Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    Sorted.
  • Options

Six months ago I started having lessons with a local guy who plays in a Rock and a Blues Band and asked him to push me outside of my comfort zone. He definitely did that.

Last night I did my first 'gig', which was an open mic at the Dog House in Mersham near Ashford. It was awesome and a great learning step.

I played and sung Pancho and Lefty on the acoustic, one of Willie Nelson's with the backing of the band, then followed up with Black Magic Woman on the electric.

I muffed a solo on Black Magic Woman, but got through it and it was a great learning curve.

A totally difference experience with a band playing behind you and an audience, even if it was only the wives and friends of the band and few customers. The other musicians were really supportive.

I can't wait to do it again.

PS Don't think at 64 I'll be making a career out of it :-)

"Oldboyzone" ;)
  • Options
    Thread resurrection!

I’ve played on and off for about 14 years now. I bought my electric about 10 years ago. With one thing and another I’m thinking of selling it and thought I’d offer it here first.

It’s a Burns Marquee Special. Serial number dates it to 2005. I’m pretty sure they only made these for a few years (could be wrong though) and they don’t make them any more.

It’s a wine red solid alder body with a rosewood fingerboard. It’s got a few very minor scratches and plays like a dream. I’ve got fairly new Ernie Ball regular slinky strings on there. I’ll attach a photo of it.

I bought it for £500 but I’ll take £350 for it from one of you guys. Otherwise I’ll stick it up for sale next week at £375.

I probably could ship it from my work at extra cost, otherwise it’s collection from either Forest Hill or London Bridge.

Let me know if you’re interested!
  • Options
    Has anyone got a multi-effects pedal they'd like to move on?
  • Options
    Shame, I gave away three or four single pedals a few months back.
    For messing about at home or using live?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.
  • Options
    I got given a Ukulele for Christmas, think people want me to take up a new hobby. Anyone else play this themselves?
    I was bought a ukulele (concert) last year for my birthday. Absolutely love playing it. Easy to play especially if you have played a guitar, although it’s seriously affected my guitar playing. There’s a great app “Tabs” that provide chords (guitar/ukulele) for every song. I’m also learning to play the piano which is a real challenge (wished I started when a kid). 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I got given a Ukulele for Christmas, think people want me to take up a new hobby. Anyone else play this themselves?
    I was bought a ukulele (concert) last year for my birthday. Absolutely love playing it. Easy to play especially if you have played a guitar, although it’s seriously affected my guitar playing. There’s a great app “Tabs” that provide chords (guitar/ukulele) for every song. I’m also learning to play the piano which is a real challenge (wished I started when a kid). 
    Nice one, @Solidgone. A lot of people seem to under-rate the ukulele.

People need to spend enough money to buy a decent playable one, as you would if you bought a guitar. It needs to be a proper instrument.
    A £20 ukulele is a toy for 5-year olds.

I play acoustic guitar but I'm a ukukele player too. Absolutely love my ukes (you'll soon realise it's impossible to have only one!) ...... at the moment, I've got the little Soprano that I started on and a Concert that I Ieave around the house just to knock about on while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or to take into the garden. Plus a decent quality all solid mahogany Uluru concert with pick up for Jam Night/ Folk Club sessions (all sadly Covid victims right now) a big brother Baritone (guitar tuning) and a Banjolele for the wild card/something different sound.

Each of these ukuleles has a different 'voice' - and they all sound different from each other.
    Badly need a deeper sounding Tenor size so as to make playing jazz chords up the fingerboard a bit easier. 

And if you're already a guitarist, then learning ukulele is a piece of cake ...... in effect the ukulele is a cut down guitar; the standard tuning G-C-E-A resembles a guitar capo'ed on the 5th fret (obviously without the guitar's 2 bass strings).
    Mostly guitar chord shapes or adaptions of them. If you can play guitar, you can play ukulele.

If you can't play guitar but want to learn, you'll find the ukulele much easier to play.
    And everything you learn on the uke can be transferred to guitar playing later.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Solidgone said:

People need to spend enough money to buy a decent playable one, as you would if you bought a guitar. It needs to be a proper instrument.

I play acoustic guitar but I'm a ukukele player too. Absolutely love my ukes (you'll soon realise it's impossible to have only one!) ...... at the moment, I've got the little Soprano that I started on and a Concert that I Ieave around the house just to knock about on while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or to take into the garden. Plus a decent quality all solid mahogany Uluru concert with pick up for Jam Night/ Folk Club sessions (all sadly Covid victims right now) a big brother Baritone (guitar tuning) and a Banjolele for the wild card/something different sound.

Each of these ukuleles has a different 'voice' - and they all sound different from each other.
    Badly need a deeper sounding Tenor size so as to make playing jazz chords up the fingerboard a bit easier. 

And if you're already a guitarist, then learning ukulele is a piece of cake ...... in effect the ukulele is a cut down guitar; the standard tuning G-C-E-A resembles a guitar capo'ed on the 5th fret (obviously without the guitar's 2 bass strings).
    Mostly guitar chord shapes or adaptions of them. If you can play guitar, you can play ukulele.

If you can't play guitar but want to learn, you'll find the ukulele much easier to play.

@OggRed You are right about wanting to buy more Ukues. But I’m not sure which ones to buy. Obviously not the cheap end of the market but not aware of the makes. A bit like what are the ukues equivalent of the Gibson/Stratocaster etc?
  • Options
    @Oggy Red have you ever played a cigar box guitar?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Solidgone said:

@OggRed You are right about wanting to buy more Ukues. But I’m not sure which ones to buy. Obviously not the cheap end of the market but not aware of the makes. A bit like what are the ukues equivalent of the Gibson/Stratocaster etc?
    Ah, if you're looking for purely electric sounds, then those electric ukuleles made by Risa or Godin, are very good.

