Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• 28th March

1998: Charlton 4 (Bright, Mortimer, Mendonca, Kinsella) Nottingham Forest 2. Forest's two goals were the last that Charlton would concede until the play-off final that season. Seven consecutive clean sheets in the league followed by two in the play offs.
    that is amazing considering how pony a goalie ilic was .... he just had a run of a lifetime and could do no wrong
  • edited March 2012
    29th March

1947: Charlton beat Newcastle 4-0 in the FA Cup Semi Final (Dawson, Welsh 2, Hurst) http://www.britishpathe.com/video/burnley-v-liverpool-charlton-v-newcastle I believe that our match starts from about 1.35, but it's a little difficult to tell. Well worth watching though. Apart from the four goals there's a couple of great saves from Sam Bartram and a goal-line clearance, (I think) from Peter Croker.
    1986: Jim Melrose scores on his debut, a 2-2 draw at the Den. George Shipley gets the second.
    1987: Full Members Cup final v Blackburn at Wembley.
    2000: Cov 2 Charlton 3 (Robinson, Newton, Hunt) Rare victory in the 5th round of the cup.
  • 1987: Charlton beat Norwich in the SF of the Full Members' Cup to reach their first Wembley final for 40 years. Rosario gave Norwich the lead in the 89th minute, but Walsh equalised in injury time. Three minutes into extra time a Butterworth o.g. Wins it for The Addicks.

25 years ago ..... i feel so so old... i feel as old as nicholas looks
    In front of just over 5000 fans at Sellout with a goodly contingent of Norwich there.......cue 8000 lifers claiming to have been there ;-)

Me and my mate were there, and we had an Arsenal fan with us too who caught the ball twice when it went behind the goal at the Sainsbury End.

Bloody cold too, and was a little disappointed when we equalised !!!

• 30th March

1969: Carl Leaburn born. Charlton's 13th greatest goalscorer with 66 and also 13th in the list for most appearances 323(53). Divides opinions on here considerably.
  • 31st March

1980: Andy Nelson's managerial contract terminated.
    1988: Hogan Ephraim born.
    1990: Scott Wagstaff born.
  • edited April 2012
    1st April

1970: Theo Foley appointed manager.
    2001: Wonder goal by Shaun Bartlett against Leicester. Charlton won 2-0, Andy Todd getting the other goal. Bartlett's goal was later voted Match of the Day's Goal of the Season, ahead of efforts by Thierry Henry and Mario Stanic.
    Unfortunately those oh-so-precious people that run the Premier League have had his goal removed from youtube to the best thing I could find was this diagram:
    2002: Three alternative badges suggested in the matchday programme. Was this the best Charlton based April Fools joke ever?
    imageimageimage
  • 2nd April

1989: Fans clean-up operation at The Valley in preparation for return.
    1991: Planning meeting at Woolwich town hall votes 17-1 in favour of Charlton's application to return to The Valley.
    1994: Opening of the new East Stand with 5,700 seats. Charlton beat Southend 4-3 (Pardew 2, Gorman, Leaburn).
  • 3rd April

1898: Ernie Watkins born. Never heard of him? Neither had I, but he scored 6 goals for us in 16 games before retiring with a damaged knee in 1932. He's probably more famous amongst Brentford supporters, where he scored 55 goals in 120 appearances.
  • edited April 2012
    4th April

2009: Jonjo Shelvey scored his first league goal for us as we beat Southampton 3-2. Racon and Bailey got our others. BWP scored for the Saints.
  • 2nd April

1991: Planning meeting at Woolwich town hall votes 17-1 in favour of Charlton's application to return to The Valley.

Who was the one?

We need to know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sukhdev Sanghara
  • 5th April

1999: West Ham 0 Charlton 1 (Stuart)
    2008: Nicky Weaver sent off in the 3rd minute against Plymouth at Home Park (a club record). Elliot made his debut as Weaver's replacement. Charlton went on to win 2-1 (Lita 2) after going a goal down.
  • 6th April

1929: Jack Horton became the first player to score exactly four goals in a match for Charlton as The Addicks won 5-2 away to Fulham. This feat wasn't a club record though as Wilson Lennox, who got the other goal in this match, had already bettered it by putting five past Exeter that season. In all Horton scored 56 goals in 272 appearances for Charlton, playing on the left wing. Forward, Lennox scored 44 from 78.

