Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Save the Pub campaign

edited December 2011 in General Charlton

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/6844

Ok,
I know I am going to get some stick as this has come from a political source
but I am pretty confident most of you agree with me what the previous
and current goverment have done which is helping shutting pubs down with
the high taxes being put on them does not help the pub at all. Not to
forget we sell cheap booze in supermarkets so if someone wants a drink
they are more likely to go in the supermarket than buy a pint in the
pub.

Whether your Labour, Tory or Lib Dem surely you don't want to see your local pub shut down, especially pubs near The Valley?

Please sign above and see UKIP's campaign to save the pub.

http://www.savethepub.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    Signed
  • Options
    What are pubcos?
  • Options
    I'm doing my bit for it this afternoon
  • Options
    That petition seems to be more about investigating the practices of pub chains, etc, rather than "saving the pub". 
  • Options
    What are pubcos?
    Companies that own/run pubs, such as Wetherspoons, Slug and Lettuce, Ember Inns, etc.
  • Options
    This is a better petition.

• Options
    Have signed both :0D
  • Options

I have signed, the pub trade is essential to the fabric of what is left of our society.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prices in supermarkets will go up, thus more people will go to the pub as it will be more cost effective for them
  • Options
    Prices in supermarkets will go up, thus more people will go to the pub as it will be more cost effective for them
    Most pubs sometimes buy booze from supermarkets so that would not make a difference
  • Options
    Most pubs sometimes buy booze from supermarkets so that would not make a difference
    I don't know a single one that does that
  • Options
    What are pubcos?
    Companies that own/run pubs, such as Wetherspoons, Slug and Lettuce, Ember Inns, etc.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Trust me they do. A pub and a social club I used to go to buy some booze from Tesco.
  • Options
    That assumes people drink at home as an alternative to going to the pub, rather than just drinking at home as something pleasurable (or habitual) in its own right.  That may be the case for some, but I think its too simplistic to think that everyone's going to bomb down to the boozer just because the price of wine in Tesco has gone up.
  • Options
    I understood that most publicans live in fear of being caught doing that.
    They are tied into punitative agreements to buy all alcohol from the owners supply company.
    my brother in law is something to do with CAMRA and sees pubcos as something akin to Satan

CAMRA welcomed the Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee
    Report on Pub Companies. Last year, the preceding Committee offered the
    PubCos and the industry in general a final opportunity for
    self-regulated reform. It made clear that, if the industry did not
    deliver reform within a year, Government Intervention would be
    necessary.

Mike Benner, CAMRA Chief Executive, said:

"Too many of the UK's pubs are blighted by the actions of the large
    pub companies whose business model has been so reliant on exploiting a
    position of power to the cost of pub licensees, communities and the
    consumer. The committee's recommendations seek an end to barriers to
    growth in the pub sector, a culture of inflexibility and artificially
    inflated beer prices. We now urge the Government to show it's on the
    consumer's side by following through on its promise to take action on
    the back of these recommendations".

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't forget to distinguish between "Free Houses" and "Tied Houses".

The Tied House is contracted to buy its beer from the brewery, or more commonly nowadays, the Pubco - these are the pubs that are struggling to survive, because they can only buy their stock at inflated "contract" prices.

Free House owners can buy their beer from whomever and wherever they like; incredibly, often from the same distributor as the tied house but very much cheaper. Free Houses can charge the customer less and make a good living.

That is the inequality in the pub trade that is driving tied house tenant landlords to the wall.

• Options
    I understood that most publicans live in fear of being caught doing that.
    They are tied into punitative agreements to buy all alcohol from the owners supply company.
    my brother in law is something to do with CAMRA and sees pubcos as something akin to Satan

CAMRA welcomed the Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee
    Report on Pub Companies. Last year, the preceding Committee offered the
    PubCos and the industry in general a final opportunity for
    self-regulated reform. It made clear that, if the industry did not
    deliver reform within a year, Government Intervention would be
    necessary.

Mike Benner, CAMRA Chief Executive, said:

"Too many of the UK's pubs are blighted by the actions of the large
    pub companies whose business model has been so reliant on exploiting a
    position of power to the cost of pub licensees, communities and the
    consumer. The committee's recommendations seek an end to barriers to
    growth in the pub sector, a culture of inflexibility and artificially
    inflated beer prices. We now urge the Government to show it's on the
    consumer's side by following through on its promise to take action on
    the back of these recommendations".

So do CAMRA recomend signing this petition?
  • Options
    That assumes people drink at home as an alternative to going to the pub, rather than just drinking at home as something pleasurable (or habitual) in its own right.  That may be the case for some, but I think its too simplistic to think that everyone's going to bomb down to the boozer just because the price of wine in Tesco has gone up.
    In Tesco they do offers for like 3 for two cases of 6 per pack of fosters
    which obviously costs less than you would if you were going into the
    pub.

What I think this goverment should do is increase the price
    of Beer and Wine in supermarkets and stop doing offers like 3 for 2.
    They should do a special deal for pub landlords who want to buy beers
    from brewers and supermarkets for a reasonable discount. This will
    encourage more people going into pubs because the price would be lower
    than what it would be in Tesco and the pubs will have more people coming
    and create a greater atmosphere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know my B-I-Law is enthused by a ''Protect Town Centre Diversity'' e petition, which seems eminently sensible to my ill informed eyes.

Disco
    i think the government have plans in motion  - the only feasable legislation being minimum pricing - to help the pub trade, but you cant go too far down your line of thinking, otherwise you will be demanding supermarkets sell food at a higher price to generate income for restaurants!
  • Options
    In Tesco they do offers for like 3 for two cases of 6 per pack of fosters
    which obviously costs less than you would if you were going into the
    pub.

What I think this goverment should do is increase the price
    of Beer and Wine in supermarkets and stop doing offers like 3 for 2.
    They should do a special deal for pub landlords who want to buy beers
    from brewers and supermarkets for a reasonable discount. This will
    encourage more people going into pubs because the price would be lower
    than what it would be in Tesco and the pubs will have more people coming
    and create a greater atmosphere.
    No government should be able to directly influence a supermarkets trading like that, its fundamentally wrong...

They should be able to sell any product at the price (including offers such as bogof) they feel is right for them (I.e to generate business)...

The quality of beer and women in pubs these days is declining, which surely contributes to the problem...
  • Options
    I know my B-I-Law is enthused by a ''Protect Town Centre Diversity'' e petition, which seems eminently sensible to my ill informed eyes.

Disco
    i think the government have plans in motion  - the only feasable legislation being minimum pricing - to help the pub trade, but you cant go too far down your line of thinking, otherwise you will be demanding supermarkets sell food at a higher price to generate income for restaurants!
    Unfortunatly another issue that relates to cheap beer pricing in Supermarkets is the health issue, which is why I agree with the minimum pricing. What puts some people off going into pubs is the drink prices so I don't think this new structure would make a difference, I hope I am wrong though.

I would not compare beer to food pricing so I am not entirely sure why you would suggest supermarkets would have to sell food at a higher price? Although my views on this may be over the top a little but I don't believe these pub landlords are getting a good deal in terms of running a pub. Which is why I think they should have some special deal with companies like Tesco and other brewers.

• Options

The quality of beer and women in pubs these days is declining, which surely contributes to the problem...
    I agree Rob but that is to do with landlords not cleaning the pipes properly. It's funny you go to one pub and the quality of the beer is poor then you go to another pub and you can easily taste the difference.
  • Options
    Do you ask every landlord you meet where they buy their beer from then?