Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Rams

You may have read about the St Louis Rams NFL team playing one game per season at Wembley over the next three years.

Friend who follows the Rams (and Cards) and regularly travels to St Louis to watch them told me the conspiracy theory out there is that when the Rams stadium lease expires in 2014 they will move the franchise to London. Seems the Arsenal shareholder also has an involvement so game maybe played at Arsenal or Wembley.

Not really a fan of grid iron but an interesting development if true.

Comments

• Options
    Stan Kroenke is the owner at the Rams and the Arsenal shareholder.
  • Options
    They're fools if they think this silly version of rugby will ever catch on over here.

Probably as much chance as footballsoccer has over there.............
  • Options
    I think it is a test to see if london can sustain attendances for a franchise.2014 would be far to soon though.
  • Options
    Will there fans get a piece of paper telling them its 15 minutes on the bus?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Growing sport over here.

Smart move, imo. its much easier to get into a sport when you have a specific team to follow and take an interest, rather than always watching as a neutral.

As an NFL fan I'll be taking more of an interest in the rams, knowing that I'm going to be watching them each of the next three years

side note - American football is the most tactically complex sport I've ever watched. Unbelievable level of detail goes into it. The coaches regularly live at the team facilities all week, working huge hours, as there's so much preparation and planning required. Players' intelligence is important too, as they have to learn and execute it. Much more so than football.
  • Options
    Growing sport over here.

Smart move, imo. its much easier to get into a sport when you have a specific team to follow and take an interest, rather than always watching as a neutral.

As an NFL fan I'll be taking more of an interest in the rams, knowing that I'm going to be watching them each of the next three years

side note - American football is the most tactically complex sport I've ever watched. Unbelievable level of detail goes into it. The coaches regularly live at the team facilities all week, working huge hours, as there's so much preparation and planning required. Players' intelligence is important too, as they have to learn and execute it. Much more so than football.
    Which makes it as exciting as watching a chess match..................
  • Options
    MK Dons anyone? What an absolutley atrocious idea
  • Options
    A chess match with unbelievable athleticism and a helping of violence? Yes.
  • Options
    The Rams are using this idea as bargain for a potential move back to LA. Even though the games at Wembley have been sell-outs, I don't think there is sustainability in a franchise moving to the UK for the long-term, not necessarily because of supporters and fan base but more for the logistical complications for the league and the other teams involved.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MK Dons anyone? What an absolutley atrocious idea
    Maybe, but the idea of a franchise moving cities is nothing new or shocking in the US. The Cardinals left SL for Arizona and so the Rams moved in from LA.

The list in Baseball would be even longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have a spare 10 hours of your life to waste then go and watch a NFL game. l haven't so for that reason l'm out.
    Baseball...Yank version of Rounders.
    Basketball...Yank version of Netball.
    Ooh l'm so cynical today
  • Options
    Love the NFL, love the idea of having a London franchise.
    Can't wait for it to be back this year but it is only one match so it has the novelty factor, not sure how attendances would stand up for 8 regular home games in London.
    Hope this happens.

• Options
    The Rams are pretty nomadic. I think they were also in Cleveland before LA?!?

Seems like a tie up with Arsenal could work well in this regard.
  • Options
    Screw Wembley, the pitch is bad enough as it is! Screw Arsenal, they won't want the Emirates being churned up, screw West Ham, put the Rams in the Olympic Stadium! GO RAMS!!!!!!

Though really I'm a Pat's fan
  • Options
    Yank bashing now...stop it.

Anybody who's spent time in the US or Canada will appreciate the main sports they play. Personally am a big fan of baseball, ice hockey & NFL but can't stand basketball.

Don't like the idea though that a franchise could settle here. Reminds me of taking a 39th game in the Premiership to Asia. There would certainly be a market for it bit it just ain't right.

