Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• 4th June

1916: Bert Johnson born. 162 Games for Charlton including 2 FA Cup finals.
    2006: Elton John plays live at The Valley. It is not believed to have reached 120db, but the stage did weigh 120 tonnes. John fans with more money than sense and moderate googling skills can now buy a bootleg CD single of Summer in the City from this gig for just $14US.
  • 4th June

1916: Bert Johnson born. 162 Games for Charlton including 2 FA Cup finals.
    2006: Elton John plays live at The Valley. It is not believed to have reached 120db, but the stage did weigh 120 tonnes. John fans with more money than sense and moderate googling skills can now buy a bootleg CD single of Summer in the City from this gig for just $14US.
    My wife memory of the gig was a woman, VERY worse for wear, throwing up into her handbag. Hope she didn't have her house keys in there!

My memory is getting my wife to take a picture of me and two of my brothers 'running' out of the players tunnel :)

• I think I prefer your memory to your wife's ;-)
  • 5th June

1919: Charlie Revell born. Played in every position except goalkeeper in a 12 year stint at the club. The official records underestimate his service considerably as he played over 100 matches and scored 82 goals during the war, including two goals in the war cup final against Chelsea.
  • edited June 2012
    6th June

1931: Thomas Wilson re-signs from Cardiff. He lasted just one season, mainly at centre-half, with Charlton. In his previous two seasons he'd been a centre forward. Was forced to retire a few years later after losing an eye whilst playing for Southend Reserves
    1999: Danny Mills is called up to the England squad to face Kish's Bulgaria on 9th June. In the event he didn't even make the subs bench and would have to wait nearly two more years to make and England appearance. Within 10 days though, he'd been sold to Leeds.
    2011: Peter Varney tells in a Radio Kent interview how close the club had come to administration. Spelling out the consequences he said, "We wouldn't have stayed up, we wouldn't have got Bradley Wright-Phillips, players would have left and we would be in League Two."

• edited June 2012
    7th June

1946: Charlton 7 Allmänna Idrottsklubben 7 (after Charlton were 7-1 up)
    1957: Charlton forward Mickey Stewart creates a world record whilst playing cricket for Surrey: The first outfield player to take seven catches in an innings. This has since been equalled by Tony Brown and Rikki Clarke. http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/154590.html

• 8th June

1936: Len Williams signs for £350 from Aldershot. After just three games, he moved back on a free transfer.
    1967: Paul Went signs for £24,250 from Orient. 16 Goals in 178 games played in several positions.

• edited June 2012
    9th June

1905: Inaugural meeting in West (now Westmoor) Street.

1937: Calgary 1 Charlton 12
    2005: Statue of Sam Bartram unveiled.

• 10th June

1932: Cyril Pearce signed for £2,250. He went on to score and incredible 55 goals in 75 games.
    1984: Nicky Bailey born. POTY in 2009 and top scorer in that relegation season with 13. Mostly though, I suspect he will be remembered for this:

2008: Mark Kinsella's position as reserve-team manager extended. He subsequently became First Team Coach, before getting the push along with Parky. He is now manager of Daventry town.

• 11th June

1899: John Devine born. He played just 20 games for us before leaving as a result of abuse from fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2012
    12th June

1990: Three-times player of the year, John Humphrey leaves for Palace. £380k cash plus discharge of Charlton's £70k maintenance bill at Sellhurst.
  • 13th June

1998: John Charles Bryan Barnes is awarded an MBE for services to Association Football. The MBE was symbolic of the end of Barnes' career at Newcastle as their manager Ruud Gullit did nothing to mark the occasion, unlike for Stuart Pearce who had a presentation by the club. Seven months later he got a dream move to Charlton, but just twelve games after that (10 of them as a sub) and his career as a footballer was over.

• My wife memory of the gig was a woman, VERY worse for wear, throwing up into her handbag. Hope she didn't have her house keys in there!

