Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Piers Morgan

Comments

• DFR, he was working for the Mirror at the time I believe?
  • DFR, he was working for the Mirror at the time I believe?

Agree - the Mirror is'nt Murdoch, that was Captain Bob, but he was long gone when the pix were published i believe.

• they werein the Daily Mirror
  • Sorry Mirror - dur. I'm all consumed with hating everything Murdoch that I forget they are not the only people in the world. I accept that my post probably lacks gravitas now!
  • edited January 2013
    Rizzo said:

rikofold said:

I'm sure even Charles Heston would rather be faced with a fist than a loaded gun in the hands of someone who wanted to kill him.

I assume you mean Charlton Heston? Easy name to forget on these boards :)

Anyhoo, apart from Mr Heston being dead, and therefore unlikely to be killed by anyone with anything, I agree with what you have said.

I am hanging my head in shame. And yes he's been dead for 5 years. Damn you all. If only Rodney Trotter was the NRA president...
  • Piers Morgan is an arrogant twat that does not know his place in life.

At least he is trying to tackle a big problem in the U.S that sounds like a very tough nut to crack.
  • rikofold said:

Rizzo said:

rikofold said:

I'm sure even Charles Heston would rather be faced with a fist than a loaded gun in the hands of someone who wanted to kill him.

Anyhoo, apart from Mr Heston being dead, and therefore unlikely to be killed by anyone with anything, I agree with what you have said.

I am hanging my head in shame. And yes he's been dead for 5 years. Damn you all. If only Rodney Trotter was the NRA president...
    If it's any consolation, Charlton wasn't his real name but Charles was his real middle name. He's still a dead arsehole though and yes, I would happily pry his guns from his cold, dead hands.

• cafcvfr said:

Alex Jones' intellectual arguments consisted of 'fight me' and mocking Morgan's accent. Great.

What was a little worrying is that the ranting irrational Jones has access to guns.

• Is Alex Jones that loud mouth American shock jock?
  • cafcvfr said:

Alex Jones' intellectual arguments consisted of 'fight me' and mocking Morgan's accent. Great.

What was a little worrying is that the ranting irrational Jones has access to guns.

A lot of guns. Why the hell does anyone other than an army need 50 guns? That guy is a nutjob and is Exhibit A in the argument for gun control. Sadly, he seems to have millions of people who follow him and value is opinions.

• Sponsored links:

• ....or is he the one that sang that Snowman Song?
  • BIG_ROB said:

....or is he the one that sang that Snowman Song?

He's changed a bit since his time on the One Show:

• Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

....or is he the one that sang that Snowman Song?

He's changed a bit since his time on the One Show:

I'd dip him!
  • Piers Morgan is wasting his time. There is no way he is going to change the USA gun laws, it will not happen, what could happen to him is that some loon will put a cap in his middle class British ass! Bro.

The US love their guns, also the argument regarding fully auto guns not being allowed is irrelevant, most good shooters can get 30 rounds out of a semi auto in ten seconds or less, but much more accurately. I've shot fully auto sub machine guns, they are bastards to hold onto. Semi autos are easier to control and are more accurate. As I said on a previous thread there is no reason to own a fully auto assault rifle, but they do and that will not change in the short term. Even if it does it will not stop these mass killings, but the way they deal with mental health issues in the States may stop some of these mass killings.

Playing devils advocate for a moment
    Why own 50 guns? They see guns as things of beauty! I know, but they do. So they collect them as well as shoot them. Their kids go to shooting parties, a bit like a bowling party or football party in the UK. They have prizes for best shot etc.
    To most people in the UK this is abhorrent, to them its normal.
    There is very very few instances of 'road rage' because in a lot of States it is illegal to open someones car door to have a go at them, it is within their rights to shoot you, the same goes for bar fights, very rare, because they don't know if the other person has a gun. Crazy to you and I but when they look at the Uk and the fact we get arrested for defending ourselves they say we are crazy.
    And the above are just some of the reasons why it will not change. And I've not even mentioned the multi billion dollar industry that guns and shooting has become, coupled with the fact that no US politician is going to lose votes siding with any anti gun lobby.
    In the Uk our gun laws are spot on and just, and as such the only thing we have is a great safety record and the moral high ground. I wouldn't swap it for the USA laws and for that we should be thankful.

Let them get on with it.
  • Rizzo said:

rikofold said:

Rizzo said:

rikofold said:

If it's any consolation, Charlton wasn't his real name but Charles was his real middle name. He's still a dead arsehole though and yes, I would happily pry his guns from his cold, dead hands.

He always asked me to call him Charles
  • Greenie said:

Piers Morgan is wasting his time. There is no way he is going to change the USA gun laws, it will not happen, what could happen to him is that some loon will put a cap in his middle class British ass! Bro.

The US love their guns, also the argument regarding fully auto guns not being allowed is irrelevant, most good shooters can get 30 rounds out of a semi auto in ten seconds or less, but much more accurately. I've shot fully auto sub machine guns, they are bastards to hold onto. Semi autos are easier to control and are more accurate. As I said on a previous thread there is no reason to own a fully auto assault rifle, but they do and that will not change in the short term. Even if it does it will not stop these mass killings, but the way they deal with mental health issues in the States may stop some of these mass killings.

