Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Been finger picking 'The Big Ship sails..' in memory of Big Dave Shipperley.
  • edited January 2017
    DA9 said:

Would people advise as a complete novice, to go and have a few lessons first, as wouldn't even know how to tune or string a guitar if needed, or try YouTube self teaching videos (if so, which ones?)

TIA

Get a few lessons first.
    If somebody local can point you to a teacher they can recommend - then it's a no-brainer.

You'll be shown how to do things the right way straightaway and shouldn't develop bad habits that could hinder your progress in years to come.
    But however good the teacher, it's you who needs to put in the practice routinely. No practice, no progress.

As already said, Youtube is a fantastic resource - but the quality of instruction can range from brilliant to meh.
    Great for seeing techniques and learning new songs though.

The fact that you already participate in jam sessions means you can get to know other guitarists.
    Don't be fazed by them. They'll no doubt be of all different levels, but many will be happy to help pass on tips and show you stuff - and they were all beginners once, remember.

Do it and Good Luck!

• My route from absolute beginner around 10 years ago was

- guitar lessons with a good local teacher - probably around 10 - just to get to know the basics
    - Marty Schwartz on youtube - i really like his style & followed all his courses
    - having local friends to play with

I now subscribe to a few year long subscriptions - currently jamplay.com

The key really was always having my guitar close by, so i could play it easily (i.e having in the lounge, not hidden away in an upstairs bedroom) & also buying a good guitar early on - i bought a beautiful Taylor acoustic & Custom Fender Tele / Silverface Amp. Investing all that dosh made me more determined to play & get a return on my investment.

One of the best things i ever did - love playing now - have set myself a 2017 challenge of learning a different Beatles song in depth every week - so far have learnt 8 Days A Week, Lady Madonna & We Can Work It Out. Haven't picked this weeks's song yet...
  • Oakster said:

My route from absolute beginner around 10 years ago was

- guitar lessons with a good local teacher - probably around 10 - just to get to know the basics
    - Marty Schwartz on youtube - i really like his style & followed all his courses
    - having local friends to play with

I now subscribe to a few year long subscriptions - currently jamplay.com

The key really was always having my guitar close by, so i could play it easily (i.e having in the lounge, not hidden away in an upstairs bedroom) & also buying a good guitar early on - i bought a beautiful Taylor acoustic & Custom Fender Tele / Silverface Amp. Investing all that dosh made me more determined to play & get a return on my investment.

One of the best things i ever did - love playing now - have set myself a 2017 challenge of learning a different Beatles song in depth every week - so far have learnt 8 Days A Week, Lady Madonna & We Can Work It Out. Haven't picked this weeks's song yet...

Good post, Oakster.

And as you say, always keep your guitar handy to play in odd moments.

• Chizz said:

DA9 said:

I am well aware that this is probably a mid life crisis thing, but, been toying with the idea of learning for last couple of years, go to loads of Rock & Roll jam sessions, and always fancied playing rather than singing, which I do occasionally, have my uncles acoustic guitar in my loft.
    Would people advise as a complete novice, to go and have a few lessons first, as wouldn't even know how to tune or string a guitar if needed, or try YouTube self teaching videos (if so, which ones?)

TIA

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it. Because you'll learn much more when you're enjoying it.

Other than that, I will give you two bits of really good advice.

1. Marty Schwartz.

2. From time to time, crank up the volume to eleven and play it as LOUD as you possibly can. And if people moan at you, f*** 'em! There's really nothing better than thrashing out bit of your favourite type of music at window-rattling volume. Go for it!
    Love it lol
  • Chizz said:

DA9 said:

I am well aware that this is probably a mid life crisis thing, but, been toying with the idea of learning for last couple of years, go to loads of Rock & Roll jam sessions, and always fancied playing rather than singing, which I do occasionally, have my uncles acoustic guitar in my loft.

TIA

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it. Because you'll learn much more when you're enjoying it.

1. Marty Schwartz.

2. From time to time, crank up the volume to eleven and play it as LOUD as you possibly can. And if people moan at you, f*** 'em! There's really nothing better than thrashing out bit of your favourite type of music at window-rattling volume. Go for it!
    Yep! When you start tackling barre or power chords Blitzkrieg Bop / Louie Louie / Wild Thing all follow similar simple progressions and sound great cranked!
  • Chizz said:

DA9 said:

TIA

1. Marty Schwartz.

Deffo, if only for his enthusiasm.
  • I would love to be able to play acoustic guitar, I have had a few lessons and tried to stick with it but the tutor kindly told me my fingers are too big and have I considered the keyboard :neutral:
  • I would love to be able to play acoustic guitar, I have had a few lessons and tried to stick with it but the tutor kindly told me my fingers are too big and have I considered the keyboard :neutral:

lol.

Best get a keyboard then.

Seriously Mike, even with bigger fingers, if you want to play guitar, just do it anyway.
    I don't suppose you have any pretensions of being a legendary virtuoso performer - just learn to play enough so that you can accompany yourself or a friend and have a bit of fun.

• Sponsored links:

• Following up on this thread, I finally took the plunge last night and went for my first lesson. Not bad after 20 years or so of pretending to play, and I was just so pleased to be able to listen to somebody who knew what they were doing and could show me the ropes.

Looking forward to some more lessons and learning some Blues riffs etc.

Stick at it!
    And when they tell you to learn the scales, learn the scales.

Something I regret is that I stopped going to lessons when they started trying to teach me to read music and learn scales etc.

Still enjoy playing but I'd be a lot better for it if I'd learnt them to start with.
  • I played my first gig in 9 years last month, nothing beats getting up on stage and making loud noises!
  • Anyone on here provide a really simple explanation of modes - i.e mixolydian, aeolian etc ?
  • edited March 2017

Following up on this thread, I finally took the plunge last night and went for my first lesson. Not bad after 20 years or so of pretending to play, and I was just so pleased to be able to listen to somebody who knew what they were doing and could show me the ropes.

