Had a lot of promise but then nothing really happens.

The Happening
    all over again
  • Bojack horseman, narcos, first couple of seasons of house of cards and making a murderer, all amazing Netflix original productions that are well worth your time to watch.

They’ve got countless comedy specials on there too, which is how they’re future proofing themselves (by having the biggest collections of comedy specials in television)
  • buckshee said:

Agreed. However the ending (no spoilers) wasn’t the surprise I think they expected it to be.
    Me and Ladyromford were asking that question pretty much at the beginning of the film.
  • If you pay for netflix and don't pay for a decent VPN, you're not getting the most out of your money, being able to access everything they have, is pretty amazing
  • Be interesting to see how they cope with the competition from Apple and Disney. I hope these 2 coming into the market doesn't water everything down so much that people find themselves returning to illegal streaming.