Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager?

Talk of trouble at FA headquaters in soho square, Cappello fumming over the John Terry captain issue, lets just say he was to walk, who really could be the next England manager and take us into the euros full of confidence and pride? If old Arry gets done for his tax he will never be allowed to be the England boss so who is left? Whisper it around these parts but even old ex boss of ours has apparently been earmarked for an interview at least, Pards for england.. surely not so who else would a) take the job and b)the fans want. Im thinking of having a little punt of Chris Powell being the first Black england manager but not for sometime yet and think the odds would be pretty long so worth a cheeky fiver.

Comments

• Options
    adam old son...there's a new career waiting for you at Sun Newspapers......call them today!
  • Options
    Holloway
  • Options
    I struggle to associate with a lot of the recent crop of England players, but if Pardew got the job I think I would then have zero interest in the England team for a couple of years.

I'm not a hater, and hate very few people, but I make an exception with Pardew.

Hope Harry gets it regardless.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It would be Trevor Brooking. If the situation described above occurred it would be a stop-gap appointment like they did before with Howard Wilkinson. Brooking is an FA man through and though and has as much knowledege of football as anyone.
  • Options
    Les Reed!
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce.
  • Options
    Stuart peace would prob be a candidate.

There is no obvious choice.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure. There is a serious lack of people who could actually take the team forward.
  • Options
    Actually, I could do it.
  • Options
    Holloway
    Yup, thats where Harry will be, but he would still get my vote.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I said a couple of months ago, I'll be very surprised if this isnt Harry's last season in charge at Spurs no matter what the verdict of his court case.
    If found not guilty, I expect him to be the next England Manager. If found guilty, the FA are going to have a tough old job on their hands.

Despite the FA saying they want the next manager to be English, can they honestly say that any English candidate would be good enough?

As an outside bet, what about Ars*ne Wenger? Hate the bloke with a passion but you cant deny what he's done for Ars*nal over the last decade. Ok, they're struggling a bit at the moment but he'd at least get the team playing football the way its supposed to be played. Unlike the football you'd have to watch under the likes of Pardew or Hodgson.

• Options
    Mourinho?
  • Options
    Wenger has stated in the past he would never manage England. Wouldn't be surprised to see him manage the French side after 2012 though.
  • Options
    Must admit it does seem grim reading for an England manager.
    It did flash across my mind for a second our very own 'Chris', but he needs a couple of seasons in the championship to be considered.
    Harry seems to divide everybody, and with the court case fresh in peoples mind, and his health cannot see him being considered as a serious candidate.
    Pardew: well not for me, but has to be a candidate, people have short memories in football.
    Curbs: Been out the game too long.
    Moyes: A lot of people admire what he has done, but not for me again.
    O'Neal: My bet
  • Options
    Don't think the odds on powelly being first black manager would be very high, who else is there????
    Probably an odds on bet.
  • Options
    Mourinho?
    That's what I was thinking. I would prefer an Englishman to manage England but wouldn't have many complaints of mourinho got the job.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Mourinho won't want it.

It'll be whoever is flavour of the month - Keegan before, McLaren 6 years ago because Boro had a flukey UEFA Cup, Uncle Roy two years ago when Fulham got to the final of the Europa League, Harry recently, suddenly Pardew. They don't tend to look at a record over time very often.

Big picture I think Hodgson or O'Neill would be good choices, if Redknapp doesn't become a shoo-in (also think he'd do a decent job).
  • Options
    Would love Harry Redknapp to get it.

Should be an Englishman.
  • Options
    What about Hodgson?
  • Options
    On another note, if I was Redknapp I'd possibly rather stay at Spurs - think being a wheeler dealer club manager looks more interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mourinho is the only foreign manager that I would entertain the idea of. It would be a great appointment if he would want it and his relationship with the British press is a good one too which is always a good thing if your an England manager . Can't see him wanting it though .
  • Options
    Rightly or wrongly I think it will be Stuart Pearce.

When Capello was handed the reins back in 2007 I thought the FA gave him instructions to groom an England manager of the future which is why we saw Pearce included as part of his coaching staff along with his under 21 role.

Personally I think Pearce is tactically inept as his brief spells of club management proved but wouldn’t be surprised if the FA go down this route
  • Options
    Can only be given to Bexley Dan.
  • Options
    I can never see the issue with having a foreign manager - rather a good foreign one than an average English one, and they can bring in new ideas at times.

Erikssen was a mile better than Keegan or McLaren, for example, Trapattoni is doing a lot better with Ireland than Kerr....

• Options
    got to be hodgson
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hodgson? you mad he is ok with small clubs would be so out of his depth like liverpool and would struggle to have any respect of players
  • Options
    It looks to me as if the fa might be using this as an excuse to get rid of Capello now & not have to pay up his contract.
  • Options
    Hodgson wasn't out of his depth with Liverpool, the team he inherited was sh*t!

I'd rather we gave it to a good foreigner than an average Englishman too, I could imagine old 'Arry would try and play people like Arteta 'cos 'e's practically English ain't 'e?'
  • Options
    Don't agree Noly - very difficult situation he went into with liverpool, with Hicks and Gilette hanging on.

DId decently at Inter. Organises teams well and simply, which is important in international football - Harry being good in the trasfer market wouldn't help here.