Stick at it!

Something I regret is that I stopped going to lessons when they started trying to teach me to read music and learn scales etc.

Still enjoy playing but I'd be a lot better for it if I'd learnt them to start with.
    Yes, thanks Leeds I certainly intend to. We started the first lesson with a Blues block in A and he wants to progress to scales in the next few lessons. Not fussed about reading music as Tabs is the way forward for me. He was alluding to an open mike night at the local micro pub, but we'll see about that in time. :-)

I think another way forward is playing alongside somebody else, which seems to create confidence too.

• Oakster said:

Anyone on here provide a really simple explanation of modes - i.e mixolydian, aeolian etc ?

I think we can safely assume...................................no.
  • Oggy Red said:

I would love to be able to play acoustic guitar, I have had a few lessons and tried to stick with it but the tutor kindly told me my fingers are too big and have I considered the keyboard :neutral:

lol.

Seriously Mike, even with bigger fingers, if you want to play guitar, just do it anyway.
    I don't suppose you have any pretensions of being a legendary virtuoso performer - just learn to play enough so that you can accompany yourself or a friend and have a bit of fun.

I have big fingers too Mike, and have some trouble reaching some positions, but I've been told to watch people like Angus Young/Keith Richard/John Lee Hooker videos etc and how they move their hands on the fret. I was convinced I had to keep mine rigid like the books say, but there are no rules.
  • Following up on this thread, I finally took the plunge last night and went for my first lesson. Not bad after 20 years or so of pretending to play, and I was just so pleased to be able to listen to somebody who knew what they were doing and could show me the ropes.

Stick at it!

Yes, thanks Leeds I certainly intend to. We started the first lesson with a Blues block in A and he wants to progress to scales in the next few lessons. Not fussed about reading music as Tabs is the way forward for me. He was alluding to an open mike night at the local micro pub, but we'll see about that in time. :-)

I think another way forward is playing alongside somebody else, which seems to create confidence too.

Get a book of scales and just keep going over them. Also keep your guitar somewhere within easy reach so every time you walk past it, pick it up even for a few minutes.
  • BBC4 9pm tonight - The Story of the Sideman.

A 90 minute film bigging up the backing musicians who share the stage with the world's superstars.

i.e. the talented men who don't get the credits.

Looks good.

• Oggy Red said:

I would love to be able to play acoustic guitar, I have had a few lessons and tried to stick with it but the tutor kindly told me my fingers are too big and have I considered the keyboard :neutral:

lol.

I have big fingers too Mike, and have some trouble reaching some positions, but I've been told to watch people like Angus Young/Keith Richard/John Lee Hooker videos etc and how they move their hands on the fret. I was convinced I had to keep mine rigid like the books say, but there are no rules.
    One of my hero's and the reason I own a Flying V, Mr Albert King - fingers the size of Taste The Difference Cumberland sausages, so no "big fingers" excuses please. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyVhBfIFbiQ
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

Six months ago I started having lessons with a local guy who plays in a Rock and a Blues Band and asked him to push me outside of my comfort zone. He definitely did that.

Last night I did my first 'gig', which was an open mic at the Dog House in Mersham near Ashford. It was awesome and a great learning step.

I played and sung Pancho and Lefty on the acoustic, one of Willie Nelson's with the backing of the band, then followed up with Black Magic Woman on the electric.

I muffed a solo on Black Magic Woman, but got through it and it was a great learning curve.

A totally difference experience with a band playing behind you and an audience, even if it was only the wives and friends of the band and few customers. The other musicians were really supportive.

I can't wait to do it again.

PS Don't think at 64 I'll be making a career out of it :-)

Well done MAM, its great fun isn't it?
  • Shameless plug coming up.
    My lot are playing at The Crayford Arms tomorrow night, Amps on at about 8-30pm.
    If you fancy a bit of a shindig come along, we've got some top players in the band.
    Free entry as well.
  • Six months ago I started having lessons with a local guy who plays in a Rock and a Blues Band and asked him to push me outside of my comfort zone. He definitely did that.

Last night I did my first 'gig', which was an open mic at the Dog House in Mersham near Ashford. It was awesome and a great learning step.

I played and sung Pancho and Lefty on the acoustic, one of Willie Nelson's with the backing of the band, then followed up with Black Magic Woman on the electric.

I muffed a solo on Black Magic Woman, but got through it and it was a great learning curve.

A totally difference experience with a band playing behind you and an audience, even if it was only the wives and friends of the band and few customers. The other musicians were really supportive.

That's great, but Pancho and Lefty is by Townes van Zandt....absolutely awesome song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4

• Well played, Mr Milletts. Did you pick Pancho & Lefty with thumb & fingerpicks like in the vid?

• Classic........!
  • Oggy Red said:

Well played, Mr Milletts. Did you pick Pancho & Lefty with thumb & fingerpicks like in the vid?

Naturally..... ;-)

• Six months ago I started having lessons with a local guy who plays in a Rock and a Blues Band and asked him to push me outside of my comfort zone. He definitely did that.

That's great, but Pancho and Lefty is by Townes van Zandt....absolutely awesome song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4
    Yes, you're right, he did. I think I really meant the version by Willie Nelson and late Merle Haggard is the one I prefer.

And it is an awesome song.
  • If any young lifers would like to try their hand i'm going to put these on Gumtree soon but to one of us £100.
  • edited October 2017

If any young lifers would like to try their hand i'm going to put these on Gumtree soon but to one of us £100.

Me Mick..
    I'm not a young lifer, but just a bit older than you.