Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    JonnyK said:

Played BurHill old course near Hersham on Thursday -wow what a layout and not for the feint hearted! Just under 7000 yards and yellow tee boxes were just 5 yards in front of the whites with the lady's tees only about 20 yards shorter.
    Besutiful course in fantastic condition but I've never played such quick greens in my life - they made Addington Palace greens look like shaggy carpets.
    Recommend you play it at least once in order to get an idea of what it's like to play on a pro set up course. Every par 4 appeared to be 440 yards long!
    It made me v humble ;-))))

Played there in June, was quite disappointed with parts of it to be honest. Couldn't believe it's £90 for 18 for a visitor.
  • Options
    I see there has been a planning application for a driving range and mini golf centre on greenwich peninsula. Not sure if it's where we were rumoured to be moving to.
  • Options
    boogica said:

my 40th next week and just found out the missus is taking me to the Belfry tomorrow for 2 nights, as her sister is also 30 next week, her and brother in law also coming, so golf for us lads and spa for the ladies.

Never played the Belfry but can't wait now, nice surprise!, she even booked me out the office for the day

more to the point, 2 nights / days with no kids !!

The brabazon is a nice course also the PGA national very good test of golf avoid the Derby course if u can , must also say the accommodation and food are excellent ,and the bar isn't cheap as normal on resort courses.
    cant disagree with you there, the Brabazon was superb and also the PGA national was very decent. The whole place is superb, well worth it if anyones thinking of doing a weekend, the girls seemed to love the spa as well.
  • Options
    Just back from a four day Golf trip to the Algarve. Played twice at San Lorenzo and one round at the beautiful and picturesque Vale Do Lobo Ocean course. The Ocean course is now in the top 3 courses I have played alongside the Alisa course at Turnberry and the Brabazon at the Belfry.

Great weather for the Middle of November with temperatures around 20c and only one spot of rain on the Friday for 20 minutes at the end of the round.

Good deals to be had at this time of year. 3 rounds, breakfast, 2 evening three course meals, stay at a 5 star hotel for £330.

To turn up and play at the Ocean course is 180 euros and San Lorenzo is 130 euros during November.

• Options
    Played Pedham 18 hole course last week. In pretty good condition, though I couldn't get the pace of the greens, alternating between falling agonisingly short and flying past the hole.
  • Options
    Played Addington Palace last week,lovely course,tight front 9,opens out into parkland back 9. Greens are beautiful,fast and true. Looking forward to playing it again soon :)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Just back from a four day Golf trip to the Algarve. Played twice at San Lorenzo and one round at the beautiful and picturesque Vale Do Lobo Ocean course. The Ocean course is now in the top 3 courses I have played alongside the Alisa course at Turnberry and the Brabazon at the Belfry.

Great weather for the Middle of November with temperatures around 20c and only one spot of rain on the Friday for 20 minutes at the end of the round.

Good deals to be had at this time of year. 3 rounds, breakfast, 2 evening three course meals, stay at a 5 star hotel for £330.

To turn up and play at the Ocean course is 180 euros and San Lorenzo is 130 euros during November.

Love San Lorenzo. Wish I was good enough to do it justice.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shirty5 said:

You're lucky mate. We had our annual week in the Algarve from 7 - 14 October and got absolutely soaked for 4 days running. Worst weather we've ever had. Still enjoyed it though!

Not played San Lorenzo but played monte Rei a couple of times and it is fabulous. The newly reopened Palmares is great too.
  • Options
    Palmares is my favourite course in Portugal. Love it down by the beach!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Anybody tried out the new driving range at Barnehurst yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone played Chestfield Golf Course near Herne Bay?Just moved to Herne Bay and looking to join a club for the first time as I can play weekly now and really fancy the whole club membership and competitions scene.
  • Options
    Chestfield Golf club have a good membership scheme at the moment, you can have a 3 month trial for £250.
    Well worth it. At the moment only 1 temporary green, but course very heavy with the recent rainfalls.
    Nice refreshment hut after the 12th, you can get tea, coffee, bacon sandwich etc.
  • Options
    Austin Lodge is closed, members moved on to Woodlands. Back to farmland again
  • Options

Played Addington Palace last week,lovely course,tight front 9,opens out into parkland back 9. Greens are beautiful,fast and true. Looking forward to playing it again soon :)

I was a member there for a while RVE. Never grew tired of playing it, always in great nick.

