Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Smith

2»

Comments

• Options
    Smith's career went backwards in every sense of the word. Not just in terms of the level he played at but also in position - from being a goalscorer he ended up just netting 5 times in his final 300 matches.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Remember him and Bow as two nasty snarly ferral players!

Absolutely not to be compared.
    Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

Only cos Bowyer is ours. He was a horrible shitbag of a player too, tbf
    With the possible exception of Rob Lee Bowyer was the best young player I have ever seen.
    If only our present bunch of players showed as much desire as he did we would not keep dropping points from winning positions like we have in our last 3 games.
    In my opinion your wrong ?

Rob Lee as a teenager wasn't in the same class as Walsh, Elliott or Gomez, plus Bowyer and Shelvey were ahead of him when they were teens.
    I was at Wimbledon when Rob Lee ran their defence ragged as a young lad BUT he didn't find his consistency until he was in his early twenties and then he became a top player.

We have scored more late goals and come backs this season until the last couple of games so desire isn't lacking but skill and concentration will be lacking at times as we are a League 1 club.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

With the possible exception of Rob Lee Bowyer was the best young player I have ever seen.
    If only our present bunch of players showed as much desire as he did we would not keep dropping points from winning positions like we have in our last 3 games.

Rob Lee as a teenager wasn't in the same class as Walsh, Elliott or Gomez, plus Bowyer and Shelvey were ahead of him when they were teens.
    I was at Wimbledon when Rob Lee ran their defence ragged as a young lad BUT he didn't find his consistency until he was in his early twenties and then he became a top player.

We have scored more late goals and come backs this season until the last couple of games so desire isn't lacking but skill and concentration will be lacking at times as we are a League 1 club.
    Well in my opinion throwing 8 points away from winning positions in our last 3 games shows a total lack of professionalism.
    Unless the players toughen up mentally we will not make the playoffs.
    I take your point regarding Rob Lee btw.
  • Options

He scored in his home debut for Leeds against us. When he left for Man United he still looked about 14.

But reading between the lines many Leeds fans still feel very bitter about him.

He was sold to Man Utd for the same reason that Cantona was - because Leeds were in dire financial difficulty and Man Utd were the only club happy to pay everything up front.
    That is true. Smith might have done it to save Leeds. But I suppose he may have been in the situation where Man U offered to seriously mulitiply his wages, even possibly offer him a house and just set he and his family up finacially for life and that would be difficult to town down.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

Well in my opinion throwing 8 points away from winning positions in our last 3 games shows a total lack of professionalism.
    I think your right about professionalism, the Coventry game which we were bossing for 75 minutes was turned on its head when the wrong players were subbed( Bowyer is still learning TBF) and we became unclear weather to stick or twist.

Good to have grown up dialogue with a longstanding supporter who has always been concise and to the point about the Douchebag/Shitweasel.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

I think your right about professionalism, the Coventry game which we were bossing for 75 minutes was turned on its head when the wrong players were subbed( Bowyer is still learning TBF) and we became unclear weather to stick or twist.

Good to have grown up dialogue with a longstanding supporter who has always been concise and to the point about the Douchebag/Shitweasel.
    Good talking to you as well mate.
    Hopefully we will be here for many more years supporting Charlton after Shitweasel has gone.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I remember the commentator when he broke his leg playing against Liverpool in a clash with Riise (I think)....."It seems like the power of Riise's shot has broken Smith's leg"

He remember hm being a bit of a nasty player - but one I'd have loved to have been with us at the time. He was clearly never good enough for Man Utd at the time though.....
  • Options

Retires aged 37.

Nobodies favourite player, but to be fair played at the very top. Achieved 19 England caps and played in Europe for Leeds United and Manchester United. Picked up some pretty horrific injuries, but soldiered on (against medical advice) just for the love of the game. He also played for Newcastle and turned out for M.K. Dons and Notts County as he dropped through the divisions from Championship to League 1 and League 2.

That doesnt even look like him?
  • Options

Yes he was the bloke who effectively cut short rufus career.It was at Elland Road, a shockingly late tackle.I wish him all the worst in life,a horrrible nasty git who every time he played I was praying for a career ending injury.

