Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Murphy

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Having been a Charlton fan for 50 years,My proudest time was when we were top of the Premier League ,as I recall we had barely been out of the top three going into November [poss 2005 ?],For those of you that have short memories or maybe just weren't around a certain Danny Murphy was largely responsible as the playmaker for the awsome Darren Bent,Murphy's through balls for the lightening quick Bent accounted for the majority of the goals that put us in that position [until the rest of the Premiership rumbled that partnership].Whatever followed does not deserve such abuse...sorry I just dont get it ? He is a bit of a lightweight and loves nothing more than showboating when destroying the opposition and has no fight when chasing a game but I will dine out forever on the weeks Charlton Athletic were truly 'Top of the League' thanks to the class of Danny Murphy....

Comments

• Did he not go on strike to force a move away to Spurs?
  • He can play as many passes as he wants. Slagged us off when he left, clearly felt we were beneath him. His wife also slagged us off.

So he got a bit of stick? Boo hoo. Get over it.

He was far from the fulcrum of that side. I remember a player who could only play in a 3 because he was light weight and lazy.
  • Thank you Mrs Murphy.
  • Don't forget Kishishev and the russian midfielder who I have forgotten,despite having a picture somewhere of his naked wife.

However, whatever thanks we may give to Danny Murphy for his part in that triumvirate it does not make up for the way he left this club, how he slatted the club,curbs and us the fans. I also understand that when he was at the club he was an obnoxious billy big whatsits and was rude to the every day admin and catering staff.

I don't boo and and I don't chant at former players but on Saturday I did, with relish.
  • Smertin.
  • @kap. Alexi Smertin.
  • edited January 2012
    @clem_snide @plaaayer it was on the tip of my tongue but kept on coming out as simonsen
  • Smertin.
    Bless you
  • Sort of player who looks great when his team are on top and have lots of possession. Absolute garbage when you're up against it and need people to work hard for the cause.

Mate of mine calls him a "coward". I'll go with that.
  • Have you ever met him though off_it?
  • Sponsored links:

• No. But someone I know did when he was on holiday (with his missus). Said he came across ok.

Can't for the life of me remember who it was now.
  • Sort of player who looks great when his team are on top and have lots of possession. Absolute garbage when you're up against it and need people to work hard for the cause.

Mate of mine calls him a "coward". I'll go with that.
    I'd agree with this. Did very little when he joined, was very good for a few months and then threw his toys out the pram when we hit a bad patch and was rightly dropped. Then slagged off the club.

No respect for him.
  • Don't forget Kishishev and the russian midfielder who I have forgotten,despite having a picture somewhere of his naked wife.
    However, whatever thanks we may give to Danny Murphy for his part in that triumvirate it does not make up for the way he left this club, how he slatted the club,curbs and us the fans. I also understand that when he was at the club he was an obnoxious billy big whatsits and was rude to the every day admin and catering staff.

I don't boo and and I don't chant at former players but on Saturday I did, with relish.
    Who cares about Murphy, can we see the picture of Smertins naked wife ?
  • Where was he on Saturday? When the pressure on him to play what did he do? He took a couple of early corners then hide until he was taken off.
    It was his time to shut us all up, show us what we missed etc, yet he bottled it!!
  • Thank you. There seems to be a trend of just booing any ex player which not only is usually pointless but makes it less meaningful for when eg. Scott Parker comes back. I applaud(ed) most former players except for a couple, the above mentioned Jew and Andy Todd off the top of my head.
  • Whaaaat?
  • the above mentioned Jew .
    nice

• , the above mentioned Jew and
    I'm hoping that comment is a typing mistake if not change it ASAP
  • the above mentioned Jew .
    nice

Shock you're the first to respond. Yawn. Don't even normally say things like that but people say far worse.

• Jew
    cheers for that. Charming.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2012
    the above mentioned Jew
    Are you for real?

• JaShea99 said:

the above mentioned Jew

How depressing that after all that has been said on this board in recent weeks we end up with this.
  • Have I missed something? Just to fill anyone in, Spurs players/fans are traditionally referred to as Jews/Yids as a result of the part of London their ground is in which is over represented by Jewish people...
  • Have I missed something? Just to fill anyone in, Spurs players/fans are traditionally referred to as Jews/Yids as a result of the part of London their ground is in which is over represented by Jewish people...
    They refer to themselves as yids. Not jews. Calling some one a jew like that is offensive and racist.

Before you call me a PC nut, I'm jewish, and found that comment offensive.

Just apologise/edit remark, don't be a clot and try and defend yourself.
  • I aint a PC type person, but I was shocked at that comment. Plain stupid. Simple!
  • Right...not doing this again. No thanks. Feel free to discuss this all night (and probably 2mro as well) but I'm having no part of it.
  • It's anti-semitic @JaShea99. You have used the term 'Jew' with racist connotations and implied that being Jewish should be seen as a negative. Quite frankly its disgusting that you think its acceptable to say that. Maybe you should have paid more attention in history class.
  • Right...not doing this again. No thanks. Feel free to discuss this all night (and probably 2mro as well) but I'm having no part of it.
    Neither am i, you're an idiot. Thread finished? Yep.
  • I got the feeling Charlton were starting to unravel at that time which culminated in Curbs leaving and us getting relegated. I think Murphy and Smertin were caught in the middle of that and I seem to remember comments from Smertin after he left questioning how ambitious we were. Personally, I thought Murphy was a class act on the field and, in my opinion, a lot went on behind the scenes we didn't know about. He seems to have been pretty loyal to Fulham since then who, let's face it, are really no more glamorous than we are (or were).
  • Didn't hear a 'sorry for offending you' in any of that..