I played The Addington two weeks ago (the course above it/next door). Cracking course that gets better and better the further you get round. We got a deal from one of the golf offers websites for £40, which is a bargain.
  • Options
    Cheers for that Jensen,I've been looking on the Internet at courses near me and that certainly seems to be the best but haven't been out and looked at or played any yet
  • Options
    Can't believe Austin Lodge is closed I enjoyed playing there
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Can't believe Austin Lodge is closed I enjoyed playing there

Gents, when you say closed, is it closed for good?! I assumed it meant due to weather conditions! Blimey.
  • Options
    I don't know red murph just read thread killers comment but he did say it's back to farmland?!
  • Options
    Austin Lodge was put up for sale about 18 months ago as a going concern but didn't sell. Bought by a farmer apparently and is returning permanently to farmland.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

I was a member there for a while RVE. Never grew tired of playing it, always in great nick.

I played The Addington two weeks ago (the course above it/next door). Cracking course that gets better and better the further you get round. We got a deal from one of the golf offers websites for £40, which is a bargain.
    It's people like you that get great deals to play my course that make my £2,500 a year to be a member really painful! :-(

Still, glad you enjoyed it - it's in really good nick at the moment considering the weather. Cored and sanded the greens all year at the right times and we're starting to see the rewards now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Austin Lodge was put up for sale about 18 months ago as a going concern but didn't sell. Bought by a farmer apparently and is returning permanently to farmland.

What's happening to the members?
  • Options

so few of then the farmer is using them as scarecrows......
  • Options
    supaclive said:

red_murph said:

It's people like you that get great deals to play my course that make my £2,500 a year to be a member really painful! :-(

Still, glad you enjoyed it - it's in really good nick at the moment considering the weather. Cored and sanded the greens all year at the right times and we're starting to see the rewards now.

we played it in torrential rain if that makes you feel any better Supaclive, oh and I slipped on one of the wooden bridges and fell on my arse ;)

Seems a lot of money for a years membership though.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Yes RM,have had the pleasure of playing The Addington 3 or 4 times in the last year or so and have enjoyed it every time. For 2 courses 'next door' to each other they feel completely different and are both equally outstanding. I'm very lucky to have these two tracks virtually on my doorstep :)
  • Options
    red_murph said:

supaclive said:

red_murph said:

we played it in torrential rain if that makes you feel any better Supaclive, oh and I slipped on one of the wooden bridges and fell on my arse ;)

Seems a lot of money for a years membership though.
    You need some better shoes ;-)

I do play at least once a week and it's less than 3 miles from my house, so it's ok on reflection for the standard of course and flexibility of teeing off pretty much any time I want to.

• Options

Think they've been offered some sort of deal at Woodlands Manor.
  • Options

Austin Lodge is closed, members moved on to Woodlands. Back to farmland again

Better off as farmland what a shithole.
  • Options
    Played Austin Lodge a few months ago after a long absence and wasn't impressed. Makes sense now if this was on the cards.

Doing a bit of digging i can see it was up for sale as a golf course in 2012 for £1.8m (i presume no takers) and the land is shown 279 acres

http://docs.novaloca.com/26_4229_634837384784220000.pdf

then recently is was up for sale again at £1.2m, but the acreage seems to have dropped to 235 acres.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31758876.html
  • Options
    Gutted about Austin Lodge. Been a member up there for 2/3 years and will miss the place immensely. (how anyone can call it a shithole must play at Wentworth every week)
    What i wont miss is the feeling of uttter exhaustion after each round. We have moved over to Woodlands as the offer was unmissable and after 3 rounds we're quite happy there. Just a shame the wet weather lately has meant we have yet to play it in the best condition but it shows promise An initial round of 77 helped although followed by an 85 & 89........ not so good!
    Regarding the acreage discrepancy i believe that the Club House and surrounding area are not part of the deal and expect the owner to build on it Could be quite profitable!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Gutted about Austin Lodge. Been a member up there for 2/3 years and will miss the place immensely. (how anyone can call it a shithole must play at Wentworth every week)
    What i wont miss is the feeling of uttter exhaustion after each round. We have moved over to Woodlands as the offer was unmissable and after 3 rounds we're quite happy there. Just a shame the wet weather lately has meant we have yet to play it in the best condition but it shows promise An initial round of 77 helped although followed by an 85 & 89........ not so good!
    Regarding the acreage discrepancy i believe that the Club House and surrounding area are not part of the deal and expect the owner to build on it Could be quite profitable!

May I ask what deal they offered you?And was it a austin lodge members special deal?