Really can't see it happening.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Not a big fan of gridiron, but there is a lot of sense in this. As Henners says, forget the MK Dons comparison, they have moved from Ohio to LA to Anaheim to St. Louis over the years. Distance wise for the other teams, well it is a long way, but they are used to flying to away fixtures all the time. As for support, it would come from all over Europe, London Rams would be Europe's team. The Rams averaged 53,000 last year, I think they could match that at Wembley, with any number of fans of the away team based in Europe making a weekend of it once a year.
  • Options
    Macronate.... sitting here with a broken shoulder, so need to find something to have a go at ;-)
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see what crowds they expect to get over here. For the annual Wembley game people travel and make a weekend of it hence the sell out crowds. Still I would like to see more games here but is there enough interest or marketing opportunities here for a franchise. In the States every sports shop and clothes shop sell merchandise and the Yanks snap it up. Will Londoners feel the same?
  • Options
    Don't love it or hate it so not in a position to comment but I would never want to see any such thing taking place on the pitch at The Valley unless its end of season before they re-seed it.
  • Options
    It won't happen. LA is desperate for the return of one or two franchises there are currently plans to build 2 stadiums in LA. One next door to the staples centre and one at the city of industry.

The rams will move to one of these with the other likely to be San Diego or Oakland.

Both stadiums will be ready by 2014.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    An old friend of mine was heavily involved in trying to promote the game over here back in the days of Greenwich Rams.
  • Options
    American Football was the main American sport I never got. Then I watched the Minnesota Vikings failed assault on the Super Bowl a few seasons ago, with I think Brett Favre. They were great to watch, and as intelligent American people I'd met always said watch a good game and you'll see what it can be about.

Personally I'd rather watch the Cards. I'd love it if there was a modern baseball stadium in London. Hours of entertainment for half the price of footy, in a modern stadium like citi field or orioles park.
  • Options
    I'm also an NFL fan (NY Giants, @sam3110 superbowl, its on!).
    As much as I would love to see a regular game over here this doesn't seem like a good idea. The west coast teams already complain enough having to travel to the east coast to play games, I can't see many clubs up for traveling to a different continent to play a game.
    As BBClaus said, the game takes a lot of planning and coaching, how would the traveling team do this in London or on the plane?
  • Options
    Yank bashing now...stop it.

Anybody who's spent time in the US or Canada will appreciate the main sports they play. Personally am a big fan of baseball, ice hockey & NFL but can't stand basketball.

Don't like the idea though that a franchise could settle here. Reminds me of taking a 39th game in the Premiership to Asia. There would certainly be a market for it bit it just ain't right.

Really can't see it happening.
    Agree with that, lived there for 8 years, loved all sports but basketball, waste of time, last couple of minutes is the only time it gets remotely exciting and then time outs, fouls, just ruin the flow of it.

Could see it happening myself, ideal for the Olympic Stadium, also think an NBA team will arrive in the not too distant future. Global expansion seems to be the buzzword over there. Would love to see baseball over here, that will never happen, best US sport by a mile.

• Options
    Baseball would be my favourite game to bring over here, but they would need to build a completely new stadium for it to work, and out of all the US sports I think it's the least likely to catch on over here
  • Options
    Can't see baseball every coming over for a lot of reasons. NFL is ideal because there are only 8 home games and they're well spaced out (I think the 16 regular season games each team plays are spread out over something like 18-20 weeks). So you only have to fill a stadium 8-10 times (including post-season), you're only asking 8-10 teams to travel from the US, etc.

With baseball teams play a massive amount of games, often 4-5 a week, travelling would be excessive and in some cases simply impossible (imagine playing in London on a saturday night, and then having an afternoon game in LA on Monday?).

You also have to look at NFL having a far bigger fanbase in the UK than baseball. We've had NFL tv coverage since the 80s, whilst baseball has had very little mainstream coverage, not helped by the lateness of the games. Plus baseball would have to compete with Twenty20 cricket. T20 lasts 3 hours and has an average of 300+ runs scored and 10-20 sixes. Baseball last 3-5 hours and averages single digit scores and very few home runs by comparison. I can see very few people choosing to spend 5 hours at a baseball game for what will be a high price, when for less they could get far more bang for their buck at a T20 game.

