Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golf

Comments

• Need some new clubs - 20-25 handicap - any recommendations?
  • James. Full adult membership is £1160 per year. There are scaled entry points if you are under 30. There is a reduced joining fee of £500 which can be spread over 5 years and a £50 loading on your bar card. It can all be paid monthly and works out at around £120 per month. You get unlimited golf at any time (we don't operate start times other than for major competitions) and 20% off all bar and food purchases with your bar card. Good resident professional shop and a half way hut doing hot rolls and snacks. If you fancy the open day could you give Matt or Liz a call in the office on 01322 226455 so that we have an idea of numbers. I'll be there so give me a shout. I'm the good looking Scottish guy with specs.

PS. Good Addick community at the club. The captain is a fan and there are 3 ST holders on the board including me.

PPS. If you ore any other lifers can't make the open day but want a look round at another time just drop me a PM

Thanks for info - bit too expensive for me though
  • hi, some advice please.

i want to play somewhere close to Midhurst, Surrey as going to visit that town during my summer holiday.

i have been looking at Cowdray Park, with the possibility of staying at the hotel there. does anyone have any feedback on that course?

i am not very good as only been playing 2 years. any suggestions for somewhere to play near Midhurst which isnt outrageously demanding would be very greatfully received. thank you.

Still working through this thread so you may have received a full reply but Midhurst is a lovely private members course which is in great condition. Would suggest that you check with the club if you plan to play at the weekend in order to avoid disappointment.

Dale Hill is good but must be 1.5 hour drive from Midhurst!
  • Just back from Portugal and played San Lorenzo. I have played all over the world and some of the best courses available but this is something else. Very expensive but made Vale de Lobo look like a public course. Can't wait to go back.
  • masicat said:

Just back from Portugal and played San Lorenzo. I have played all over the world and some of the best courses available but this is something else. Very expensive but made Vale de Lobo look like a public course. Can't wait to go back.

Have you tried Royal Obidos? I'm staying near there for a few weeks soon and they have offered a good package. Would be interested to know what anyone's experience of it is.

• masicat said:

Just back from Portugal and played San Lorenzo. I have played all over the world and some of the best courses available but this is something else. Very expensive but made Vale de Lobo look like a public course. Can't wait to go back.

Have you tried Royal Obidos? I'm staying near there for a few weeks soon and they have offered a good package. Would be interested to know what anyone's experience of it is.

I haven't but it looks superb.
  • masicat said:

masicat said:

Not been fortunate enough to play either of those two yet but have played Monte Rei a couple of times and it is utterly superb. Expensive but worth it. The recently reopened and remodelled Palmares is also superb although the facilities are not yet up to full standard
  • Dropped a fella off at The Addington this morning.......very jealous, what a great course that is!
  • Jensenwasclass cheers for that and will certainly keep that in mind,hope to be exchanging contracts on new property this Friday so will be looking at some of these courses within the next few weeks
  • Looks like I'm playing Southern Valley with @RedPanda‌ next weekend :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Played Langley Park this morning. Very long and in superb nick.
  • Just a bit out of area!! Played Wychwood Park, Cheshire on Wednesday for the first time this year - if any of you get up this way then it's well worth a visit.
  • masicat said:

Played Langley Park this morning. Very long and in superb nick.

playing there next friday weather had better stay fine !

• masicat said:

That is one tough course. Used to be an open qualifier.
    No par 5s but quite a few holes that are 430+, some so tight that you need a driver to get a 2nd shot in but if you ain't 10 yards either side of straight you may as well scratch the hole.

Sadistically enjoyable.
  • edited May 2014
    masicat said:

masicat said:

Have not played Royal Obidos but have played Praia D'El Rey which is also near by and a fantastic layout of two nines, one of which runs alongside the Atlantic Ocean and the other nine comes back through Olive Groves.
  • Played BurHill old course near Hersham on Thursday -wow what a layout and not for the feint hearted! Just under 7000 yards and yellow tee boxes were just 5 yards in front of the whites with the lady's tees only about 20 yards shorter.
    Besutiful course in fantastic condition but I've never played such quick greens in my life - they made Addington Palace greens look like shaggy carpets.
    Recommend you play it at least once in order to get an idea of what it's like to play on a pro set up course. Every par 4 appeared to be 440 yards long!
    It made me v humble ;-))))
  • Played Addington Court today - not bad for £20. Green good, fairways average, rough punishing!
  • Played Beckenham Park Place today - green were in terrible condition - not worth the £26 we paid.

Can't seem to improve my handicap - every time I think I'm getting there I'll always have one or two holes where I'll hit a 7/8. So frustrating!!!
  • edited May 2014
    jamescafc said:

Played Addington Court today - not bad for £20. Green good, fairways average, rough punishing!

Play there once a year on a golf day, and a few times with mates who like it (because it's cheap). Not my favourite course, but decent value - though slow as old Harry if you're stuck there on a busy day. Also had awful experiences there with the greens. Do NOT make the mistake of playing the other one across the road (the 'Falconwood' course). What a grim shithole that is.
  • I played at birchwood this morning that had 5 temp tee boxes (wouldn't even call them that). To play a course in May with temps is shocking, it's the month of golf!!!

£30 my ar$e
  • Sponsored links:

• Due to an impending deadline of club championship being restricted to Category 2 and below golfers (handicap no more than 12) I got the kick up the arse I required and have dropped from 14.5 to 11.8 in three competition rounds over the last two weeks. First time in my life I was given a real focus for my handicap - if only I could bottle the feeling of determination I've had for the last three rounds!
  • Played Birchwood again at weekend...still got temp tees!!

On a bright side broke my record score and shot a 79!
  • Still got temp tees?! In June? In this weather?! Heavens above!
  • Played a week in Turkey last week.

Beautiful courses, though the National was ridiculous. The Sultan was probably the best.

If anyone is thinking of doing it we used Bilyana and would recomend.
  • masicat said:

That is one tough course. Used to be an open qualifier.
    No par 5s but quite a few holes that are 430+, some so tight that you need a driver to get a 2nd shot in but if you ain't 10 yards either side of straight you may as well scratch the hole.

Sadistically enjoyable.
    What a lovely course ...superb condition i am afraid my high handicap golf didnt do it justice

if you are mid handicap or below i think youd enjoy ...the course is too good for me !

• edited June 2014
    I don't like Langley, just find it a boring course. Can play very long, very good greens and a nice clubhouse. I like the par 3 before you cross back over the road, the green is pure evil, but the other holes are just so samey
  • Only played Langley Park once - it is long and it can play tough, but as Threadkiller says, it's a bit samey.

It's just as local to me as The Addington and Addington Palace, the first I'm a member at, the second I quite enjoy too.
  • edited September 2014
    my 40th next week and just found out the missus is taking me to the Belfry tomorrow for 2 nights, as her sister is also 30 next week, her and brother in law also coming, so golf for us lads and spa for the ladies.

Never played the Belfry but can't wait now, nice surprise!, she even booked me out the office for the day

more to the point, 2 nights / days with no kids !!
  • my 40th next week and just found out the missus is taking me to the Belfry tomorrow for 2 nights, as her sister is also 30 next week, her and brother in law also coming, so golf for us lads and spa for the ladies.

Never played the Belfry but can't wait now, nice surprise!, she even booked me out the office for the day

more to the point, 2 nights / days with no kids !!

The brabazon is a nice course also the PGA national very good test of golf avoid the Derby course if u can , must also say the accommodation and food are excellent ,and the bar isn't cheap as normal on resort courses.