Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunday lunch advice

2»

Comments

• edited June 2017

cheers all, was at the the black horse inn in thurnham the other week lovely and had a very good selection of drinks.

Yes their roasts are excellent fare too. Largest Yorkshire's I've seen!
  • Please excuse me for changing the local area......but the best Sunday Lunch in North Kent is at The Knowle Country House in Higham.......east of Gravesend.
    Don't think they do them during the summer months because of wedding functions.......for which they are very well known.
    Great food.....a desert trolley to die for......a reasonable wine list.....terrific country house surroundings all set in genteel quintessential English style.
    Recommend men to wear trousers with a belt to loosen and ladies something loose fitting. You'll come out fit to bust!
    Dress smart casual to feel at home with the venue.
    Booking essential.
    Visit their web site for further details.

Went to my nephews wedding there, fantastic food and a great venue (or it was then...2003)....now divorced though.
    I had my wedding reception there back in 2007.
    Good venue, blinding food, shame about the witch of a wife (now ex-wife) lol.
  • Locale (saw it mentioned above) is a decent enough restaurant and I eat in there regularly, normally because you can get a table last minute on fri/sat night.

The roast however - shocking. Piss poor. Nowhere near the standard of their usual menu.

20 quid all you can drink prosecco though is a plus!
  • The Boathouse in Danson Park is very nice for sunday lunch
  • Get yourself to The Pier Greenhithe. I know it's a fair distance from you, but if you find a better Sunday roast I'll eat .......................................... your leftovers.
    The only thing that comes close to it, is the dinner my missus cooks.
  • Any of the Hawksmoor if you come in a bit more centrally.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

The Boathouse in Danson Park is very nice for sunday lunch

we went there last year for the carvery absolutely terrible what made it worse was the chef was standing there cutting bits of meat off and eating it when no one was looking.
    Have heard conflicting reports on this place. We know the owners fairly well and they've recently trimmed down their portfolio of restaurants to concentrate on it more.
  • Posted without reading but my advice is stay at home and go veggie.
  • Curb_It said:

Curb_it.......have you been to The Knowle for Sunday lunch?
    I saw you gave my post a 'like' so I was wondering if you had?

No but been to a fair few weddings and the food was always excellent.

Treat yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Please excuse me for changing the local area......but the best Sunday Lunch in North Kent is at The Knowle Country House in Higham.......east of Gravesend.
    Don't think they do them during the summer months because of wedding functions.......for which they are very well known.
    Great food.....a dessert trolley to die for......a reasonable wine list.....terrific country house surroundings all set in genteel quintessential English style.
    Recommend men to wear trousers with a belt to loosen and ladies something loose fitting. You'll come out fit to bust!
    Dress smart casual to feel at home with the venue.
    Booking essential.......as far ahead as possible!
    Visit their web site for further details.

I like the food there so much I got married there

I'll only echo what you've said about the Knowle it is beautiful food and I love the building as well

Not far from there for a good roast dinner is the 3 crutches at Strood, brilliant value and very good food. You will always get a seat there but they do get busy

Also worth a mention is the huntsman in rochester for Sunday lunch and as mentioned above the black horse at Thurnham, closely followed by the oak on the green in Bearsted village and not far from wither of them the cock horse at Detling haven't been there for years though so it may not be as good as it once was

If you want something for kids then only the huntsman would be any good the others are too nice and kids won't appreciate them!
  • Daggs said:

Get yourself to The Pier Greenhithe. I know it's a fair distance from you, but if you find a better Sunday roast I'll eat .......................................... your leftovers.

a good freind's late father was a regular up until last year, brilliant pub over the summer they do a charity day, where they build rafts and race them over the thames, looks like small pub but for his wake must of been at least 200 in there.
  • Daggs said:

Get yourself to The Pier Greenhithe. I know it's a fair distance from you, but if you find a better Sunday roast I'll eat .......................................... your leftovers.

a good freind's late father was a regular up until last year, brilliant pub over the summer they do a charity day, where they build rafts and race them over the thames, looks like small pub but for his wake must of been at least 200 in there.
    The Pier was my local until I left Greenhithe....back in 1985.
  • Stay at home. Get a chicken from Morrisons.

• The Oak in Bickley is good but wouldn't travel miles.
  • Stay at home. Get a chicken from Morrisons.

How crispy are your spuds?
  • Went to the Little Brown Jug outside Tonbridge for Fathers day. Was very impressed with the size, quality and value. The pub was also a lovely setting with a stunning garden for a nice day.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

If you fancy venturing out of Eltham...

The Castle at Eynsford do an awesome Sunday roast. Make sure you book a table in advance.

If you fancy London, try Toms Kitchen at Canary Wharf (we ate there last Sunday and the £18 roast was decent) or go the Narrow at Limehouse. Nice pub on the river, owned by Gordon Ramsay so a little more expensive at around £20-22 last time we went but also very good.

Or, if you can get a table, the Kentish Hare at Bidborough just outside Tunbridge Wells is one of our regular favourites now.

Just to quickly edit that, you can take Toms Kitchen off the list.
    We went back there the weekend after and it was the worst meal and service I've ever encountered.
    Wrote a stroppy trip advisor review afterwards and have been invited back for a meal on the house by the manager but the damage is done now. Shame.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

If you fancy venturing out of Eltham...

The Castle at Eynsford do an awesome Sunday roast. Make sure you book a table in advance.

If you fancy London, try Toms Kitchen at Canary Wharf (we ate there last Sunday and the £18 roast was decent) or go the Narrow at Limehouse. Nice pub on the river, owned by Gordon Ramsay so a little more expensive at around £20-22 last time we went but also very good.

Or, if you can get a table, the Kentish Hare at Bidborough just outside Tunbridge Wells is one of our regular favourites now.

Just to quickly edit that, you can take Toms Kitchen off the list.
    We went back there the weekend after and it was the worst meal and service I've ever encountered.
    Wrote a stroppy trip advisor review afterwards and have been invited back for a meal on the house by the manager but the damage is done now. Shame.
    Was in the coffee shop next door this morning and can highly recommend their bacon rolls.