Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Royal Yatch

It is reported today that a couple of ministers (Gove and Willetts) proposed that the nation (ie taxpayers) should buy a new yatch (estimated cost £60 million) to replace Britannia (scrapped in 1997) as a gift to Mrs Windsor to celebrate her diamond jubilee. Downing Street has immediately vetoed public money being spent in this way especially in the current financial climate. My personal view is that anyone coming out with such ideas should be placed in a closed room with no sharp objects but what do other Lifers think? Try and keep vitriol (from both points of view) to a minimum please. I am sure there are good arguments for and against, so let's hear them.

Comments

• Classic.
  • And before anyone comments, yes I should have written YACHT..........
  • The royal family had plenty of money, if they want a yatch let them buy it.
  • Keep your fingers off of the royal yatch.
  • whats a yatch?
  • i hear the one above off the cost of italy might be up for sale.
  • edited January 2012
    Yatch - Short for the term Bi-Yatch. Usually used to describe to your girlfriend. Can be used as a term of endearment or insult.

I wonder if it's been ever used on Countdown

With love maam xx
  • There are a lot of ministers in the current government that i would like to join the dole queue. Lansley, the curry-eater Pickles, Teresa May, and of course Osbourne. But topping the lot, even before this, was that snivelling, poisonous coward/bully dwarf Michael Gove. This just gave him a lead over the others similar to that we enjoy at the top of L1.

Hope that has not exceeded the vitriol limit
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing would surprise me with this government .
  • Un-freakin'-believable.

Just so you can hate him more, here's Gove

He can yatch off
  • Sure thing if they buy every Cafc a Yatch aswell im onboard. If not well they can fuck pee off

With love maam xx
    yup, that works for me
  • If and when it's built, I sincerely hope it meets the same fate as the Costa (packet) Concordia by hitting a big rock or two and sinking fast with all the 'royals, dukes & duchesses, earls, barons and palace lickspittles' on board and not a lifeboat to be found.
  • Chicken feed compared to the Olympics!
  • Chicken feed compared to the Olympics!
    Not really though. The Olympics will provide a lasting legacy, will generate lots in revenue for London and has helped us overhall tired transport infrastructure in a neglected part of the city. Unless they're going to install an Oyster card reader on this yacht I can't see it achieving any of these things.

Surely the royal family could fund this themselves.

What planet do these MP's live on.
  • edited January 2012
    I agree they should buy it themselves , they can certainly afford it, but i guess its all part of the cost of having a royal family, i'd sooner have what we've got rather than a dictator , the lesser of 2 evils i think, how much does Air Force 1 cost to run a year just out of interest?
  • Wait a minute. What if it is built in Britain, using a number of British companies that could employ hundreds of people and filling up the order books of companies and suppliers for months, if not years, to come. We still build boats and ships in this country and using govt money to build a yacht for the Queen could be no different to any other public money used to build civil projects.
  • edited January 2012
    civil projects are usually intended to bring long-term benefits to a slightly larger section of society than the RF
  • Sponsored links:

• civil projects are usually intended to bring long-term benefits to a slightly larger section of society than the RF
    True, but we're not talking HS2 money here are we and quite a number of people would be better off in employment in the ship yards etc.
  • Wait a minute. What if it is built in Britain, using a number of British companies that could employ hundreds of people and filling up the order books of companies and suppliers for months, if not years, to come. We still build boats and ships in this country and using govt money to build a yacht for the Queen could be no different to any other public money used to build civil projects.
    If you do that why not pay for the building of a yacht using public funds and then sell it?

It's completely different to HS2 which is aimed at improving teh economy not just by construction but by easing congestion between our major cities. Not only that put people will have to pay to use HS2. The queen's not going to be paying a fare.

Kind of astonished that Gove proposed this. Don't like him but didn't think he was that out of touch with the public view.

• We should go for it. Other countries will respect us more if we've got a lady with a gold hat turning up at their gaff in a big flash boat. Stands to reason.

However, it might be that this story is a just a bit of fairly obvious spin. 1) Get a couple of mins to float loony cash leaking idea that everyone will oppose (promise them future reward as a payoff) 2) PM comes down on it immediately stating that it's a waste of money thus establishing CallmeDave as a man of the people able to spot an obvious white elephant when one points its arse in his face and not the kind of posho to kowtow to royalty. Maybe I watched too much Malcolm Tucker.
  • I agree they should buy it themselves , they can certainly afford it, but i guess its all part of the cost of having a royal family, i'd sooner have what we've got rather than a dictator , the lesser of 2 evils i think, how much does Air Force 1 cost to run a year just out of interest?
    Do you seriously see the alternative to monarchy as dictatorship ? Re Airforce One, how exactly would you expect the President of the United States to travel, Easy Jet ? Either way, this Royal Yacht nonsense is a complet vanity project suggested by an out of touch politican for an equally out of touch old lady.
    Wait a minute. What if it is built in Britain, using a number of British companies that could employ hundreds of people and filling up the order books of companies and suppliers for months, if not years, to come. We still build boats and ships in this country and using govt money to build a yacht for the Queen could be no different to any other public money used to build civil projects.
    This is a good point but a) why couldn't the RF still fund it themselves, and b) I'm fairly certain under EU regulations it's completely illegal for the government to award a contract to a British company just because they're British. Now if the RF funded it themselves, then perhaps it could be construed as a private project and they could choose anyone they wished which would mean there was nothing to stop them awarding it to a British firm to reward their loyal subjects (!)
  • edited January 2012
    I deal in Yatches - they are small rodents that look identical to hamsters - I can supply the queen with a couple of these rare creatures for a mere £30million.

• Quite a number of people would be better off if they weren't having they weren't being laid off by their public sector employers.

• What if it was paid for by private money?

HMS McDonalds

or The Royal Yacht Britannia Building Society

I am a confirmed republican and as such don't have much time for Royal this or that. However I wonder what we would be doing if we were a republic with a President. Probably something similar although it wouldn't be called a Yacht. Maybe our equivalent of Air Force One - probably costing a lot more though.

Perhaps Her Majesty could sell a castle or two, to pay for it?
  • Why can't HRH go on Yacht World and get a second-hand one?
    http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/
  • edited January 2012
    So the Queen actually wants a new yacht rather than a new yatch? Anybody want a yatch at a knockdown price? If you are unsure what the difference is between a yatch and a hamster- yatches have unsual markings on their bellies that almost look like they have been drawn on with a permanent marker!
  • edited January 2012
    They make loving attentive pets and if you do ever tire of them they make a delicious snack. I'll get my coat.