Playing devils advocate for a moment
    Why own 50 guns? They see guns as things of beauty! I know, but they do. So they collect them as well as shoot them. Their kids go to shooting parties, a bit like a bowling party or football party in the UK. They have prizes for best shot etc.
    To most people in the UK this is abhorrent, to them its normal.
    There is very very few instances of 'road rage' because in a lot of States it is illegal to open someones car door to have a go at them, it is within their rights to shoot you, the same goes for bar fights, very rare, because they don't know if the other person has a gun. Crazy to you and I but when they look at the Uk and the fact we get arrested for defending ourselves they say we are crazy.
    And the above are just some of the reasons why it will not change. And I've not even mentioned the multi billion dollar industry that guns and shooting has become, coupled with the fact that no US politician is going to lose votes siding with any anti gun lobby.
    In the Uk our gun laws are spot on and just, and as such the only thing we have is a great safety record and the moral high ground. I wouldn't swap it for the USA laws and for that we should be thankful.

Let them get on with it.

Good post.
    Although no reason to own a car that goes faster than 80mph either but we all do.

• I would hate it if an american equivalent was on TV every night slagging off one of our oldest laws/traditions. If you look at percentages then the majority of gun crimes are committed by guns that are owned illegally. But I'm sure if you outlaw them then they'll be really hard to buy,just like drugs are... The man is prat,and should not be allowed in the public eye
  • Croydon said:

I would hate it if an american equivalent was on TV every night slagging off one of our oldest laws/traditions. If you look at percentages then the majority of gun crimes are committed by guns that are owned illegally. But I'm sure if you outlaw them then they'll be really hard to buy,just like drugs are... The man is prat,and should not be allowed in the public eye

There's a fair few old laws and traditions in this country that deserver a good slagging. Most of them don't kill 11,000+ people a year though.

• "Their kids go to shooting parties, a bit like a bowling party or football party in the UK. They have prizes for best shot etc.
    To most people in the UK this is abhorrent, to them its normal."

When I ran a scout group we often took them to shooting parties. Admittedly they shot caps which would do nothing more than give you a nasty bruise but if it looks like a gun and shoots like a gun....
    We always gave prizes for the best shot and they took their shot up targets home to their parents afterwards. Never had a single complaint.
  • Despite coming accross as a rambling idiot, Jones makes one or two decent points. The 2nd amendment is there almost as a principle, to give the population protection against their own government. This has become pretty irrelevant now however as the army and the government have access to nuclear weapons, jet planes, tanks etc, but the principle still remains. It's like if some one said to get rid of the monarchy, there would be an outcry, the monarch in a constitutional monarchy is there to protect the people, a lot like the US have guns.

It's just a different culture, it's a shame that the media in the states rewards those who shout the loudest rather than has the best argument.
  • Sponsored links:

• DRF said:

"Their kids go to shooting parties, a bit like a bowling party or football party in the UK. They have prizes for best shot etc.
    To most people in the UK this is abhorrent, to them its normal."

When I ran a scout group we often took them to shooting parties. Admittedly they shot caps which would do nothing more than give you a nasty bruise but if it looks like a gun and shoots like a gun....
    We always gave prizes for the best shot and they took their shot up targets home to their parents afterwards. Never had a single complaint.

You wont get a complaint, tell the parents that their little Johnny his squirting off a 30 round mag of high velocity rounds from an M16 at 850 rounds a minute then you would have.
  • Interestingly not one parent ever asked what sort of gun little Johnny was firing.
  • It's like if some one said to get rid of the monarchy, there would be an outcry, the monarch in a constitutional monarchy is there to protect the people,

To paraphrase Rizzo, they don't kill 11'000+ people a year though...
  • It's like if some one said to get rid of the monarchy, there would be an outcry, the monarch in a constitutional monarchy is there to protect the people,

Neither do firearms, in the US, there was 8500 gun related homicides in 2011 (not 11000 as Morgan keeps saying), 1000 of them were justified.
  • edited January 2013
    In the United States, annual firearm homicides total

2010: 11,078
    2009: 11,493
    2008: 12,179
    2007: 12,632
    2006: 12,791
    2005: 12,352
    2004: 11,624
    2003: 11,920
    2002: 11,829
    2001: 11,348
    2000: 10,801
    1999: 10,828
    1998: 9,257

Figures from gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
  • BIG_ROB said:

It's like if some one said to get rid of the monarchy, there would be an outcry, the monarch in a constitutional monarchy is there to protect the people,

Neither do firearms, in the US, there was 8500 gun related homicides in 2011 (not 11000 as Morgan keeps saying), 1000 of them were justified.
    Justified?
  • yes they were all Democrates DRF
  • edited January 2013
    DRF said:

BIG_ROB said:

It's like if some one said to get rid of the monarchy, there would be an outcry, the monarch in a constitutional monarchy is there to protect the people,

Justified?
    Commited by law enforcement...and there were a couple of Democrates ; )
  • Interesting clip Rob, assuming all the stats are correct it does show that maybe us brits should not be so quick to throw stones.