If you want a good electro-acoustic or acoustic fitted with pick up, then the world is your oyster.
    But remember you get what you pay for. Same as for a guitar.

It all depends what you want to do with it  though ..... is it for gigging or plugging in at a Jam night/Open Mic?
    Or just at home for pleasure or recording?

A good starting part I'd recommend is: https://www.gotaukulele.com/ where there's lot of reviews/video of a plethora of ukes. plus helpful tips.

And if you do buy, rather than from the discount box shifter warehouses on line/Amazon? cheap Chinese sh*t ....... buy from a reputable music shop where they are approachable for a chat/phone call, will set up the ukulele properly and provide good after sales service.

Links on the Got a Ukulele website above. They are all enthusiasts and they love and play the ukulele themselves.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    No, I haven't @PopIcon ..... they sound a bit of fun though. I've seen these 3 string versions played in an open D  or G tuning.
    And those made with metal petrol cans as well ..... (!)

Why, have you got one/made one and play it?

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.
    I've got a few pedals for sale, none are multi effects though.

Off the top of my head I've got an a Memory Boy Deluxe by EXH, its brand new and boxed and hardly used. I brought the Canyon Deluxe about two weeks later which has the loop function.
    I also have an Arbiter Fuzzface made by Dennis Cornell that I want to offload.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:
    No, I haven't @PopIcon ..... they sound a bit of fun though. I've seen these 3 string versions played in an open D  or G tuning.

Yes, indeed three strings and tunded to G.

It's hand made and looks great, I'll put a photo up at some point. I just cannot get the thing to sound good. I've played the guitar for years and the three strings just sound whiperish. I might try changing the gauge of the strings.
  • Options
    What's the general verdict on Harley Benton guitars?  
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.

Off the top of my head I've got an a Memory Boy Deluxe by EXH, its brand new and boxed and hardly used. I brought the Canyon Deluxe about two weeks later which has the loop function.
    Thanks but i fancy something like a boss me 80.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.

I've never been a huge fan of Boss multi-pedals, but to be honest it has been many years since I owned a multi effects. I'm sure someone on here could advise. @Greenie maybe?

My only advice would be to make sure it comes with an expression pedal.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.

I've never been a huge fan of Boss multi-pedals, but to be honest it has been many years since I owned a multi effects. I'm sure someone on here could advise. @Greenie maybe?

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:

It's hand made and looks great, I'll put a photo up at some point. I just cannot get the thing to sound good. I've played the guitar for years and the three strings just sound whiperish. I might try changing the gauge of the strings.
    It's just a wooden cigar box for the soundbox though, made of thick(ish) pine? Probably ideal for containing cigars rather than decent musical tone. :smile:

It'll probably sound much better (and loud) if you fit a cheap pick up to it and run it through a pre-amp.
    Here's how one bloke does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGtHNLKi7Qo&ab_channel=SoundboxGuitars

@Poplcon

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Chizz said:
    What's the general verdict on Harley Benton guitars?  
    Never played them.

Harley Benton are the house brand name of Thomann, big German musical instrument seller, with huge online presence and a big warehouse. They're box shifters and don't 'set up' guitars to make them playable.

Should you get a guitar from them you'll invariably need to get it set up to make it easier to play.
    That will cost you extra.

Remember you always get what you pay for. It may be better to look around and check out some reviews of HBs as well as other brands. There's a lot of options out there.

If you're going to buy, nothing beats going to a proper music shop and trying out different guitars to see what feels right and sounds good. And if it's a good music shop, they'll take pride in making sure the guitar is set up for you.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Teaching myself to play the drums at the moment and gotta say it's much harder than it looks
  • Options
    Teaching myself to play the drums at the moment and gotta say it's much harder than it looks
    Well done @i_b_b_o_r_g    ....... but watchya doing on a 'Playing the Guitar' thread?' smile:

But good luck with the drums, Rob.

#feelsorryfortheneighbours

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:

It's just a wooden cigar box for the soundbox though, made of thick(ish) pine? Probably ideal for containing cigars rather than decent musical tone. :smile:

It'll probably sound much better (and loud) if you fit a cheap pick up to it and run it through a pre-amp.

@Poplcon

It has a little pick up in it already. I guess the problem is, it sounds exactly like I'm playing through a tin can.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    PopIcon said:

@Poplcon

It has a little pick up in it already. I guess the problem is, it sounds exactly like I'm playing through a tin can.

Wow, that's certainly different @Poplcon

It probably sounds exactly like you're playing through a tin can. :smile:

Heavier gauge strings might help towards the sound you want - but probably some reverb or distortion will make more difference.
    I dunno. You've just got to play around with it I guess.

It'll suit some tunes better than others, perhaps?

Anybody else out there got any ideas to help Poplcon?

• Options
    Can't help as I've never had a guitar of that type. I have been tempted to pick up one of those oil can guitars as I reckon they would be awesome for slide.
  • Options

I've been having a go as well, I agree not as easy as some make it look.  Having lessons in Folkestone.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Just messing around.

Cheers.
    My tuppence worth, bought a Helix LT a year or so ago and then the Powercab212.  Absolutely outstanding for the money.  I would have a look at the Helix range over the Boss stuff.

As for expression pedals, definitely need one but a lot of people also get an off-board wah as well.