• 7th April

1998: Charlton 1 Wolves 0 (Mendonca)
  • 8th April

1977: Beating Millwall in the Snow at home 3-2 (Flanagan, Peacock pen, McAuley)
    2000: Yellow shirts everywhere and free transport to Nottingham. Andy Hunt played up front and scored just before half time only for Chris Bart-Williams to spoil the party by equalising for Forest 10 mins from time.
  • 9th April

We have won 5 times in this day. On each occasion we scored 2 goals. Place your bets now.

1997: Our most recent victory on this day. Shaun Newton scored in the last minute to give us a 2-1 victory over Huddersfield. This after they had played with 10 men for best part of an hour. Newton got our first goal too.
  • 9th April

We have won 5 times in this day. On each occasion we scored 2 goals. Place your bets now.

1997: Our most recent victory on this day. Shaun Newton scored in the last minute to give us a 2-1 victory over Huddersfield. This after they had played with 10 men for best part of an hour. Newton got our first goal too.
    The winner was a ridiculous 20 yard header as I remember. We'd been playing about with the formation and set it up with one up front with Mark Robson playing in the "hole". For some reason this night Brendan O'Connell was in the orifice, and the net effect was less than stunnning, huffing and puffing against 10 men and getting nowhere fast.

It was a bit like the game at Maine Road in 1985, in that if you had said this lot would be going for the top division this time next year, people would have declined to make eye contact and quitely moved away.
  • 10th April

1998: Charlton 3 Reading 0 (Mendonca, Mortimer, Bright). Mendonca became the first Charlton player for over 20 seasons to score 20 league goals in a season. The points tally after this match was 78 from 42. This was a club record at the time but it's not quite 91 from 42 , is it?
  • 11th April

1937: Charlton beat France 5-2 (Hobbis, Tadman 2, Welsh 2) at the Parc des Princes, Paris.
    1977: Charlton 4 Chelsea 0 (Flanagan 3, McAuley) – disgruntled Chelsea fans invade the pitch and light fires on the terraces.
  • I remember fires at both ends of the ground & wrecking the Valley Club & Harvey Gardens turnstyles.
    But I don't remember them invading the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember fires at both ends of the ground & wrecking the Valley Club & Harvey Gardens turnstyles.
    Had some nice new brick built ones after that I think.
  • edited April 2012
    I remember fires at both ends of the ground & wrecking the Valley Club & Harvey Gardens turnstyles.
    Cheers CE. I wasn't there, so am only reporting what I've read. I got this from Richard Redden's book: 'The rampage started when Charlton were 3-0 ahead. The Chelsea fans chanted: "We're worse than Manchester United," and hundreds of them invaded the pitch trying to get the game stopped...'
  • Do you know what Stig. If Richard Redden said it happened, then I'm sure it did. I kind of remember it now, I think.
  • 12th April

2004: Shaun Bartlett scores the winner for Charlton at Anfield, to complete a double victory over the scousers.
  • 13th April

1998: 3,500 Charlton fans get free travel to Port Vale to watch a 1-0 victory (Mendonca pen). Was this the last time we won on an operation day?
    2010: Nicky Forster scored one of his two Addicks goals as we beat Colchester 1-0. He is now player-manager at Dover.
  • Hey Stig - wish I'd known you were planning to do this - then you could have helped me with my book - would have made my task soooooo much easier.
  • Hi Matt, I'm looking forward to reading your book. I've promised myself not to look at it until I've finished this. I've still got loads of blank dates for the dark days of the summer though; it'll be really interesting to see how you did with those.
  • Wasn't easy in places Stig I have to admit - and I recall June 27th being particularly uneventful. You've come up with some corkers though which I wish I'd had. Follow up 'Miscellany' out later this year - in some ways that's been even more difficult.
  • Excellent news - the difficult second album as they say. I look forward to it.
  • 14th April

1923: Charlton 6 (Steele, Castle, Whalley, Miller 3) – Notts County 0
    2012: Charlton notch up a hat-trick of promotions at Brunton Park! :-)