Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any busineess thriving at present

Would be good to hear if the present economic climate is not hurting some people.

Comments

• Options
    Bankers, bailiffs and betting shops.

I also hear that energy companies seem to be doing well, good for them, for us, not so much.
  • Options
    Wonga.com
  • Options
    Would like to say what you want to hear but unfortunaltely i cant, we seem to be working harder than ever for less and less reward, i have no idea how i am going to replace worn out machinery in the next couple of years as at this rate there will be no investment funds available.
  • Options
    We are all good Steve, my business designs, supplies, installs, commissions and maintains all types of fire protection systems and we have never been busier.

In fairness a lot of what we do is required by law if you have a certain size building so whilst we are not fully recession proof if we keep providing a good service and our costs competitive we should (fingers crossed) be OK
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Anyone who tells you they are doing well is most likely bull-shitting.
    Most businesses (well small businesses that is) the owners are merely earning a living........and only just at that, particularly in the High Street retail/wholesale business.
  • Options
    Pawnbroking is going through the roof.
  • Options
    Most businesses (well small businesses that is) the owners are merely earning a living........and only just at that.
    Lol, sorry about then :-) (see above)

Not sure what you class as small Soundas but we now employ 32 people however it was 29 six months ago so that indicates how we are doing becuase we have employed three extras.

• Options
    By the way heard that Cobra Beer has gone tits up in The UK.
  • Options
    Most businesses (well small businesses that is) the owners are merely earning a living........and only just at that.

Not sure what you class as small Soundas but we now employ 32 people however it was 29 six months ago so that indicates how we are doing becuase we have employed three extras.

or the 29 are not working as hard as they were :-)
  • Options
    Touch wood, since being made redundant and joining my current firm (small, 65 people) things really are looking up (recruitment, and no I'm not a consultant). We had record months in November and December and are growing pretty quickly, all organically as well so no debts.

Not really sure how the economies around Europe and the world will go but it's looking positive here. I hope it continues for obvious reasons.

Potential for a Vegas trip in September as well if I stick to it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012

No chance, the one thing that is more relevent now is monthly management accounts, if you do not keep your eye on the ball on a monthly basis things can go bad very quickly.

Staff numbers are up, turnover is up and profit is up.

• Options
    All good at the moment for my software business - though over 50% of sales come from Asia which is doing OK at the moment.
  • Options

No chance, the one thing that is more relevent now is monthly management accounts, if you do not keep your eye on the ball on a monthly basis things can go bad very quickly.

Staff numbers are up, turnover is up and profit is up.

All in all happy days for you Sir :-)

PS if you need any machined components give me a shout please...ashamed but needs must!!

• Options

All in all happy days for you Sir :-)

PS if you need any machined components give me a shout please...ashamed but needs must!!

Sorry revelinit but the one thing we do not do is make any of the components we use, we buy in from suppliers, mark up and sell on.

• Options
    Wonga.com
    This
  • Options
    Currently on a short-term contract for a small IT consultancy company (48 staff when I joined). Lost a major client a couple of months back, which is (obviously) serious for such a small concern, but picked up a major new piece of work at the same time. So, all good here at the moment. As far as I am concerned though I probably don't need to worry about their future beyond the end of March (when my contract runs out).
  • Options
    Look after hundreds small business as my job. A lot are still doing really well but a lot are starting to feel the strain and having to tighten up.
  • Options
    (Depressingly) Tattoo Parlours
  • Options
    I build boats in my attic. Sales have gone through the roof.
  • Options
    I'm a software developer/freelancer and my largest client in the US is expanding, so I've signed a new deal with them which guarantees me a certain amount of work every month, means I don't have to worry about paying the bills and still have capacity for additional projects. Since December I've really needed 2 or 3 clones as the amount of work on offer has far exceeded my capacity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look after hundreds small business as my job. A lot are still doing really well but a lot are starting to feel the strain and having to tighten up.
    I'm surrounded by small businesses and all I can say is that none of them are doing well.

• Options
    (Depressingly) Tattoo Parlours
    Yea - what's tat all about?!

My two son's girlfriends were discussing their next tattoos at Christmas - I just thought that was a conversation that would not have happened 15 years ago. I blame Beckham.
  • Options
    Prisons and estate agents always seem to do well
  • Options
    Spoke to an LA which has a £4million project that cant wait anylonger and will kick off after the Olympics. Two other contracts waiting on budget release and cant be held back to much longer.

I dont think this years will be as hard as some are saying ( although it will be tough) this shit heap started in 2008-- its 2012 you can only stop investing in your heard services etc for a limited time before you cant recover or you hit compliance issues. This wont be a recovery or anything to do with Cameron.
  • Options
    Prisons are having a real hard time, cuts and threats of privatisations.

So far this week dealt with a private girls school (no jokes please) who are finding it difficult to keep student numbers up, a garden centre who are doing very well, a group of recruitment companies some of whom are growing and other shrinking, a firm that fits out cinemas and costa coffee who are doing well enough and a wholesale furniture firm who aren't.

So mixed but no one is getting really rich or booming or if they are they aren't working with me!
  • Options
    Whilst a few Pubs particularly liquid only ones are struggling, many of our Pubs (Shepherd Neame) that serve food are doing very well at the moment, Profits for the company up Three years running in a recession shows the business is doing OK in very tough possibly even the toughest ever market conditions.
  • Options
    Our company is doing very well and has grown over the last 6 years i have been here. Work as an Energy Broker.
  • Options
    Prisons and estate agents always seem to do well
    A lot of my work (cost consultant, construction industry) was to do with building and extending prisons but that has dried right up - just little refurbs and things now. Luckily some of my other clients (Water, schools, defence) are doing things and as a company generally wea re okay as we did what our chief exec describes as 'bagging a mammoth' last year - i.e, a new huge client - EDF, and they are spend spend spend so if i'm honest then yes, i'm doing alright but know loads in the industry that aren't.
  • Options
    recruitment into banking (IT wise) looks busy jobs wise but forcing through lower and lower margins and tighter and tighter criterea, and have massively slowed down the process so a job used to be live for 1 week, now staying open for a month or so, so board looks busy with jobs, but they are all fairly old ones. Looking forward to the bonus letters which will be sent out in the next 6 weeks. That will really put the cat amoungst the pigeons and once again bankers and anyone associated whyt banks will eb the most hated ppl in the world. If you think you feel depressed and negative about the future just wait until they announce that even though so and so bank lost ..... billion in the last 12 months they still manage to find a few billion to give out as bonuses to congratualte the bankers on a job well done. Then in april the big corporate bonuses kick in for chief execs again congratulating them on the company shrinking in value, and entire work force on tenter hooks fearing redundancy.....YAY!!! As if this thread wasn't depressing enough.

I see the whole economy a bit like a wound you know needs further attention but as your tight on time and money and don't want to waste a day waiting in a hospital you think a bandage will do, several days later its still bleeding but now pussing also. If you'd got it sorted properly sure you'd have lost a days pay, possibly a few while it heals but atleast it would be healed now it looks like your limb may have to come off becuase gangreen has set in and you'll lose a lot more than those intial few days.....
  • Options
    Started working for my family plumbing and heating company 6 months ago, and its just getting busier and busier,
    so it hasnt affected us wht so ever.
    touch wood!