Baseball has a problem when you try and sell it to a new audience. It looks like it's a game about batters, but it's not, it's really a game about pitchers, and they have by far the upper hand. I'm not sure a mainstream UK audience would take to a bat and ball sport where the best batsmen only get bat on ball around 30% of the time, and you can have whole innings without a single hit, let alone runs.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of baseball, I saw Roy Haddaway pitch a perfect game for the phillies in 2010 and it was amazing, but I just can't see it ever taking off over here, even if the crazy logistics of MLB could be overcome somehow.
  • Options
    Maybe they could play four of their home games at Wembley/Olympic stadium and then every other home game at a different venue around the UK/Ireland ?
  • Options
    espn have started to broadcast baseball matches and 5 live have been doing a few on sundays. i dont know what the ratings are but i can guess as with most things on espn not alot. they just broadcast it cos it was cheap to buy the rights and no one else wanted it.

As for NFL, much popular. I think they will fill out statdiums for 3 or 4 games over here. There're a lot of NFL fans in europe who can easily come over to london to watch the game. Especialy as europe once had their own American football league.

I find the sport trying to be as complicated as possible but yet its so bloody simple. One guy chucks the ball another guy catches it to try and get further up the pitch. Majority of the time that seems to be the play. Then every now and again they try something a bit more challenging which sometimes comes off but it isent really that much different to what they have been doing the whole time. I know they pratice these 'plays' but it doesent look like that much thinking goes into it. Just alot of marking (defending) and players trying to get away from their markers. It kind of reminds me of basketball with a bit more physicalness.
    As for the time that it takes for all this to happen (not helped by the over the top celebrations by a defender who tackles an attacker. it would be a bit like a goalkeeper when he collects the ball from a cross start dancing around the 6 yard area and end on a usain bolt stance) you have lost all intrest, then they try and get you back into the game by shouting 2 MINIUTE WARNING!!! you soon get over the initial panic that the russians are attacking and remember your watching a game.
    Its called football but you hardly ever use your feet. you are alowed to pass the ball but they often choose not too. whats the point of calling it a touchdown when you dont have to touchdown.
    The americans are right there is no play acting, helped by the amount of padding on. It is a spectacle. Its like an over the top hollywood action film production would be. Yet, though i obviously have alot of problems with this sport, i can watch it. Though only for a short period of time before being bored or anoyed. I usually prefere 'highlight' shows to watching the full 3-4 hour game live. I do find the whole thing intriguing, the whole spectacle of it especially the super bowel. So with my curiosity i will probably give the super bowel a go. I'll get to half time thinking good god i'm only half way through and its 2 in the morning. put up with some shocking black eyed peas half time show, where i nearly have an seizure due to the millions of flashing lights. then eventualy fall asleep someway through the third quarter.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Im a 49ers fan so look forward to them coming over (ooer missus!) and beating the North London Gooner Rams!!
  • Options
    Karim, there's is a lot more tactically going on. Much like football is just a game of scoring more goals than the opponents, NFL is just a game of scoring more points.

If a team tried to go with a throwing play every down then you'd find the defense simply set up for that, they'd blitz the quarterback every play and you wouldn't have much luck. The reason there are so many plays is to try and throw the defense off, will you throw or run, will it be a long or short pass, has the quarterback really handed the ball off to a runner, or is he going to spin the other way and throw? There is a huge amount of complexity involved.

Baseball and American football have this same thing where they take a very simple game and massively complicated it, then sprinkle liberally with a million stats. It baffles me why cricket has taken off over there, it satisfies all their basic sporting desires (simple idea complicated by a load of rules and subtle strategies/tactics, tons and tons of stats, plenty of short breaks for adverts)