Could be wrong but as far as I remember despite it being a shocker of a tackle, I believe it only broker Roof's toe and didn't play a part in knee injury, however if the memory is correct it potentially cost us points which might have cost us a European spot.
  • Options
    Run line at Notts county reserves last season he was giving me a right earbashing at half time because I flagged him offside about 3 times. Still had winning desire at his age. For a reserve game.got to admire it really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes he was the bloke who effectively cut short rufus career.It was at Elland Road, a shockingly late tackle.I wish him all the worst in life,a horrrible nasty git who every time he played I was praying for a career ending injury.

Could be wrong but as far as I remember despite it being a shocker of a tackle, I believe it only broker Roof's toe and didn't play a part in knee injury, however if the memory is correct it potentially cost us points which might have cost us a European spot.
    Rufus got injured in 2002/03 the season we finished 12th but only two points off a qualification place. However, we only picked up 4 points from 44 from our final 11 matches of which Rufus actually played in 5 of them (but not the sole win which was against Southampton).

The following season's failure to qualify, as we are reminded oh so often on here, was all down to the scapegoat that is Scott Parker being selfish and leaving to join Chelsea and nothing whatsoever to do with our historical post January loss of form under Curbs. For the record our League results, for those last six seasons from February onwards under Curbs, reads:

P84 W19 D24 L41

That's 81 points out of a possible 252 which equates to less than one point a game and we would have been relegated in a few of those had we demonstrated that form over the course of the season.

So, in conclusion, it is difficult to place the blame wholly and solely on anyone for not ending up where we thought we should be it Smith, Parker, Curbs or anyone else for that matter.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Retires aged 37.

Nobodies favourite player, but to be fair played at the very top. Achieved 19 England caps and played in Europe for Leeds United and Manchester United. Picked up some pretty horrific injuries, but soldiered on (against medical advice) just for the love of the game. He also played for Newcastle and turned out for M.K. Dons and Notts County as he dropped through the divisions from Championship to League 1 and League 2.

That doesnt even look like him?
    He has a big beard now. It looked like for ages he didn't need to shave after started out as a pro.
  • Options

Rufus got injured in 2002/03 the season we finished 12th but only two points off a qualification place. However, we only picked up 4 points from 44 from our final 11 matches of which Rufus actually played in 5 of them (but not the sole win which was against Southampton).

The following season's failure to qualify, as we are reminded oh so often on here, was all down to the scapegoat that is Scott Parker being selfish and leaving to join Chelsea and nothing whatsoever to do with our historical post January loss of form under Curbs. For the record our League results, for those last six seasons from February onwards under Curbs, reads:

P84 W19 D24 L41

That's 81 points out of a possible 252 which equates to less than one point a game and we would have been relegated in a few of those had we demonstrated that form over the course of the season.

So, in conclusion, it is difficult to place the blame wholly and solely on anyone for not ending up where we thought we should be it Smith, Parker, Curbs or anyone else for that matter.
    Was a broken Toe wasn't it? I still think we would have qualified for Europe with Scott Parker not throwing toys out and forcing a move.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

Who is Rob Lee?

I remember Charlton having a very good young player called Robert Lee whom, although not my personal choice, would be mentioned in dispatches in a debate as to Charlton's best young player.
  • Options

Smith's career went backwards in every sense of the word. Not just in terms of the level he played at but also in position - from being a goalscorer he ended up just netting 5 times in his final 300 matches.

i didn't understand his move from striker to defensive midfielder, but it seems like he stayed in that position for the rest of his career.
  • Options
    We also had mark Stuart at the same time as Lee. Probably more skilful than Lee I’d say but not as consistent think Lennie lolypop said he’ll either be going to Barcelona or Bromley
  • Options

We also had mark Stuart at the same time as Lee. Probably more skilful than Lee I’d say but not as consistent think Lennie lolypop said he’ll either be going to Barcelona or Bromley

Remember that quote. I liked hi, good footballer but another one who never fulfilled his potential.

• Options
    My memory might be doing me a disservice but whilst I remember Mark Stuart as being great with the ball he seemed to be a bit lightweight.
  • Options

My memory might be doing me a disservice but whilst I remember Mark Stuart as being great with the ball he seemed to be a bit lightweight.

28 goals in around 100 games for the Club mainly from the wing and many of those in the top tier too.

Oh for similar today.