Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham - Local Rivals?

Think i'm right in saying that West Ham are the closest professional club to us, just closer than Millwall, so why has there never been much of a rivalry between the two teams?

I've spent my whole life in West Ham land, all my best mates are Hammers, i'll do the occasional away day with them and even had a season ticket there when i was younger, and none of their fans have ever spoken about Charlton as rivals.
At half-time at Upton Park for instance, i remember the announcer would say the latest scores for all the premier league clubs + Orient, Dagenham, Millwall etc, but never Charlton.

Is it simply a matter of the Thames being the border between two different communities?

Comments

• Options
    Doubt you are on West Ham's radar. They see us & Tottenham as their rivals.

• Options
    + Chelsea
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    They are not our Rivals and neither us to them. The Thames is to thank for that.
  • Options
    It's true that they look down on us, but then we look down on Millwall (sorry SLL) and the rivalry still exists. I do think the Thames is a big factor.
  • Options
    They're not local.
  • Options
    If the Thames wasn't there, we would be huge rivals as they are very close to us and we would be the two biggest teams in East London (again without the Thames we would be East not South East IMO)
  • Options
    They're not local.
    Well they're closer to us than Sheffield Wednesday are to Sheffield United.
    I know thats a 2 team city so their is obviously going to be a massive rivalry, but even so, West Ham and Charlton are close.
  • Options
    They're not local.
    I know thats a 2 team city so their is obviously going to be a massive rivalry, but even so, West Ham and Charlton are close.
    Any rivalry involving Wednesday will be massive.
  • Options
    And you can even see their new stadium (pending) from the top of Floyd road.................
  • Options
    No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're not local.
    As the crow flies they're close. Getting there is a different matter, you also travel about 20 years back in time when you cross the river.
  • Options
    Personally hate them more than Milwall or Palace.

If you go back far enough there is a big football rivallry for both us and Milwall against them because of the scabbing that took place by West Ham-based dock workers during the dockers strikes.
  • Options
    I said the opening statement on charlton no1 rival thread, it is a funny one although we have had big great games vs the hammers and it always generates a London derby atmosphere.
  • Options
    If the Thames wasn't there, London would be no bigger than any other English town and wouldn't be big enough to support two teams, let alone 14 of them.
  • Options
    If the Thames wasn't there, London would be no bigger than any other English town and wouldn't be big enough to support two teams, let alone 14 of them.
    Correct.

• Options
    You can see both Stadiums from Pontoon Dock DLR station and Folev is right that it is closer to the Valley than the Den.

My take on this is that up until the late 70's we hardly played the Hammers , they emerged in the late 50's when we had been relegated and we only played them for one season . In the 60's surplanted us as the biggest club in the East of London I think also because we never had a 'firm' a rivalry never really took off.

• Options
    You can see both Stadiums from Pontoon Dock DLR station and Folev is right that it is closer to the Valley than the Den.

My take on this is that up until the late 70's we hardly played the Hammers , they emerged in the late 50's when we had been relegated and we only played them for one season . In the 60's surplanted us as the biggest club in the East of London I think also because we never had a 'firm' a rivalry never really took off.

We did have a firm, small as it maybe, called the B-MOB, at least I think we did. Please correct me if i'm wrong
  • Options
    I think as a club we are very similar and have never really had a reason to dislike them,

The millsmall rival is based on dockers and we were not in that category of employment ,

On a hoolie front regardless of what anyone says they were the real deal in their heyday, and although we have always had an element who go to cafc for that it was never on the scale that in their pomf the hamsters had , so we never challenged them that way

And imo they treated us superbly when we shared their ground and I was always respectful of that period in our history , after being raped by the scum ,west ham treated us properly
  • Options
    It's all about the river, I only realised Leyton Orient was in East London when we came down 3 years ago! An yeah our firm's still about, B-Mob. Obviously not as big as West Ham or Millwall but it gets about.
  • Options
    I think as a club we are very similar and have never really had a reason to dislike them,

The millsmall rival is based on dockers and we were not in that category of employment ,

On a hoolie front regardless of what anyone says they were the real deal in their heyday, and although we have always had an element who go to cafc for that it was never on the scale that in their pomf the hamsters had , so we never challenged them that way

And imo they treated us superbly when we shared their ground and I was always respectful of that period in our history , after being raped by the scum ,west ham treated us properly
    Spot on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doubt you are on West Ham's radar. They see us & Tottenham as their rivals.

They are not on our radar mate.
  • Options
    They're not local.
    As the crow flies they're close. Getting there is a different matter, you also travel about 20 years back in time when you cross the river.
    Your views are a disgrace!!

• Options
    Agree with NLA

I've got a lot of time for West Ham since the groundshare at UP. It always felt a lot more like home over there than Selhurst which felt like a different city. Add to that the fact that their staff and fans always treated us well (despite the odd turnstile operator skimming gate receipts) and I can't really dislike them despite some of the divvy young the only way is essex wannabees who follow them now.

Generally a decent local derby but never a rivalry.
  • Options
    I Lived in Essex for a while, And West Ham fans would treat Charlton like a Annoying younger brother, Nothing more. It was a good time to live North of the river, As we were playing at Upton Park at the time, And did not have that nightmare trip to selhurst.
  • Options
    Much preferred the trip to the Boleyn after having to go to shitehurst.....

Think NLA pretty much sums it up for me.
  • Options
    Interesting....Charlton claim to be nothing like Millwall.....but Millwall & West Ham fans tend to agree that we're so similar & that's why the rivalry between the 2 sets is so strong.

Now you're saying Charlton are very similar to West Ham...so must make us all the same.

• Options
    Interesting....Charlton claim to be nothing like Millwall.....but Millwall & West Ham fans tend to agree that we're so similar & that's why the rivalry between the 2 sets is so strong.

Now you're saying Charlton are very similar to West Ham...so must make us all the same.

Yuk, I feel really dirty now (and not in a good way).

• Options
    Good spot SLL , i do think that in some respects we are similar,

a poster above says that west ham see charlton as an annoying little brother, i spose we see millwall like the spotty annoying little cousin who you just want to clump

;-)
  • Options

Yuk, I feel really dirty now (and not in a good way).

I know. 2 clubs I wouldn't say were similar at all, Charlton & West Ham. Both have their downfalls, but club & fan wise, just don't see the similarities.
  • Options
    by similar i meant that we are of similar size, we have quite a good history of success in days gone by, we have always looked to produce good young players from within,

we had a history of giving managers time in the role,

we have over the last 15 -20 years had similar success on and off the pitch and have both fallen on harder times of late,

the list could go on,

plus like the barrow boys of east londarn tawn we are the salt of the earth types until you reach deptford where you herberts start to appear