Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All Star Game

After watching the NHL All Star Draft last night it got me wondering if this sort of thing would work in football? Votes opening up to fans half way through the season to pick the form/best players who all go into a pot, two captains pick out players in playground fashion and then a game is played after the season is finished for example? It could happen in the years that there is no summer tournaments so to reduce the risk of injury to key players. The proceeds could all go to charity so some good could come of the game and give football some positive press.

Do you think there would be an appetite for it from both fans and players or is it only the sort of thing that appeals on the whole in North America?

Comments

• Options
    In the US it is usually one league v another and seems quite popular but then they don't really have representative games such as internationals as we do in football.

Also in baseball at least the game has real meaning as the winning league gets to play by their rules in the world series.
  • Options
    Maybe it could replace the Charity Shield?
  • Options
    It would be full of Sky 4 players voted for by people who live 250 miles away from their club. Waste of time in my opinion.
  • Options
    North of England v South of England could be good
  • Options
    Two players from every prem club.

One each on either side.

Fans vote on their own club's players only.
  • Options
    Henry the NHL have gone to the Fantasy Draft System the last two years where basically two captains get up and pick away. Was actually quite entertaining last night predicting who would be first pick and who would be last etc.
  • Options
    Or even say there has to be representatives from each league in two squads of twenty two? Then players from the bottom leagues get the opportunity to share a dressing room with some of the top Premier League players?
  • Options
    I always liked the idea of a World Cup, where players represent the country of the league they play in.. not where they were born
  • Options
    Yeah you could have a mini tournament even with teams from The Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.
  • Options
    I think it would work but for one thing. In football there are Internationals and full league programmes - American football doesn't have that so can fit in these sort of games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it would work but for one thing. In football there are Internationals and full league programmes - American football doesn't have that so can fit in these sort of games.

I was watching a program a few weeks back that said once kids in the US leave college, its either pro American football or quit as they dont have a sunday league like us. Does anyone know if this is true ?

• Options
    4 squads of 23, 6 players from the 4 leagues (5 in prem), only 1 player per team, rolling subs, played at wembley semis, 3rd vs 4th and a final
  • Options

I was watching a program a few weeks back that said once kids in the US leave college, its either pro American football or quit as they dont have a sunday league like us. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Not true. There are thousands of amateur American Football teams in the US, competing in hundreds of leagues. http://www.semiprofootball.org/

What the program might have been trying to get across is that, once players leave the college system in the US, if they don't get drafted, very few of them ever make the professional leagues through 'try-outs'. Since the entire reason most of them played football in the first place was to try and get to the NFL, most don't bother playing 'for the fun of it' and give up completely.
  • Options
    In the US it is usually one league v another and seems quite popular but then they don't really have representative games such as internationals as we do in football.

Also in baseball at least the game has real meaning as the winning league gets to play by their rules in the world series.
    Is it not that they get home field advantage e 4 games out of the 7 with the home teams rules applying to each game ?