Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No one has mentioned yet....

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
The role of Yann Kermogant in our goal on Saturday.

If you were looking to analyse it, there is one reason why we are clear top of the league, and that is the fitness, desire and work ethic throughout the team.

And that is brilliantly illustrated by Yann's role in Saturday's goal.

Watch it again.

Yann places a perfectly placed volley pass to Green. He then spins, and busts everything to catch up with Green to get into the box. When the the.ball comes in from Green, Yann is breathing down the keepers throat at pace.

The.keeper screws up, no doubt about it. But I'm 100% convinced that without Yann's desire to get into the box, the.keeper would have been concentrated on the ball and wouldn't have conceded. And a win would have been a draw.

That to me has been the story of our season. More often than not, turning defeats into draws, and draws into wins.

The work ethic in our team is immense. And being rewarded.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    That bloke wins every header he goes up for. Despite all the excitement around some of the players we've brought in, I think he's completed this team.

Bit of an unsung hero.
  • edited January 2012
    Don't know if we've still got it, but it'd be interesting to see all the prozone (think that's what it was called) stats and compare them to last year; sure they're all getting about the pitch alot more, alot quicker, and for a lot longer...

It's one of the many reasons why there is such affinity between the fans and the players this year. Supporters reward effort. These lads are fit as a fiddle to wear the shirts.
  • imo (so basically a fact) he's been our best player
    just so dominant in the air and non stop graft and a superb touch
    i like him big time
  • The man's a superstar. Brings so much to the team and gives it his all (heard him described by commentators as 'a warrior'); he is also a very good footballer, which helps!

No doubt about it, CP has unearthed us a real gem.

Big Yann......................he's the man..............if he can't do it, no-one can!
  • He is our Cantona. When United signed him in Nov 1992, he changed their season, made them more attacking and that added 'flair' to United. Yann is doing exactly the same for us.
  • I said to fatrob a few weeks back he is like when brum signed duggery turned into an amazing signing scored important and great goals if not the bucket loads you would want
  • edited January 2012
    Good spot AFKA, although any half decent goal hungry striker should be busting a gut to get into the box when hes wingers belting down the wing... but given some of the jokers we've had up front over the last few years you can't take it for granted.

I think Kermogant's my PoY so far, so consistent, and got many different aspects to his game beyond the obvious.

I quite liked Hayes but I think Kermogant has been the difference between being a good team scrapping it out with the two Sheffs, and the exceptional team we are 10 points clear of them. His aerial ability in particular at Sheffield Wednesday was so important as it meant the ball wasnt coming straight back at us when we were forced to clear our lines under their pressure. That wouldn't have been the case with Hayes and BWP up top. He has given us the ability to mix up our game - without being reliant on it, we can play it long when necessary.
  • As AFKA pointed out, he starts a move in midfield by picking out the winger, and then busts a gut to be in the right place as the cross comes in.

And no doubt the keeper took his eye off the ball, as he saw Yann thundering in.
  • Cannot believe he's been lurking about basically unnoticed for years. Fantastic player - without doubt our player of the year. I actually feel sorry for Hayes - don't think he really did anything wrong for us, and lets not forget we had a great start to the season with him in the side, but since Yann's come in he has given the team that little missing piece of the puzzle. It's baffling - surely it can't have just been Powell that noticed how good he was at Leicester in training? I don't give a shit about that missed penalty - they were absolute f***ing mugs to let him go.
  • Best footballer in the league without question. I just wish his name wasn't so long as I can't afford to have him on my shirt
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2012
    Best footballer in the league without question. < blockquote>

Wouldn't go that far, but he has been a tremendous signing. I wasn't the only one who was uninspired when it was announced, having looked at his record.
  • Cannot believe he's been lurking about basically unnoticed for years. Fantastic player - without doubt our player of the year. I actually feel sorry for Hayes - don't think he really did anything wrong for us, and lets not forget we had a great start to the season with him in the side, but since Yann's come in he has given the team that little missing piece of the puzzle. It's baffling - surely it can't have just been Powell that noticed how good he was at Leicester in training? I don't give a shit about that missed penalty - they were absolute f***ing mugs to let him go.
    Word for word 100% accurate......................................
    Basically agree, but sometimes your face doesn't fit in a place. If the way they played didn't suit him or he was unhappy with team mates or accommodation it might have worn him down. Or he just had a couple of poor games and the confidence went. Also, playing devil's advocate, maybe he does better against worse players. Can't see it though as his game is so complete.
  • That bloke wins every header he goes up for. Despite all the excitement around some of the players we've brought in, I think he's completed this team.

Bit of an unsung hero.
    I wouldn't say he is an unsung hero. There has been what seems like 10 threads so far trying to agree a song/nickname for him.
  • edited January 2012
    Powells ability to get the best out of players maybe..

Yanns been floating about in the french leagues for ages but never had a decent scoring record for any team apart from at
    SO Châtellerault (goal every other game).
    Its not like hes anything amazing. He just seems to fit nicely into our team.
    He only scored 1 goal while at Leicester.

Dont think were as ruthless as we were when Hayes was up top with BWP but Kermit suits winter conditions more.
    Still miles better than Hayes though and quality for the harder games
  • Yann leads the line perfectly and gives us a focal point when we attack and has done so from his debut. The only thing which puzzles me is that he and BWP still don't seem to be on the same wavelength. That is not a criticism of either player but Yanns headers rarely find BWP running in on goal. I think this is why there are some Lifes suggesting that Haynes starts in place of BWP.
    That missed penalty has turned out to be a blessing in disguise for us because that is what many seem to have focussed on. But not Chris Powell who has shown just what an eye he has for a player.
  • Kermogant's Leicester career was doomed to failure after that penalty and it would have put a few other managers off I reckon. If he had scored it, his career would most probably have taken a different turn, We were lucky that Sir Chris would have seen what he was capable of there, so more willing to take a punt on him.
  • Having only been to Brentford this season, I heartily agree. I pointed out to Karen how often he won the ball in the air against taller opposition, and how much work he put in. Puts me in mind of Garry Nelson and Keith Jones with the effort he puts in.
  • (Off topic slightly) Anyone notice the referee in the l'pool v man u game ?
    Nope, Me neither. Good eh ?
  • Best footballer in the league without question. < blockquote>

Wouldn't go that far, but he has been a tremendous signing. I wasn't the only one who was uninspired when it was announced, having looked at his record.
    Who would you say is better? Rhodes is a better striker I'd say, but can he hit a first time volleyed through ball without even looking up like Kermorgant? Are there any other attackers who charge down midfielders on the ball, clear their lines at the back and still slide in for nothing balls when swathed in bandages? I think in terms of goalscoring ability, technical ability and making the most of his attributes he's the best footballer. Maybe not the best player, if that's a distinction that makes sense, but for me the best footballer