Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Smith

Just said on sky sports that he's going on loan to MK Dons. Clever move or not? I don't Know if he has even been playing.

The thing that shocked me most is that he is still on 60k a week! Still. Did pardew draft that one? But Newcastle are going to pay 96% of his wages.

Comments

• Options
    Never was a fan of Smith who wasn't a good sttiker or midfielder. A bit of a thug so we can reckon on him kicking Pritchard if they both play down at our place. As for the wonga he is pocketing, nothing surprises me any longer but seems a lot for someone so mediocre.
  • Options
    Spot on legal, was only ever a 1 season wonder at Leeds. I guess the wages are a legacy of being at Leeds when they were spending silly money on wages and then a move to United, only way Newcastle could get him would be to offer the same terms or even more
  • Options
    Let's not forget he finished Rufus's career with a lovely tackle. And had a couple of nasty leg breaks himself. What goes around comes around......
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Showed loads of promise as a youngster and went to the FA school of excellence at the same time as Scott Parker I think. Was a local lad, hero come good at Leeds but he was never the same player after the broken ankle / leg having signed for Manure. An intersesting signing by the Fraud but wouldn't have brought much to our party more suited to the Spanners.
  • Options

The thing that shocked me most is that he is still on 60k a week! Still. Did pardew draft that one? But Newcastle are going to pay 96% of his wages.

Signed a five year deal in 2007 so guess it expires this summer. Can't remember who was NUFC manager then
  • Options
    Ok so its the sun reporting it not ssn.

A five year deal in 2007? He did well there then!
  • Options
    Newcastle only do 5 year deals
  • Options
    Didn't he get reinvented as a holding midfielder after he didn't score in about 8 seasons? I assume that means all he's good for is mad fouls and occasionally crying. Looking forward to seeing the latter at the Dons match
  • Options
    If anywhere near full fitness very good signing imo
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The bastard child of D Batty and B Bremner, a nasty piece of work who looks like a nice little boy. The answer if he starts to kick and hack is to kick and hack him back .. harder. I can't see how he is going to improve a not too shabby MKD outfit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good player on his day. His career never reached the heights it should have due to injury but he is certainly a class above League 1. Lets not criticise the wages, it is what it is. I wouldn't turn it down. It wasn't Pardew and it wasn't Mr. Sports Direct so lets not get caught up in any of that bother. England international, good player, not a person I'd buy a pint for but so what. Hope he gets some football and enjoys an injury free rest of his career (but has a stinker against us).
  • Options
    Looked very good against us in our first year in the prem. But I never could understand the hyperbole over him. Mainly because he didn't look like a real goal threat. Unlike say Nick Barmby, who looked an incredible player before his shin splints at Spurs, I never thought he'd be able to adapt his play. Barmby both looked good as the apex of a midfield, in the hole, and on the right at Everton and Liverpool. Smith had a nasty tackle, so whenever he didn't score pundits marked him as a defensive midfielder. But he was shit in that role. Never looked able to press and stay central, whislt propelling the team forward after breakdowns.

Still he played excellently in that qf, against Roma. Shame Ferguson made a fatallly bad decision against leaving him out against the geriatric Milan team, who needed space to hurt good teams.
  • Options
    Bangkok Dave , nothing personal , but do you remember what that northern monkey did to Richard Rufus? Hope some Div 3 clogger sorts him out.
  • Options
    And Bangkok Dave can we really not make a comment about his very high wages? Really? Ok.
  • Options
    And Bangkok Dave can we really not make a comment about his very high wages? Really? Ok.
    Oh I think we can. Because it's our money, isn't it? How many more players like this are out there, forgotten because they are not playing, but still taking money out of the game like Smith, while clubs like Darlington go to the wall for the want of one week of his wages? It's sick, and we shouldn't be afraid to say so.

And poor old Richard Rufus never got to see anything like that money, because Smith did him before the really big money kicked in.

Im with cblock. Hope he gets done by some Div 3 clogger. Or alternatively, by Danny Hollands.
  • Options
    Oh I think we can. Because it's our money, isn't it? How many more players like this are out there, forgotten because they are not playing, but still taking money out of the game like Smith, while clubs like Darlington go to the wall for the want of one week of his wages? It's sick, and we shouldn't be afraid to say so.

And poor old Richard Rufus never got to see anything like that money, because Smith did him before the really big money kicked in.

Im with cblock. Hope he gets done by some Div 3 clogger. Or alternatively, by Danny Hollands.
    I'm not bitter, but i think it would be called 'Rough Justice' if he got a good kicking in this division.

• Options
    Alan smith is very good for league 1. He'd be very good alongside Hollands. But who wants to pay those sorts of wages?mplus there's surely not a lot of hunger there, as he'd think he's been there and done it at a higher level (I'd presume)
  • Options
    This is Alan Smith former Man Utd striker now midfield dynamo who last scored a goal in United's 7-1 win over Roma on the 10th April 2007.

"Yes but he's been injured and he doesn't play the same role nowadays." I hear you say. Indeed, as 31 yellow cards and 2 Red cards since that goal will testify.

Glad we haven't got him. A poor man's Semedo imho.
  • Options
    This is Alan Smith former Man Utd striker now midfield dynamo who last scored a goal in United's 7-1 win over Roma on the 10th April 2007.

"Yes but he's been injured and he doesn't play the same role nowadays." I hear you say. Indeed, as 31 yellow cards and 2 Red cards since that goal will testify.

Glad we haven't got him. A poor man's Semedo imho.
    So, the last time he scored, was a few months before he received a 5 year £60k per week contract :-)

• Options
    I'm sure in a team with a touch of class and quality round him he looks alright as he plays a knuckle dragging fouling goon.

But in a League 1 side is he really going to show Premiership class? I hope not as i cannot stand him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assumed he'd retired.
    A poor signing by a nothing club.
  • Options
    MKD must be pretty desperate to sign this #1 dick
  • Options
    This amounts to karl Robinsons shit-or-bust move.

I hope he's shit and his leg gets bust.......................................
  • Options
    I must be the odd one out. Assuming he is fit, I think that this is a great signing.
    I very much doubt that they are contributing anything much to his wages.
  • Options
    I said in first post that Nufc are paying 96% of it... according to the Sun.
  • Options
    Will surely have the best technical ability in this league when he joins. Can also hold his own in regards to workrate... I opened this thread hoping he was being rumoured to join us.

Unrelatedly, didn't realise it was his tackle that ended Rufus's career.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Like finding a tin of high-octane fuel and sticking it in your '98 Ford Mondeo, hoping it'll make it go faster. Everything will shake, the wheels will fall off and somebody will probably get hurt.
  • Options
    He doesn't drink.
    Never trust a man named Smith who doesn't drink.
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    Will it not interfere with his Sky TV work?
  • Options
    Vermin. Remember him scoring in front of the covered end and standing holding his ears in front of the covered end (no booking) and Chris Perry getting sent off soon afterwards during a 4-0 thrashing.