Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kids and mobile phones

Be interested in parents views on these statistics.

More than 90% of 12 year olds have mobile phones

On average, they send or receive up to 10 texts a day, three times more than their parents

Are mobile phones for kids a good way of keeping track of kids, and a helpful tool for them to fit in socially, or does it just increase the demands by children, waste income, and actually encourage poor social skills ??

Comments

• Options
    I think it is good thing in essence especially if you have a daughter. My son is 10 and has now started walking home from school on his own as he is adamant he doesn't want any of us picking him up and as he starts senior school next year we have got to start giving him independence.

My wife is an absolute nervous wreck about it - he does have a mobile but we don't allow him to take it to school - YET.

In this day and age of increased Paedophille crime on the increase I think it is only right you have a means of contacting your kids.

I would say though I don't think there are many parents out there that let kids under, say, 9 years old out and about on their own too much anyway.

I say especially with a daughter as I do think you are more protective socially towards girls. I do think kids over 11 should have them but ou should limit them to their usage.
  • Options
    Good points Arf. My son will be 8 soon and no doubt will start asking for one when his mates start getting them. I'm more worried about him getting mugged for his phone when he gets one but I guess older kids have always bullied and nicked stuff from younger kids.

Not quite sure about the poor social skills AFKA.
  • Options
    Our friends girl is 11 and has just started secondary school this month. She's had a mobile for about 6 months. Can only be a good thing is my mind - security and peace of mind for both her and her parents..... and I dont see her social skills being affected... the girl can talk for England!
  • Options
    Whilst I have no objection one way or the other to kids having mobiles, my wife is a teacher and says it's a pain in the backside. Kids in her school have to hand any phones in when they get to school and can pick them up when they leave, but they don't all do it. You then get people texting during lessons and she hates it.

On the other hand Arfur made the point about

[quote][cite]Posted By: Arfur[/cite]
    In this day and age of increased Paedophille crime on the increase I think it is only right you have a means of contacting your kids.
    [/quote]

I believe that this is wrong, it's not actually on the increase, it's more that the media report it a lot more than in the past. I may be wrong but I understand the the number of child abductions has stayed pretty much constant for 50 odd years. Children are for more at risk at home from relatives than they are walking home from school.
  • Options
    My twelve year old daughter has one- she went through the phase of it being a sign of her being a grown up and now just uses it as anyone would- personally i found it a great way to teach her the concept that if you spend on one thing something has to give- in her language- spend on the mobile- less pocket money.

I would struggle if she didn't have one- but she also knows that someone else would like it so not to flash it- otherwise she can only have a basic no frills model!
  • Options
    Agree with most of that Arfur - but also agree with Henry that perhaps the most obvious problem is that they are getting mugged for their phones.

PS "this age of increased paedophillia" - is that actually true? I suppose the internet has made it possible for them to conatct each other etc. But most abuse still occurs within families as it always has.
    There is more awareness of paedophile abuse these days which is a very good thing and newspapers make big stories out of stranger attacks which they didn't use to.
  • Options
    They have their uses for keeping tabs and in contact certainly.

The downsides though are mugging as others have said and the arguments and tension generated when, because of peer pressure they want a better, more singing all dancing model and you know that if you give in you may as well tattoo "Mug Me" on their foreheads since they won't keep it hidden in the street.

It is a very sad reflection on our society that decent people are forced to avoid certain areas, change their lifestyle and not travel at certain times by public transport because of the inability of our police and criminal justice system to stamp out mugging.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not quite sure about the poor social skills AFKA.[/quote]

I meant in the bit about kids sending / receiving 10 texts a day on average.

What i was getting at is with the increase in contact being driven by email and texts, is it effecting kids abilities to actually socially interact and hold actual conversations ?
  • Options
    "What i was getting at is with the increase in contact being driven by email and texts, is it effecting kids abilities to actually socially interact and hold actual conversations ? "

You mean unlike their parents who spend their time communicating on internet message boards ; )
  • Options
    WOT U GTN @ NRY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL or should it be LMFAO I dun no Wot U thk
  • Options
    Depends what they are using the Mobile for at the end of the Day. If it is a link to communicating with worried parents, or friends & family good idea. If however they are gonna be used in this 'happy slapping' craze where they use them to video people getting beaten up on them & send to their mates then no not really.
  • Options
    I generally find it's mainly older people who use txt msg bllx in text messages.
  • Options
    That cos when they text you Inspector they are trying to be down with youth.