My memory is getting my wife to take a picture of me and two of my brothers 'running' out of the players tunnel :)

I think I prefer your memory to your wife's ;-)
    You never seen Alex run then? :-0)
  • 14th June

2006: Myles Weston signs a professional deal. Nothing much came of it though; despite earning 24 England caps at various age levels, he never played a competitive match for our first team. Within a year he'd been loaned out and sold to Notts County. After a couple of seasons he was transferred to Brentford where he has now played 108 matches.

• 15th June

1982: Shane Westley signs as an apprentice, one day before his 17th birthday.
    1983: Shane Westley signs as a professional for us. He only played 8 games for us before moving on to Southend, Wolves and Brentford.
  • 16th June

1999: Danny Mills transferred to Leeds for £4,375,000. This was at the time our biggest ever sale price and has since only been beaten by Parker and Bent.
  • 17th June

1937: Saskatoon 2 Charlton 12
  • 18th June

1946: Ray Treacy born. 52 goals in 164 appearances. Ray is likely to be very busy today as his company is "the official [travel] agent for the FAI". There'll be a lot of people to bring back home after tonights match with Italy. http://www.raytreacytravel.com/

• 19th June

1909: Bert Turner born. The scorer of Charlton's fist ever Cup Final Goal. Unfortunately, a minute before that he had scored for Derby. Despite the war interfering with his career he played 196 games for Charlton, scoring three goals. He also won 8 caps for Wales.
    1937: Winnipeg 1 Charlton 9
  • 20th June

1961: Anthony Booth born. Just 8 matches and 0 goals for the late '70s forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2012
    20th June

1961: Anthony Booth born. Just 8 matches and 0 goals for the late '70s forward.
    2007: Yassin Moutaoukil signs for approx 600k Euros. High hopes coming to nothing much. He is now at Hayes & Yeading.
  • 21st June

1944: John Dunn born. Played 118 games in goal during the early '70s.
    2011: Cedric Evina signs on a two year contract. He's only 20 and I still think he will come good for us.
    2011: Therry Racon signs for the Spanners. He'd played 100 games for us and scored 7 goals in the process. So far he's cost Millwall a years wages and hasn't played once :-)
  • edited June 2012
    22nd June

1998: Today ought to be marked down as a day of celebration for fourteen years ago, to this very day, Chris Powell signed from Derby for £825,000. Three spells as a player saw Chris make 270 appearances for Charlton; most, if not all, at left back. He scored 3 goals including one in his last appearance at Coventry. He was a surprise call up in Sven's first England squad and went on to earn 5 England caps, which was at the time a record for a player at Charlton. As a manager he revitalised a failing club buy completely rebuilding the team. The style of play was much more pleasing on the eye, the spirit in his new team was fantastic and most importantly of all we started winning games. In fact, we won so many games that in his first full season as manager we gained promotion. What a guy! Has there ever been a signing that has been more important to our club than that one that took place 14 years ago?

• 23rd June

1937: Toronto 1 Charlton 6
  • edited June 2012
    24th June

1992: Ruben Bover Izquierdo born. So far he has only made a couple of cup appearances for Charlton. Perhaps that will change when the 20 year old comes back from loan at Deportivo San Roque de Lepe.
    2004: Dennis Rommedahl signs for £2m from PSV. Sadly the excitement of this deal didn't last too long. Dennis, in his mid 20s should have been in his prime, but for one reason or another never cut the mustard with Charlton. Still, we've always got this to remember him by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6tjHpqOJk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL2B53F5D309319B2F (Goal action starts at about 5.20, but you might just enjoy Johnson v Kiely at 3.45)
  • 25th June

2007: Jose Semedo came on a free from Sporting Clube de Portugal, but he wasn't very keen on our neighbours.

• cheers Stig that 'Dennis in the last minute' brought a smile to my face and i'd forgotten about deanos great penalty save

oh for players of the ability we had in our team there to grace us again
  • 26th June

1937: New York 0 Charlton 7
  • edited June 2012
    27th June

2011: The re-building continues as Dale Stephens joins from Oldham. Just 23 minutes into his first match, he would score his first goal for us and get our promotion season up and running.

• 28th June

1928: Alex Macfarlane becomes the first Charlton manger to have two stints in charge of the club.