Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

gay footballers

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
the fact that not one single gay footballer has came out the closet apart from john fashanu is astounding and worrying there has been a lot of work done to stop racism in the game and despite the recent storys involving suarez and terry there has been a lot of progress. However there has been basically no work done to stop homophobia in football more than other sports such as cricket and rugby where 2 high profile players have came out publicly.
why is it you think no footballers have come out

Comments

• Options
    to busy playing in league cup semi finals...
  • Options
    Well the only player who come out was Fashanu, and nothing good came of it back then, look what happened to him. Maybe people are scared from what happened to him? Even though times are so different.
    Even though he has a wife and 2 kids?

• Options
    the fact that not one single gay footballer has came out the closet apart from john fashanu is astounding and worrying there has been a lot of work done to stop racism in the game and despite the recent storys involving suarez and terry there has been a lot of progress. However there has been basically no work done to stop homophobia in football more than other sports such as cricket and rugby where 2 high profile players have came out publicly.

Could be there are none
  • Options
    maybe because its none of our buisness?
  • Options
    paul o'grady has kids. ;-)
  • Options
    Maybe there aren't any.

And it was Justin, not John. Awooga.
  • Options
    Mario Gomez at Bayern is openly gay.
  • Options
    Make you right -
  • Options

Could be there are none
    max clifford has admitted to having two high profile gay footballers amongst his clients
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    maybe gay people arent that good at football.
    which if using that logic makes me think over the last few years most of our squad has been that way inclined.
  • Options
    Make you right -
    what ? That makes no sense.
  • Options
    he urged gay footballers to openly admit they are gay, he has never commented on his own sexuality.

• Options
    Clifford has given assistance to clients who wish to conceal their sexual orientationfrom the public. Clifford claimed that he has been approached twice by major football clubs to help make players present a "straight" image. In an interview with Pink News reported on 5 August 2009, Clifford said that if a gayfootball player came out, his career would be over: “To my knowledge there is only one top-flight professional gay footballer who came out - Justin Fashanu. He ended up committing suicide. I have been advising a top premiership star who is bisexual. If it came out that he had gay tendencies, his career would be over in two minutes. Should it be? No, but if you go on the terraces and hear the way fans are, and also, that kind of general attitude that goes with football, it’s almost like going back to the dark ages.”Clifford has said so far none of his clients have been outed.
    In December 2009, he told The Independent on Sundaythat he has represented two high-profile gay Premier Leaguefootballers in the past five years and has advised them to stay in the closet because football "remains in the dark ages, steeped in homophobia

do u agree with him?
  • Options
    Well the only player who come out was Fashanu, and nothing good came of it back then, look what happened to him. Maybe people are scared from what happened to him? Even though times are so different.
    Even though he has a wife and 2 kids?

I can confirm that this is true! He does have a wife and two kids
  • Options
    Was it ibrahimovic who was in love with a madrid footballer and had to leave
    I'm sure there were photos about .... I can't remember the two players involved but think he was one of em
  • Options
    Clifford has given assistance to clients who wish to conceal their sexual orientationfrom the public. Clifford claimed that he has been approached twice by major football clubs to help make players present a "straight" image. In an interview with Pink News reported on 5 August 2009, Clifford said that if a gayfootball player came out, his career would be over: “To my knowledge there is only one top-flight professional gay footballer who came out - Justin Fashanu. He ended up committing suicide. I have been advising a top premiership star who is bisexual. If it came out that he had gay tendencies, his career would be over in two minutes. Should it be? No, but if you go on the terraces and hear the way fans are, and also, that kind of general attitude that goes with football, it’s almost like going back to the dark ages.”Clifford has said so far none of his clients have been outed.
    In December 2009, he told The Independent on Sundaythat he has represented two high-profile gay Premier Leaguefootballers in the past five years and has advised them to stay in the closet because football "remains in the dark ages, steeped in homophobia

do u agree with him?
    It's not often that I agree with Clifford but I think he's spot on.

• Options
    pique ex man utd.
  • Options
    Are Giggs and Ashley Cole in Cliffords 'camp'? - Anyway, footballers coming out would take the focus off of racism in football and society in general which seems to be the hot topic at the moment and obviously the most serious thing ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you find it worrying.............you aint got any worrys.
  • Options
    Are Giggs and Ashley Cole in Cliffords 'camp'? - Anyway, footballers coming out would take the focus off of racism in football and society in general which seems to be the hot topic at the moment and obviously the most serious thing ever.
    Heaven knows what sort of a mess Hansen would get in talking about it on MotD.

• Options
    I think there's gay footballers but they are to scared to admit it.
    You can imagine the stigma there is in a group of football players, its like a being back at school. same sort of mentality.
    we see how alot of these players act in the papers, their private lives and we all know from watching all the interviews these footballers are not the smartest and probably not the most open minded of people.
    Then of course the tabloids are about as accepting as the rest of the players. So you got them to deal with never mind the morons in the stands who again prey on any little detail of an opposing player to 'wind up'.

for example....

oh and pique, isent he going out with shakira? i know she has a bit of a manly voice, but still.
  • Options
    You muppets!!! ;-) ....it was Justin not John!!!!!
  • Options
    Not true. Just saying in the meida that people should admit their sexuality openly doesn't make him 'openly gay'. In fact, it doesn't make him gay at all.
  • Options
    Pique's with Shakira !
  • Options
    Maybe there aren't any.

And it was Justin, not John. Awooga.
    Just seen this!! Awooga....eh
  • Options
    I didn't watch that Video above but John Fashanu wasn't queer, His brother Justin was. Fact!
  • Options
    Heaven knows what sort of a mess Hansen would get in talking about it on MotD.

spot on - plus Lawrenson would be squirming in his seat, so to speak.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That photo of Ibrahimovic and Pique is hilarious. Shakira may be a crap singer, but she's a good-looking girl, and whilst Pique certainly looks metrosexual enough to be bisexual, I've done the gaydar thing with a couple of queer mates - neither of them got a ping from Ibrahimovic. the reason Ibra left Barca is because he was shite.