Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• Options
    20th January

1964: Simon Webster born.
    1991: Chris Solly born.
    1996: Charlton 4 West Brom 1 (Robinson 2, Stuart, Mortimer p)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Chris Solly born the year before we got back to The Valley. Not alive throughout our Selhurst days. God I feel even older.
  • Options
    21st January

1989: We beat Newcastle. Was this our best drop-kick ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6E1y-Y8A50
  • Options
    Blimey, Newcastle crowd almost as MASSIVE as sheff.Weds !
  • Options
    22nd January

1914: Sam Bartram born. In all he would play 701 games for Charlton. Sadly, because of the war, many of these do not count on the official record.
    2003: Charlton players score all six goals as we beat West Ham 4-2. Jensen, Parker 2 and Kish for us. Rufus and Fish for them.
  • Options
    23rd January

1981: Fulham knocked out of the cup with a 2-1, 4th round victory at Craven Cottage (Shaw, Hales)
    2007: Ben Thatcher's debut.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    24th January

1891: Albert Lindon born: Charlton's first ever player manager. At 16 stone, he remains Charlton's heaviest ever player, despite Nicky Weaver's best efforts. What other Fat Addicks do you remember?
    2011: Bradley Wright Phillips decides that he'd like to be better than Shaun, so he signs for Charlton to pursue this dream. http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2275512,00.html
  • Options
    25th January

1947: Charlton beat West Brom 2-1 on their way to a cup final
    1950: Bob Curtis born. 372 Appearances and 37 goals for The Addicks.
  • Options
    What other Fat Addicks do you remember?

Pete Garland? Jimmy floyd hassle-bank
  • Options
    I don't think Steve Brown won any prizes for slimming either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    26th January

1976: Terry Young signs for Charlton on a free from Man Utd.
  • Options
    26th January

1976: Terry Young signs for Charlton on a free from Man Utd.
    Tony Young surely ?
  • Options
    Seems to have been known as Tony, but is given in official sources (V500 & Handbook) as Young (Terence Anthony). I just made the "Terry" up.
  • Options
    4th January

1947: Frank Lock makes his first of 230 appearances for the club against Man Utd at Maine Road.
    2003: Charlton beat Exeter 3-1 in the third round of the FA Cup.
    2011: Parky sacked.
    What a great day in Charltons history, new owners make their mark !!!!
  • Options
    27th January

2001: Charlton beat Dagenham at the second attempt. Newton in extra time.
  • Options
    27th January

2001: Charlton beat Dagenham at the second attempt. Newton in extra time.
    Thought it was the 4th or 5th attempt (including postponements.......)

• Options
    27th January - Charlton end 19 game winless streak by beating Crystal Palace 1-0. Matt Spring with the goal.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    28th January

1998: Mike Salmon ends his ten year career for Charlton after twisting his knee ligaments in a collision with the post during a 2-2 draw at Maine Road. He had made 175 first team appearances for The Addicks. Steve Jones, who came on in place of Salmon, got both of our goals on the day whilst Steve Brown played in Goal.
  • Options
    29th January

1966: John Hewie played is 530th and final game for the club.
    2000: Coventry 2 Charlton 3 (Robinson, Newton, Hunt). Pretty good comeback from 2-0 down against a team a division higher.
  • Options
    30th January

1982: Matt Taylor born.
    1984: Inland Revenue requests a winding up order. Unpaid taxes total £108k. For anyone hoping that Pompey are wound up in the courts. It's worth remembering how much trouble we've had before in meeting our tax obligations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    31st January

1961: John Humphrey born. 267 appearances, 4 goals. Ever present and Player of the Year for three successive seasons between 1987 and 1990.
    1980: Gary Doherty born - yes he really is less than 2 years older than Matt Taylor.
    1981: First ever match with a shirt sponsor, “FADS”. £40k for a 2.5 year deal. Drew 1-1 at home to Plymouth.
  • Options
    Cheers Stig, but i have to ask i really have to ask why do you like wasps?
  • Options
    Because they make such good house pets ;-)
  • Options
    I want one of those cameras
    'the FUL-VUE has the precision of cameras hitherto costing much more.'

When was the last time you heard anyone use the word hitherto, lol. Actually, what does hitherto mean?
  • Options
    31st January

1961: John Humphrey born. 267 appearances, 4 goals. Ever present and Player of the Year for three successive seasons between 1987 and 1990.
    1980: Gary Doherty born - yes he really is less than 2 years older than Matt Taylor.
    1981: First ever match with a shirt sponsor, “FADS”. £40k for a 2.5 year deal. Drew 1-1 at home to Plymouth.
    Happy birthday Johnnie H.

Legend!
  • Options
    FADS, FADS ,F-A-D-S ,FADS
    I remember there being one in eltham near the old 'spastic' charity shop/midland bank ,opposite The Crown was it ?
    Were FADS a big national company or just a local firm and are they still going/what become of them

I can see the "adidas" kit with FADS as sponsors in my head , did Simmo where it and was it a slightly moody shade of red that was a bit like the colour of blackpools current kit or is that just my memory that's faded
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Archer_(businessman) , FADS had 450 stores in 2002. I can't remember seeing them around that late though, I thought FADS was another one of our sponsorship failures. I can remember that there was one where I lived on Canvey Island at the time they sponsored us.

• Options
    According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Archer_(businessman) , FADS had 450 stores in 2002. I can't remember seeing them around that late though, I thought FADS was another one of our sponsorship failures. I can remember that there was one where I lived on Canvey Island at the time they sponsored us.

By the Bingo?
  • Options
    A bit further up the road Matt. In the Knightswick centre; opposite the post office. I believe it was the same spot that Martin's newsagent had (must have been cursed). The big shop near the cinema was Claxtons.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I can see the "adidas" kit with FADS as sponsors in my head , did Simmo where it and was it a slightly moody shade of red that was a bit like the colour of blackpools current kit or is that just my memory that's faded

This is the first one, the following season it had pinstripes. See them all here:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Charlton_Athletic/Charlton_Athletic.htm